Eeek going to view a horse - what to ask and whether to vet?

Daniel_Jack

Visit site
I wasn't actively looking for a horse - I have a nice share horse at the moment who is fab but has a slightly quirky owner although they don't currently cause me any issues.

I stumbled upon an advert for a lovely cob mare - good age - not too young or too old, apparently safe as houses and has been a mother daughter share and selling for just over £1k.

I've only bought once before and I knew the horse before hand - had ridden and handled him a fair few times and I knew what I was getting - he was quite £££ though so I got a full 5 stage vetting.

I know nothing about this horse other than what the owner has told me so it's very much unknown teritory for me. I've asked the basic questions around history,injuries, level of schooing etc and it sounds ideal - needs sharpening up and some schooling but I'll hopefully be able to determine at the viewing whether or not it has some potential to be a good allround hack an low level dressage horse (I'm talking prelim unaffilated so my ambitions are low!).

What should I be asking/looking out for? Would you get a vetting for such a low cost? If so, would you get a 5 or a 2 stage? From the information I have, horse has been used as a light hack so is unfit and overweight so not up to any excessive exercise as part of the vetting.

Would appreciate any advise on what to ask or keep an eye out for and thoughts on vetting :)

Daniel_Jack

Visit site
Hi - for a small cob that's done not much more than some hacking it's in line with prices in this area so I'm not overl concerned about that but yes seeing the horse hacked out in traffic is key.

poiuytrewq

Visit site
I think if I was buying a horse I planned on keeping forever and being "my" horse, even a cheap one (I've only ever had freebies or very cheap ones!) I'd get it vetted. Yes it's cheap and on one hand you can think I've not got much to loose but as I've found out vets bills cost the same whatever the value of the horse and buying a cheap horse that you actually like and finding it has a whole host of issues it pretty heart breaking.

poiuytrewq

Visit site
As for questions, once the basics are covered, think about what's important to you. What would drive you nuts, what your happy to live with or fix.
For me I'd like a horse that can be turned out or brought in alone without going mental as that can be restricting on a livery yard (if you have to fit in with everyone else's Turnout time for example)
Allergies are also quite important to me. A horse who can happily eat dry hay and sleep on straw would cost a lot less to keep than one that needs a dust free regime.
I can live with vices but some people can't.
Just have a good think about how you want to keep it etc and what you can compromise on.
Good luck :)

Sparemare

Visit site
As for questions, once the basics are covered, think about what's important to you. What would drive you nuts, what your happy to live with or fix.
For me I'd like a horse that can be turned out or brought in alone without going mental as that can be restricting on a livery yard (if you have to fit in with everyone else's Turnout time for example)
Allergies are also quite important to me. A horse who can happily eat dry hay and sleep on straw would cost a lot less to keep than one that needs a dust free regime.
I can live with vices but some people can't.
Just have a good think about how you want to keep it etc and what you can compromise on.
Good luck :)

Good advice. I’d definitely vet. Cost of buying plus vetting is nothing compared to the ongoing costs of a horse once in your ownership.

WandaMare

Visit site
I would ask to see it ridden before you get on, through walk, trot and canter on both reins (I went to see one where the owner showed canter on one rein and when I asked to see canter on the other rein it turned into a mad bronco, so look out for any omissions).

Ask specifically about weight management, any history of laminitis as these types often have weight issues. I would ask about its current diet regime and consider whether you have the time to take on an overweight horse, do you have appropriate grazing/facilities for this type of horse

If you are interested, I would ask to ride first in the school and then arrange another day to go back for a hack.

Personally I would do a 2 stage vetting but whichever you go for it is wise to have it vetted before any purchase

Take your time to make a decision and try not to let your heart rule your head (thats the difficult bit!)

tatty_v

Visit site
This is a subject close to my heart as my boy, whilst fab to ride, has separation anxiety, jumps out if stressed, didn't load when we first got him (managed to fix that!) and needs to be sedated to be clipped. Whilst none of these are deal breakers given his fab ridden temperament, I wish I'd asked more questions at the time of buying as it has made managing him more difficult and if I'd known, I probably would have made different turnout/stabling arrangements (too late now as he is a stickler for a routine!) So I'd definitely ask about ease of management. I also had a two stage vetting - wev'e had a lady on the yard who bought a lovely little cob who turned out to have uveitis and had to have her eye removed, so in my opinion it's worth having the vetting to check for these types of things. Good luck!

