EDT Qualifications

Annagain

Visit site
I’ve seen a post on Facebook listing EDTs in my area and noticed that several I know of don’t seem to be members of the British Association of Equine Dental Technicians. My dentist is on the list but several who are highly recommended locally aren’t.

I assumed, therefore, that membership of the association is not the same as being qualified so tried to do some research. I’ve googled what qualifications EDTs need and it’s seems there are a choice of two, one from the British Equine Veterinary Association or one from the British Veterinary Dental Association. Neither is from the BAEDT itself. While you must have one of these to register with the BAEDT, I assume registration is not a requirement to practice?

What I can’t find, however is a list of qualified EDTs who aren’t members of BAEDT. Does anyone happen to know if one exists or if not, how you establish whether a dentist is suitably qualified? I’m just curious as I can’t imagine all these people are operating without qualifications but I also wonder why they wouldn’t register with the association if they have the qualifications? Is it very expensive to join? Are there politics at work that make people reluctant to become members?

The post suggested (although didn’t say explicitly) if your EDT wasn’t on the list you shouldn’t be using them. Is that legally correct or just scaring people into using their members?

Sorry that ended up really long!

Equi

Visit site
I know a fellow doing teeth along with feet, who merely took a course on it one day. That about sums it up. But tbf, he actually helped my horse out in a sticky situation when he had a sharp point on one front tooth that really did not warrent a full EDT appointment but just needed a little rasp that i would have done myself had i owned a rasp..

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
2 vets out of 4 at my local practice were with BAEDT, but didnt renew last year. These 2 are very well regarded locally, 1 came today to do a job for me that required work a baedt couldn't do, as they cant do the anaesthetic etc, whereas vet can.

There are a number of EDTs locally, not many are on the BAEDT list tho.
I'm happy to be corrected, but if a EDT isn't a BAEDT or vet, then it's a potential insurance issue if things go wrong, like a non qualified person doing farriery on others horses.

meleeka

Visit site
My EDT is on the list and I also know of someone who is often recommended that has only done a basic course. It wouldn’t be so bad but he criticises the methods used by properly qualified people. I think they have to go on a training course once a year with the BAEDT to show their competence.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
I think some are off the list if they haven't managed to do CPD at some point (I suspect this is the case with one I know of as he had a lot of health issues a while back), and if you have a big enough client base that know that you are 'qualified'.
Not aware of a list that accounts for those opting out of BAEDT registration though.

molar roller

Visit site
I'm litle bit confused, I hope someone explain that what I miss

In united states there is a qualification if you want to take it you go to exam including written + practical parts. Little bit costly, like 1100$
As an equine dental school student you can try this way ; Once you find a decent equine dental school in US. At the school you do not need to buy any tools. The school provides tools and you can use them while training. Schools provide apprenticeship too. After graduation and appranticeship when you feel ready to work you can buy your tools and start to business. After you spend couple years or more if you feel ready yourself you go to exam in Texas. In fact most North American dental technicians no have any qualification. Is everything perfect in US? Nope, but there is a sensible system and still developing.

maybe I'm totally wrong or I miss something but situation is litte bit confusing about UK system. I do not know any decent equine dental school in UK. (if there is please let me know) All I know that is BAEDT doesn't provide any education/training/appranticeship for candicates either . In this point I ask myself -BAEDT organises this exam but what is source of know-how?- BAEDT asks 1000 GBP for exam and recommeds a 2 days lecture course which cost about 450ish. Also if you wanna stay on the list you have yo pay for renewal every single year... but I can not see any training in this process.

You can say -candidates spend couple years with experienced BAEDT member dental technicians that is the source of know how-
but then I gonna ask - what is the experienced BAEDT member dental technician's source of know how?
You can work with a perfect BAEDT member practitioners so please do not offense just an approach from outside. like I said, maybe I miss something.

EventingMum

Visit site
Annagain, the BAEDT is the association open to people who have passed the BEVA/BVDA exam - it's one exam overseen jointly by the two bodies and as far as I'm aware no list exists of those who have passed the exam but not joined or are no longer a member of BAEDT.

Unfortunately, at present, there is no college course offering training. A few years ago Hartpury offered a BSc (Hons) in Equine Dental Science and then also offered a foundation degree which included a year's placement in it with a qualified EDT. It was difficult for EDTs to offer placements due to insurance restrictions and other factors. The courses only had a small intake so as not to flood the market and, from what I heard were expensive for the college to run and they stopped offering the courses. Another college (Plumpton?) was going to do a course but it either didn't start or was very short lived.

