Eeeek ....... it must be proper winter because

Hovis_and_SidsMum

Visit site
At the last yard there was a rat obviously dying but not dead sat by the stables. All the others were screaming and carrying on so i got a fork and scooped it onto the end intending to carry it outside. At that point it sprang to life and rang up the fork handle towards me. Unthinking i flicked it where it executed a perfect swan dive into the side of the muck trailer, where it slid to the floor stunned....
Hubby then volunteered to put it out of its misery.
I felt awful :(

I've put my hand on a few in the dark when filling haynets.

Aoibhin

www.Emmaevans.barefootbooks.com
a rat was how one of my grans old ponies got backed!

23yo never backed cob stood in feild waiting for me to fork hay out the trailer when a huge rat jumped from railer & ran between the fork tines, that was my queue to scream & jump onto the nearest tall thing Moll!. still not sure to this day who was more shocked, ME (suddenly sat on a Calm Moll), her (with a Rider on her back) the rat or my Grandparents (moll didnt move bless her)

nowhere near like some of you guys.

Beausmate

Visit site
I had been successfully trapping (spring type traps-I'm evil) a few mice in my feed room, came in to check the traps only to find the rats had popped in for dinner!

Even worse though, they'd done the same with a couple of trapped rats. I just hope they were well dead before they got eaten. Yuk. :(

Had a slug in my welly once, didn't realise until I took it off-squashed slimey slug ooze all over my sock! Made me retch. Slug in the yard kettle the other night too. Least I haven't found any rats in there yet!

tibby

Visit site
During three months last winter I had 37 rats drowned in my horse's water bucket, they only ever went in Jake's water the other two horses never had any in! My father in law stores ground barley and wheat in the barn behind the stables, no amount of poison has any effect, at the moment my sons are shooting them with air rifles they are getting about six a night!!!!

zoelouisem

Visit site
At my old yard we always used to get drowned rats in water buckets all the time. It was also really dark outside the stables. At the time i was a wicked teenager so my friend and i decided it would be funny to replace one of the brushes in my mums grooming with a rather large drowned rat!!! SHe then proceeded to pick it up and go to brush the horse before realising what it was!!! We were in histerics!!:D:D Luckily she did see the funny side!!!

I now always check what im picking up out the grooming kit!!!:);)

Kellys Heroes

Visit site
On the other side of the coin...:p I quite like rats - I have two pedigrees as pets but I do tend to steer clear of the wild ones. I won't kill them though - they don't bother me too much I can hear them all rustling when I go in the barn and they tend to run across the ledge in Kelly's stable. We just keep our food tightly closed - Kellys owner on the other hand won't venture into the barn and is petrified!!
K x

Marydoll

Visit site
Not a rat tale, but a mouse one.
My niece felt her riding hat very uncomfortable on her head when riding one day, and when she took it off it had a squashed small mouse under the lining of it:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Cazza525

Visit site
Opened the feed bin one morning, picked up scoop, scooped feed and a rat ran up my arm, onto my head and jumped off......I screamed, pissed myself and ran! All the horses looking at me starngely.....:rolleyes:

Toffee44

Visit site
Was down in the farm yard there was me and three others (customers) and while we were chatting this rat bascially sat between the farmers feet. For about 10 minutes, he didnt notice, and to this day neither myself or the two others have ever told him about his little friend.

Also seen the useless farm cat have a scrap with a rat.

flirtygerty

Visit site
Used to rent a cottage on a far, there was a rat run in the field wall right outside our back door so rats were common.
Got up through the night for the loo, went to flush and there was a dead rat in the bowl and this was an upstairs loo, another time, I told my OH we had a rat, made him check under the kitchen units and under the sink unit was a mound of dog food running the width of the unit, it had more food than the dog did, obviously planning a party

abitodd

www.musicfordressage.net
Why did I read this?
Why did I keep reading?

I used a broom to pull a pile of old rugs down from a hay loft and the nest of rats hidden therein fell on my head. I kinda did st Vitas dance around the yard,screaming.
I have also done the horrid poison thing. There was one suffering in the middle of my horses stable one night. I callously thought my horse would trample or lie on it and hurry the process along. The rat was still there and still alive the following morning.

team barney

Visit site
I am feeling very sorry for a few of these rats :eek:

I've had a couple of rat killing horses in my time, one squashed his victims, another drowned them!

sakura

Visit site
worse thing I've had was a, what I thought was dead, rat lying on the yard. It wasn't nice but one of the dogs had clearly got it (we don't have cats, just terriers!) so I carried on what I was doing.. went back past it for something else and it had turned itself round to face the other way :( poor thing

it didn't suffer for much longer :( but I couldn't personally put it out it's misery

another time I went into my tack room and the terriers went mental, upon opening an old feed bin we found two mice snuggled together terrified. It took two of us to get the dogs out of there and the mice ran off to live another day

Foxhunter49

Visit site
I love ratting!
I hate the darn creatures but do admire them for their cunning and brains.
I will not use poison because of the dogs and the kick on effect it has on other wildlife so I use the dogs.
An example of the cleverness of rats, is that two friends went down to the chicken houses shooting rats. I went down with the dogs and their was not a rat to be seen because they know a lamp is to be avoided.
Next thing is to smoke them out during the day and let the dogs earn their supper.

As for the worse rat incident was having one run up my trousers on the outside and in under my jacket! I tell you, I was stripped of that coat faster than greased lightning!

Shoei

Visit site
Okay I have a few but i don't think any are as bad as some of yours.

Amber our Dogue de Bordeaux had been playing and chewing a piece of bark for a couple of days on closer inspection it was a totally flat rat she had unearthed. Vile dog!!!

Our best ratter has to be our old collie. We used to let her into the yard and she would go mental with all squealing, by the time you had turned the light on there would be at least 6 dead!

Buzz our ginger Tom was attacked so badly by multiple rats that they had bitten down to the bone on his legs. He caught cow pox from these rats too!!!

Our other Tom used to just bring me the heads of rats complete with entrails as trophies!! Disgusting.

Luckily Katie my decrepit moggie tends to eat the evidence, although she did bring me a whole weasel the other week!!:eek:

Mice don't bother me as much but I don't like them in the house. Last year we had one who had stored all the dog biscuits in the other half’s cow boy boot! It was half full. Since irradiating the blighters the food seems to last longer!