Shay

Visit site
If it has been used as a share horse can you speak to the sharers away from the owner? You might get a better picture of any issues. I'm afraid I have become very cynical in my old age and I would vet even with a relatively low priced animal. If there is something there it will break your heart as well as your bank balance - and you wouldn't (I hope) be able to pass the issue off to someone else by selling it on.

OldFogie

Provocateur
Visit site
If you were going to buy a car advertised at £1,000 - what would you expect to get for your money? Would you ask the AA RAC to view it for you?

And just as the remarkable Steffie Graf once called out at Wimbledon - "how much money do you have?" Do you have a grand to throw away or will you be making a doll to stick pins in if you've been done?

To my mind £1,000 is buttons as compared to what you will be shelling out in maintance and care so if you're on here asking for general advice - here it is - stick to your sharing arrangement.

I bought "my" wondermare only because she was originally a present for my wife ( the horse she learnt to ride on) the supadupa riding school owner knew that I wanted that one so I had to pay a flipping fortune to buy her - but I did. Immediately she was 100% ours she went from the old plodder into the mount of Bunnehilda!! Rearing, roaring and generally being fantastic fun but impossible for her indoors to sit on let alone ride - I took over and worshipped the ground she trod for the next twenty years.
As a rejoinder to that - at the time I bought, there were two others for sale which I would have preferred at first glance - they both came to sticky ends in short order so you never really know the best thing to do.

Daniel_Jack

Visit site
Thanks you for all your comments. Will work on my list tonight.

Have been in touch with the owner regularly via email and she's provided some video's and more photos and I've already confirmed she needs to ride first tomorrow which she's fine with.

Have also done some facebook snooping and horse does seem to have a good reputation so seems genuine.

Good friend is coming with me - she's owned for over 20 years and will keep me right.

I did have a thought about deposits - I will definitely get a vetting - have decided on a 5 start one based on the advice on here. There are other people lined up to view after me (I know this for a fact as the horse is advertised in a few places including facebook so I've seen the comments).

Is it the done thing to leave a deposit subject to successful vetting? I'd hate to find a great horse and then miss out and if I were in the owners position I'd probably want a deposit - I didn't take one when I sold my horse as there was only one interested party and I wasn't 100% sure I wanted to sell (and I wish I hadn't!).

If deposits are the norm, how much would you leave for a horse that is around the £1k mark? A couple of hundred quid?

whiteflower

Visit site
Are you planning to insure? If yes, vetting is mandatory in my experience, 5 stage if you include LOU

Vetting is not mandatory to insure for vets fees certainly not for all horses and ponies. I believe some companies require it for loss of use of very high value horses but I have today insured one with Nfu with no vetting.

I think it depends on your level of experience and circumstances with vetting. I haven't vetted any of the horses I've brought over the years but I can spot lameness and most obvious issues. I also have my own land so can keep them long term whatever and I always insure new purchases incase any issues arise.
I think if I was going to keep a horse on livery with all the outgoings, I was less experienced or it was my only horse. I would probably get the horse vetted no matter what it's purchase cost was.
Also I would have any broken and riding horses vetted where as I buy youngsters unbroken. I would worry more about wear and tear with a horse that had n unknown history or years of work behind it.
Good luck

VRIN

Visit site
Although other people are lined up to view... 'lookers' often let you down and don't turn up... some just want a ride at a weekend on the cheap.. and they may just be looking for something different so don't be hassled into making a hasty decision. Things have a habit of turning out ...

ask the owners to trot it up in hand before you ride and see if there is anything obvious you can spot. Pick up its feet, rub its ears, run your hands over and see if there is any adverse reaction. Watch him being tacked up/untacked. If its on livery try to find out if other people would be happy to 'do him' if the owners couldn't for some reason...

cold_feet

Visit site
If you want the horse, definitely offer a deposit subject to vetting. Otherwise the seller has no guarantee of a sale. You might just be one of those weekend riders who have no intention of buying! Why run the chance of someone else buying first?

mandyroberts

Visit site
5 stage vet - if there is a problem the cost and heart ache will far out weigh the fact the horse is cheap. If you are tough enough to PTS if there are expensive problems the insurance won't cover then take the risk. I couldn't as I have never sold a horse my entire life - and have 2 in retirement at the moment.....

