Eeeeek, a 'HOW MUCH'!

Mooch

photobucket.com
I'm in a bit of a muddle really and came on here for some help.

I spotted the 'sticky' at the top about 'how much' posts and had a little panic. Having read it, I think I am ok to ask you all for some help.

I have received the devestating news that I am to loose the land I rent. :mad:, having weighed up all my options I think I am going to have to sell my horses.

Here the problem lies. I haven't got a clue what price I should advertise Milly for. I have looked though adverts but I am still in the dark.

Milly is a 17.2hh ID xTB (Ard Grandpa, Sea Crest x Busted Crepello), 12yr old, grey mare.

I have competed her in Local level dressage, in hand and ridden showing and taken part in fun rides. She has show jumped with her previous owner but not with myself. She is a dream to handle by anyone, lives in or out, excellent with any other horses and no vices. She doesn't need to be ridden daily and doesn't change no matter how long she is left.

Now, here comes the tricky part, Milly had an accident in the field last year. We don't know what happened to her, but when I found her she had a very swollen off hind and lots of scratches. Obviously she was treated by my vet and after all her initial treatment she has been turned away, to be given time for the swelling to go down. She is now ready to go back to full work, on no medication, is sound, and I'm slowly building up her riding again.

So how much would you expect to pay for a horse like this? I wouldn't want to over price her, but I also don't want to under price her and any silly muppet buy her.

*I am not trying to advertise her on here in anyway shape or form * I really do need a bit of help with this one Admin. x

Here is a pic of her.....

rsz_june08045.jpg

LadyRascasse

Visit site
you don't say what sort of a ride she is, so i take it she is a fairly sane ride that given i would say about £2500 as long as she is capable of doing RC activities and is sane

Mooch

photobucket.com
All the riding I have done with her has been at Riding Club level and there is no reason why she can't continue with it now.

Anyone could get on her and plod around. She never feels her size and doesn't use it against you. She can be lazy and likes to lean on your hands when schooing, but obviously this improves when she is ridden regularly and her fitness improves.

She has lost some confidence when hacking alone, but is great with compmany. It doesn't matter if it is just one extra horse or a whole group of you.

Thank you for your help.

LMuirEDT

www.horsedentistry.org.uk
My friend has one v similar to urs in experience, temperament, injury, etc same age, only difference is she's 16.2hh, ISHx and bay! She has her advertised at £3750 but has had absolutely no calls about her. Thinking she's therefore over priced. Wouldn't like to put a price on urs but thought it might give u some sort of idea.

Mooch

photobucket.com
Nice breeding - so some potential there too.

Thank you! I will take that as a huge compliment with all your knowledge and stunning boy! :)

Sadly, she isn't worth that sort of money, but never the less, she is more than capable of Riding Club stuff, hacking or a broodmare.

She has never hunted or jumped solid fences as far as I know. I have however caught up with the hunt and hacked back home a short distance with them (I don't think this counts though! lol).

Mooch

photobucket.com
My friend has one v similar to urs in experience, temperament, injury, etc same age, only difference is she's 16.2hh, ISHx and bay! She has her advertised at £3750 but has had absolutely no calls about her. Thinking she's therefore over priced. Wouldn't like to put a price on urs but thought it might give u some sort of idea.

Thank you, I wasn't thinking anywhere near that sort of money. But, yes it all helps. Does she have her advertised with tack and rugs too?

FestiveBoomBoom

Visit site
ooh lovely horse, I like very much! I would say you would easily get 2500, maybe a little more if suffered no lasting effects from her bump in the field. Does she come with tack and rugs? If so I reckon you could get 3k. She sounds like a genuine uncomplicated ride and very pretty too

Mooch

photobucket.com
She has her advertised as tack by separate negotiation.

Blimey, she is on the expensive side then.

I am going to do her saddle by seperate negotiation, as it is a Sue Carson one and maybe not everyone would want a Flair dressage saddle. I have a collection of turnout rugs that can go too.

Tiffany

Visit site
Might be worth asking the same question on the ID website or at least having a look at what prices similar horses are being advertised. She looks a lovely mare and breeding is good, as she ever had a foal?

doonrocket

Visit site
If she was 6 I'd buy her tomorrow. Problem is 12 year olds, people think of all the medical problems that could have built up in that time and could be an underlying cause of the sale.

Mooch

photobucket.com
Might be worth asking the same question on the ID website or at least having a look at what prices similar horses are being advertised. She looks a lovely mare and breeding is good, as she ever had a foal?

Thank you. I'll have a look at the ID website (I hadn't thought of that one). I've been looking at all the normal sales sites, but couldn't determin what was an average price, hence coming on here.

She isn't a bog standard 14.2 - 15.5hh sort of horse. Anyone could get on and ride her. I wouldn't say she was a novices horse, at 17.2hh she has a massive stride; although completely safe you do cover the ground quite quickly and this might not be everyones cup of tea. And, coupled with her previous injury I have found it difficult to price her.

Mooch

photobucket.com
Forgot the foal bit.

She was with her breeder until she was 4. Broken at 3.5yrs and sold to her previous owner at 4. They never bred a foal from her, but I honestly don't know if she had one while with the breeder (I think she would have been too young).

I certainly think she was kept with the foals the breeder had though, as she has been brilliant with the ones my friend has.

FleabittenT

Visit site
I think I'd put her up £2,950, tack separately. To me, this would reflect the slightly more negative points (age, injury, lack of hunting/jumping experience), while valuing her really good points.