Those that graduated from Hartpury had exemption from the theoretical part of the BEVA/BVDA exam but still had to compile a portfolio of 300 cases including 40 advanced procedure cases and have two references, one from a vet and one from a BAEDT qualified member plus at least 5 days training by a suitably qualified vet or EDT before sitting the practical exam.

Once the BEVA/BVDA exam has been passed the person can then join the BAEDT. Each member has to pay an annual registration fee, provide evidence of insurance and undertake regular CPD each year and a have a three yearly assessment of their work to remain a member. Obviously, those who have passed the exam do not have to join the BAEDT but for the horse owner it gives peace of mind that they are qualified, hold insurance and undertake CPD regularly. IMO this parallels many other professions where practitioners hold registration with a governing body except in equine dentistry some choose to practice without it whereas, say in human medicine registration with the GMC is mandatory. If someone wishes to clarify if an EDT is qualified but not a BAEDT member the simplest way would be to ask for sight of their qualifications although there would be no way of knowing if their work had been assessed recently or they had undertaken any CPD.

As far as training to become an EDT the best way to approach it is to seek an apprenticeship with a qualified EDT or vet. It is not practical for all to take on apprentices eg my son travels great distances due to where he lives so an apprentice would have to also travel whereas someone in a more densely equine populated area could get more training or experience in a shorter period of time. If an apprenticeship is secured the BAEDT have student memberships which offer help and support and access to training courses.

Molar roller I'm not sure I understand your question? BAEDT members will gain their know-how from vets with an interest in dentistry, examiners, conferences with guest speakers, courses and also assessment of their work on an on-going basis in a similar fashion to other professions which regulate their members. Obviously, it is expensive to sit the exams as facilities have to be hired, suitable experts, insurance etc have to be paid and there are sedation costs for the horses used so it is inevitable that these costs are passed onto the participants.

Sadly there is a lack of legislation regarding who can carry out basic dental procedures in the UK and there are many unqualified people working, often illegally carrying out procedures they are unqualified and therefore uninsured to do. Many people have very limited knowledge of equine dentistry and will recommend someone who is substandard and so unqualified people can gain quite a following. Equines can be amazingly stoic about dental pain and therefore owners can be unaware of whether or not a competent treatment has been carried out. Sadly too, many unqualified people love to criticise those who have put a lot of time, effort and money into training presumably to cover up their own shortcomings.

molar roller

Visit site
Thanks EM, so I understand that there is not any formal dentistry school but young people try to catch all kind of education and apprenticeship oportunities. sounds good.

EventingMum

Visit site
Thanks EM, so I understand that there is not any formal dentistry school but young people try to catch all kind of education and apprenticeship oportunities. sounds good.
Basically, yes. My son was lucky enough to do the degree at Hartpury and then practical training with some excellent EDTs, it's much harder now for young people. There was a so called private college that offered a one week course for several thousand £s but I don't know if it is still running and certainly wasn't accredited in any way.

Dancing_Diva

Visit site
There are two main associations for Equine Dental Technicians,
the BAEDT is the association the EDT’s register with and the BVDA is one of the bodies that recognise/examine all EDT’s who are training/qualified, the other group that has a fully recognised exam and qualification is the WWAED UK, there is a list of level 2 qualified EDT’s from either association on the respective web sites, however, not all EDT’s who have qualified are on the WWAED web site, unfortunately this seems to have become an increasingly political area of the equine industry, and rightly so in some respects! Unfortunately for some EDT’s who have trained extensively, spent thousands and gained the qualifications through a recognised route are being airbrushed from one of the associations web sites, not through any misdemeanour or through poor workmanship but due to varying reasons, territory being one, breaks from membership for having children another, once out they are removed completely from the associations web page as if they were never members. Once you are no longer a full member of this particular association you cannot register with the other unless you re train and take the other associations exam which again involves huge financial outlay, not always viable when it has taken years to train and in most cases thousands of pounds. There are some fantastic EDT’s who are no longer registered, I would advise contacting any EDT and asking for details of whom they trained/qualified with and making sure they are fully insured, I know I am happy to answer any queries honestly on this topic, it is not as cut and dried as it may seem.