EEEKKK Help

tink101

Visit site
I think my empolyers dog mayb whelping .... she's panting nesting in anythng and everything her stomach is hard and her teats are up and swollen

Any advice, im trying to get hold of our vet

Please dont think badly of me not my dog and I do horses not dogs
crazy.gif

Booboos

Visit site
Give her somewhere quiet and out of the way and leave her to it. Keep an eye on her, but do it really quietly, don't touch her or stay with her, she will probably prefer to be alone.

By all means call the vet but most bitches whelp without problems.

Normal signs are restlessness, shivering, digging, vomiting (within reason!), panting and contractions (which look like straining and pain, followed by relaxation). There will also be vaginal discharge which will change to dark green as the placenta bursts.

If she strains continuously for over an hour and no puppy appears, talk to the vet. Bitches rest between pups, but if she rests for more than 2 hours between pups, talk to the vets.

Most pups manage fine after birth with their mum's help, but be ready to intervene if the membrane is covering the pup's face and it can't breath (in 90% of cases the mum will sort this out).

Good luck!

MurphysMinder

Visit site
Booboos has said it all really. Would just add, make sure there is some heat for the pups, ideally a heat lamp but if this is unexpected don't suppose there is one available. Try not to worry too much, most bitches cope remarkably well on their own.

tink101

Visit site
Hi thanks you were more helpful than the vetinary nurse
wink.gif

We didnt know she was expecting but due to carelessness on the part of the idiots i wirk for they were letting her roam free whilst in season with entire dogs living next door!!
Had her in to the vets and they scanned no pups so thought to be a phantom, but good thing we scanned as she has a v enlarged right kidney 5.5cm in a Norfolk Terrier that they were concerned about and they are doing tests on the kidney enzymes.

Thank u again for all your help xx

tink101

Visit site
frown.gif
no she is definately been spayed Im been definate on that, plus vet advised us to aswell.
Pyometra, could u explain a bit about this, as I say the kidney was very swollen as looked huge on the ultra sound.
Must say thank u to nice vet for letting me watch her scan I find it so fascinating

CorvusCorax

'It's only a laugh, no harm done'
Visit site
It's an infection of the womb, it often happens in bitches that have had phantoms or repeat phantoms, our old bitch took one and had an emergency hysterectomy, we nearly lost her (eating two pairs of tights she was 'mothering' didn't help either
blush.gif

tink101

Visit site
Good lord, they are back from holiday on Friday so will explain this to them, if I use big words and say she might die they will be more than happy to get her spayed. She's four and its sill yshe hasnt been done especially as there are entire dogs running round next door (imagine a Norfolk Terrier crossed by either a JRT or a Springer!!)

Whoops for the tights silly girl, glad she was ok tho
smile.gif

Thank you for your help