Eeek i have to inject my horse! Any tips?

clairencappelli

Visit site
My baby girl is coming home tomo eve after her surgery last week and my vets told me she will need a few injections ( intra muscular ones ) and i would be doing them!.

Ive never done anything like this before and the vet said she'll show me how.

I shall twich my horse before she can can be freaky and if i stab her and mess it up she wont let me have a 2nd go.

Whats the betting i stand there for 10 mins needle in hand and cant work myself upto doing it and wimp out
blush.gif

If the worst comes to the worst we have a humnam nurse on our yard i could see if she would do it.

has anyone had to do this before and wheres the best place?. I think the neck will be a no-no as she is funny there from her iv line and its still sore and if she sees it coming she will scarper
shocked.gif

Any tips from any injection pro's out there ?

Llwyncwn

Visit site
Best place is on the bum. Once the vet shows you where exactly to do it, slap the area a few times to numb the sensation of the needle and go for it
shocked.gif
When I say slap, do it in a 'patting very good ponio' mode.

vicijp

www.vicijpricehorses.co.uk
Just bang it in and perss it down!
Best is neck or ass, I prefer neck because that way you can always have control of the front end if they play up.
The spine goes along the bottom of the neck, so feel that, and then feel the shoulder blade. Well in front of the shoulder and halfway between spine and top of neck is a 6 inch thick piece of muscle, it is hard to go wrong there.
Another option is between the front legs, but best not go there unless you are used to it.

Bossanova

Visit site
I find it's best just to do it quietly in the neck or chest. Bum is ok but watch out for back legs!!
Some people thump the area first but once you've done that method once they know what it means next time and quite often you create more problems!

Dont dither when you go to put the needle in- just push it in hard quickly. Draw back a little to check you havent hit a vein and then plunge away!

ErinDoig

Visit site
The vet will show you how is very easy once youve done it once youll be fine!

I find neck easier in the triangle of muscle a hands width from the shoulder blade.

Im terrible with needles so if i can do it anyone can!

I_A_P

Visit site
i had an awful job with milie and antibiotics we tried bum, neck and chest and in the end we couldnt get near her.

she was fine for the vet the 1st time but as soon as u went near her she wouldnt stand.

when the vet came to see her at the end of the week she wouldnt even let her near her to touch the neck!

only_me

Visit site
on the neck just above the withers...

make a triangle with your hand and inject just below that area - its best to just pat them and then jab them - otherwise they will flinch and more often than not, you will wimp out (i did that
tongue.gif
) and then you dirty the needle!

it is rather satisfying though...
laugh.gif
tongue.gif

dieseldog

Visit site
We get my OH to do it, he isn't at all squeamish with this sort of thing and has also probably injected 100s of sheep in the past. I don't think I could do it myself, luckily it has only ever been liveries that have need jabbing in the past.

maggiehorse

Visit site
i,ve just finished a 5 day course of strep injetions for my gelding harry , i prefer the brisket , its a very soft muscle and the needle goes in very easily , in the neck is fine or the rump but its very thick skin there so takes more of a punch , i did my first injection over 30 years ago when i was 13 and i still hate doing it , but theres a choice , steel yourself and get on with it or pay vet to visit daily , umm no choice really lol hes already keeping my vet practise in expensive foriegn holidays

Three

Visit site
I think it depends how much you are injecting. A large amount (20+mls) is probably better in the neck as it's a larger muscle. I've always done small injections in the chest as its a nice easy place to get to.

I once managed to bend a needle misjudging just how thick the skin is on the rump so we don't go there now!!
blush.gif

clairencappelli

Visit site
I watched her do it today and she did it in the neck and pulled out a big handful of skin.

It looked like a fairly large amount so i think im best going for the same place ish. I think if i go for the rump i might not be firm enough.

Shilasdair

Patting her thylacine
Visit site
Seriously it'll be fine...go for the neck muscle and alternate sides, make sure you keep the needle and the skin area clean.
I've done loads and it's always been fine...so don't worry!
S
smile.gif

(PS I was only joking about taking a run!)

MurphysMinder

Visit site
Murph had to be injected twice daily withantibiotics. Concided with daughter home after first 3 months at vet uni, but had never injected before. He was fine for first day but as he got more difficult she became more nervous. We got a friend who is an ai to do it for us. He was jabbed alternately, either side of neck and rump. Our vet did say it was always hard to do your own animals cos you don't like hurting them. If in doubt I would try and get someone else to do it for you, your horse will soon sense your hesitance. After a few weeks work exp this summer daughter is now happily doing cows, sheep, pigs and other peoples horses but think Murph will be last one she is confident to do!

Foxford

Visit site
Sorry I can't advise, but my trainer said I should inject a horse so I know how think their skin is!! I thought to myself, hmm, I wonder if I'll ever get to do it. Perhaps offer it around the yard as an educational experience?!! Good luck.

dozzie

Visit site
I was also advised to alternate to different sides of the neck and rump. I hated doing it though! Still gives me goose bumps! I had a good friend to help me!!!

custard

Visit site
Just read the above article and having injected my own horses lots, I'd say it gives a pretty good description.

Just get the vet to talk you through the first one and you'll wonder what the fuss was about, it's easy as long as you follow the rules.
smile.gif

ColouredFan

Visit site
I completly agree eventer28 the chest is the easiest place, i have to inject frankie regularly due to allergies, i use my fist and with patting force hit either side of his chest a couple of times then in goes the needle, draw back to check you havent hit a vein then push the fluid in, it is easy once you have the confidence