Darbs

Visit site
If it helps, these are some questions I noted down when we bought last year, there may be something that helps:

When viewing

• Catching - Is it out or already in the stable? Is it tough to catch?
• Loading onto your trailer/lorry - try this out.
• Try picking up feet.
• Give it opportunity to bite you. Fuss him around his nose and mouth, stand alongside him (obviously be prepared in case he goes for you!)
• Has he obviously been worked before you got there?
• Fit head collar and lead him around.
• Does he stand happily.

Questions

• Previous activities that he has been involved in?
• Previous showing activities?
• Does he get nervous/excited at shows?
• Does it buck?
• Does it nap?
• Does it rear?
• Worming up to date?
• Vaccinations up to date?
• How is he with the farrier?
• Any other vices?
• Teeth up to date?
• Does he live with mares/geldings/is he a bully?
• Passport history - previous owner name on passport? (All looks normal and legit)
• Does he ride straight from field - does it need lunging?
• How is he with traffic & farm machinery?
• Does he jump happily?
• Will he hack out alone or does he need company?
• How is he with open spaces?
• Any known health issues/sweet-itch etc.
• Prone to laminitis (summer feeding, size of belly)
• Does he live in or out?

Clearly this list is not exhaustive, and may be basic, but it may be of some use. Remember the way the horse is described formally forms part of the sale contract, even if that description is verbal (clearly its harder to prove, but it sounds like you will have someone with you).

When we bought our horse I noted down the owners responses to all of those above questions, then I typed it up. When we were to pay for him they signed to confirm the answers that they had given. Obviously they were not going to say no to signing it, as they were only confirming what they had already said, and if they hadn't signed we would have walked away. Even with private sales, the horse must legally be 'as described', and that signed list definitely forms part of the description. Remember every horse is for sale for a reason, some legitimate and some not.

Last edited:

Hack4fun

Visit site
Darbs has given a good list, but I would also check the passport matches the description/age. I know the vet will check probably at the vetting, but if there is a problem then there is no need to pay for the vetting.

Daniel_Jack

Visit site
So just to provide an update. Viewed the horse today. The current loaner hacked her out including showing her have a wee canter on grass. I then hacked her and we came across some cars, joggers, cyclists, dog walker including a car that splashed through a puddle causing a bit of noise and spray and the pony didn’t bat an eyelid. Nice and keen to hack but easy to stop.

In the arena, it’s a different story. She’s been used almost purely for hacking and is very, very green - leaning on the walls of the arena, somewhat dead to the leg and crop. We couldn’t manage a canter but having seen her canter on grass I’m comfortable that it’s a schooling issue and the fact that her saddle doesn’t fit is probably a factor.

I rode like a sack of potatoes (as did her novice loaner) and although she didn’t do what I was asking (because I don’t think she understood) she didn’t seem phased including a rather unpleasant incident when the loaner accidentally hit her on the side if the face with the crop rather than the shoulder.

I think that starting her schooling from scratch is needed but I’m happy to do that as she’s got the right attitude and actually I’ll mostly be looking to hack but still want something I can work with in the arena during the dark nights or bad weather.

Subject to a vetting she’ll be mine - then starts the task of getting her saddle/teeth sorted so I can start riding her!!

Kaylum

Visit site
Lovely just make sure the vet looks at her on a circle. Many can manage straight work but circles are harder and make sure your at rhe vetting.

mandyroberts

Visit site
Being there is ideal but I bought a horse 4 hours drive away and it just wasn't practical. The main thing is a good vet of your choice. A 5 stage vet includes trot circle on hard surface - its worth checking the seller has facilities to be able to do this - usually there is a way as its on a fairly small circle and very brief