This is based too on horses I saw when I recently sold my mare and bought my new girl. I was looking for something similar to her (she looks lovely, btw!), but smaller & younger. I think this would be a realistic price.

Just my thoughts! Best of luck selling her :)

Mooch

photobucket.com
If she was 6 I'd buy her tomorrow. Problem is 12 year olds, people think of all the medical problems that could have built up in that time and could be an underlying cause of the sale.

I guess it all depends what you are looking to buy and what for. If for example you were looking for something to bring on and compete, then yes; at 12 she is not the right sort of horse. You would want massive amounts of reports and winnings.

But, I would never look at '12' and think 'Ooooooooh, medical problems'. Personally I have always liked teenage horses, as I find that they have normally 'settled' in to their type of behaviour. What you see is what you get. Until I bought my 2yr old I would never have considered buying a younger horse. Like Milly, he is calm and sane and that is what drew me to him.

Parkranger

Visit site
If she's only just coming out of an injury into work again then you're not going to get alot for her - it's a massive risk forwhoever takes her on. She is gorgeous though.

Mooch

photobucket.com
I think I'd put her up £2,950, tack separately. To me, this would reflect the slightly more negative points (age, injury, lack of hunting/jumping experience), while valuing her really good points.

This is based too on horses I saw when I recently sold my mare and bought my new girl. I was looking for something similar to her (she looks lovely, btw!), but smaller & younger. I think this would be a realistic price.

Just my thoughts! Best of luck selling her :)

Thank you, again I wasn't thinking of anywhere near that amount (over £1k less), not because of her age, but because of her injury and the fact that she needs to do more work to prove that she will remain sound.

FleabittenT

Visit site
Ah, maybe I'm well off then! If she's sound & in work, is there anything to suggest she won't stay sound? Would she pass a vetting?

Mooch

photobucket.com
If she's only just coming out of an injury into work again then you're not going to get alot for her - it's a massive risk forwhoever takes her on. She is gorgeous though.

Her accident was this time last year, after her initial treatment from the vets to ward off any possible infection and to treat the cellulitis in her hind, she has been given time to rest and heal. She has been sound for a good 8-10 months. I have only had one problem recently and that has been from her shoeing (she has still remained sound). She tore part of the coronet band in the accident, this has now grown down the hoof, but has been at the point of the nails going into the shoe. Farrier is coming tomorrow and there should be enough growth to correct this. When can then go back to improving both of our fitness levels then.

Obviously, if I wasn't loosing my land Milly and Alfie would not have to be sold. The plan has always been to give Milly the time she needs and for me to concentrate on starting Alfie, bringing them both up to the level of working more as the summer progress. In an ideal world I wouldn't parting with either of them and if I was to choose a time to sell Milly, I wouldn't pick right now. I would want her back in work for a full year.

Thank you for your imput, as this is exaclty what I was thinking about her.

Mooch

photobucket.com
Ah, maybe I'm well off then! If she's sound & in work, is there anything to suggest she won't stay sound? Would she pass a vetting?

She is sound and at the moment there is nothing to suggest she won't stay that way. The farrier is due tomorrow and then it will be back to us both bringing our fitness levels and work load up (I'm sure she will fitten up a lot quicker than I will. A year of no riding has taken it's toll on me lol. )

reindeerlover

Visit site
Hi, I would NOT sell her for under 2k as this is bound to have some people buying to sell on. I'd put her somewhere around £2750-£3000, she is a lovely looking, big well bred mare and that in itself would probably sell her. Coupled with her obvious talent for low level dressage/showjumping it makes her a very attractive prospect indeed. Did she really need to be off work for so long or was it your own "life got in the way" situation? It sounds like the injury wasn't too serious?

If you can work on her fitness a bit could you get someone to try her over some solid hunt jumps? I bet she would fly them! Also, I think 12 is a great age for a RC allrounder why not try her on your local RC website?

Mooch

photobucket.com
Ha, ha I wouldn't say 'talent' for low level dressage / sj'ing.

She hasn't done any jumping with me for 3 yrs, so I'd never think of her as a jumper. I couldn't guarentee to someone that she could do it either. I certainly know she is big enough to step over most small jumps lol (don't think this counts though! )

reindeerlover

Visit site
Haha, to me just doing it is a talent in itself! Have you a friend who would be willing to pop her over a few jumps so that you could take pictures for the advert? Then you can tell people on the phone that she hasn't done it for some time but seemed fine when your friend rode her (or OMG SHE MUST NEVER BE JUMPED!!).

I appreciate that you don't really want to sell her but you seem a little negative about her abilities? Even as a hack she is worth more than £2k and if you want a good home for her you really should try to get the best out of her first. Was the injury serious?

Mooch

photobucket.com
Thank you FarrierLover, I think you are right; I am negative about both of our abilities. We both could do a lot better! lol

I have some small jumps at home, so I can build up her fitness and lunge her over those. I'm sure there are a couple of my friends that could jump her too.

Injury wise, her scratches, scrapes were all superficial, but her leg was the area of concern, as the swelling was considerable. At the time we couldn't tell what or if any damage had been caused and it has been a waiting game for it to go down. My vet has always been confident that time has been the best thing for her. I think had she been at a yard, then she would have been on a walker, working in a school or hacking out a lot sooner and this probably would have sped the process up. But, being on my own here and only having my fields to ride in, I have been limited.

I do have the option of her going down to my childrens instructors livery yard and this is something I am considering.

I really do just want to find her a loving home and hate to think of her being passed on from pillar to post.