Eek, first (sort-of) BD comp report (gulp) - pictastic

JGC

Visit site
Hello! Having lurked for many years, posted since last year, I thought I'd post a belated comp report for our dressage at the weekend. We (me, horse and OH) live in France, so I'm not entirely sure what the level we're competing at but I think maybe tough Novice/Elementary - our first test had leg-yielding canter walk on a circle, counter-canter loops to the 3/4 line, 12 m voltes and the second medium trot and canter, direct simple changes, 10 m voltes, shoulder-in and travers. I thought I would do a report as I have 400 pics taken by my lovely hubby, who fancies himself as a bit of a pap ;)

This is my older mare, Judy, who turned 15 today (and it's my birthday too!). I brought her as a knackered and fat ex-showjumper aged 11. She had (and still has) arthritis in her right hock and had never done dressage in her life. Until I got her, she'd always been ridden in draw reins except for comps as she can be a bit of a, ahem, madam. Here's a pic from the early days:

n647130393_3128603_1209.jpg

So my tests were on the Sunday starting at 8.30, so decided to cheat the alarm clock and go the night before. It was 32 degrees when we got there so left it as long as possible to get on but it was still about 28 so went for a wee hack:

MALAFRETAZ2012012.jpg

Then went into to the school to discover that madam was not very happy about the heat and had no forward motion and had forgotten all about going on the bit - see below:

MALAFRETAZ2012015.jpg

There was also someone putting a tent up next to the arena which I think probably didn't help, the tent kept eating the person and then spitting it out, I think she was quite right to be hysterical?! :rolleyes: But I went to have a boozy night out with my friends from the comp and crossed my fingers that a bad dress rehearsal would mean a good test!

Got to the temporary stabling slighty bleary-eyed at 6.30, although that was probably the wine, not the early start! Had made a pathetic stab at plaiting the night before, but I know better than to restart them before my test - replaiting makes me cross :mad: Madam seemed in a decent mood (she didn't try to take any chunks out of me, which is a good sign) so I hopped on a went to the warm-up about 45 mins before, as she needs at least 20 mins walking. Put my leg on to ask for trot and the dopey uncooperative mare of the previous day had been replaced by a rocket-fuelled poncey dressage poney :eek: I think she likes getting dressed up :D She was feeling so good, she could have gone in after 10 mins, so tried to think of as many exercises as I could in walk to keep her on the job, but without overcooking it. This seemed to work pretty well and she was still going forwards when we went in (we always get marked down for lack of impulsion) and I managed to avoid assuming the "brace brace" position that I normally adopt when riding tests, although I still need to do something about my hitch-hiking left foot. Grrr. The rest seemed to go pretty well, although I managed not to get into the corners and trot a bit in one of my canter-walk transitions (bit of an achilles heel those).

Came out with 45 mins until the second tests, so decided to take her bridle off and go for a graze in the shade in the lorry park, as if I take her back to the stabling, she tends to think she's finished. Hopped back on with 10 mins to go, as it was starting to get hot again, so just did a wee bit of lateral work and a short canter then went back in. Unfortunately, the judges hadn't changed from the first class so we had to trot round for ages waiting for them to ring the bell, during which time, a horse from the next area managed to hop across the boards and into the fence just as we were going by. Was glad there was a fence or I think he'd've landed on Judy's head and, although her head is quite big, I don't think it would have withstood that :p

Eventually started thinking 'Poo, she's completely pooped, this is going to be a disaster', but a couple of movements in decided to give myself a big ol' kick up the jacksie and ride the bloomin' test, which seemed to pay off, although I did still do a bit of "brace brace" riding ...

Lots of carrots and kisses once I got off, gave a her a good hose-down and left her with her hay to check the scores. Only blooming well came first with 70.5 per cent in the first class :eek: This is our third year competing and only the second time we've won something. Was so, so pleased with her as she's not really built for the job and it's pretty hard work sometimes, but she's just such a trier :D Got 64.67 per cent for the second and just outside the placings in sixth, but that's the best score we've had at that level, so I'm almost as pleased with that. Here's my favourite pics from the tests (note, she sticks her tongue out to the side because the bits are two thick, I have been borrowing others and she's been fine, but had to give them back, so have ordered a Verbindend bridoon):

Trot:

MALAFRETAZ2012217.jpg

MALAFRETAZ2012090.jpg

MALAFRETAZ2012049.jpg

Canter:

MALAFRETAZ2012077.jpg

MALAFRETAZ2012291.jpg

Canter walk:

MALAFRETAZ2012103.jpg

Extended walk (needs some work):

MALAFRETAZ2012250.jpg

Shoulder-in:

MALAFRETAZ2012258.jpg

We need to work on the balance in counter-canter, mind:

MALAFRETAZ2012080.jpg

My first cup ever :D:

MALAFRETAZ2012384.jpg

Thanks for bearing with me and reading this epic report and birthday cake to all who get this far :D Anyone who has any tips for improving our shoulder-in and balance in the canter would get an extra slice :D

P.S. I hope the photos aren't too big, not sure how resizing works ...

Lolo

Visit site
Lovely photos :) Sounds like a very good day out. Absolutely no tips as I am in awe of anyone who manages to complete a dressage test, let alone a proper, complicated jobby :D

pigsmight:)

Visit site
She looks like a completely different horse from the first pic! Massive well done and congratulations on the win to :D

JGC

Visit site
Thanks for posting and being nice, guys! I was a bit afraid I would have to go off in the billy-no-mates corner and cry because no one would post - feel better now :)

JellyBen

Visit site
letalone doing a dressage test that i could only dream of, the first photo to the ones in the test are unbelievable, the difference!
i have no idea how to help you however, doing my first 'proper' test this weekend!

Gamebird

Visit site
What a lovely post and fantastic result :cool:. I particularly love the second and last pics. Dressage in France looks waaaay more glamourous than here!

JGC

Visit site
Thanks, I think she's changed loads, but I'm a bit biased, so it's nice to hear other people say it :)

Gamebird, yes, they take dressage pretty seriously over here so I've had to up my game - I can usually managed to get a matching saddlecloth and bandages when I'm out and about now - although I still only do matching dirt and mud when I'm at home ;)

JGC

Visit site
Thanks peeps. This is her in the field just after I got her - she went straight on a diet, but she's still a chunky monkey, just a bit less fat a bit more muscle :):

n1193401376_225345_5545.jpg

Sticker

Visit site
Gosh, what a difference in her!

Sounds like a fab day out all round, congratulations on your win (and bonus bottle of Equistar, my absolute favourite product ever!) :D

JGC

Visit site
:D After many years of riding other people's mad, bad and dangerous to know beasties, she's my first horse, I'm so proud of her.

I think I should dedicate her win to all those who said that she'd be laughed out of the dressage ring :p

Booboos

Visit site
Great to see a report from France!! You give me hope, as my first comp here is on the 10th June. I think I might be doing the same test as your first one, Amateur 2 Imposee B?

You have done an amazing job with your mare, she is unrecognizable from the first pic! Well done for holding it together amongst the tents and other scaries! They do seem to hold the carnival right next to the dressage comps over here don't they?!!

JGC

Visit site
Thanks all!

Great to see a report from France!! You give me hope, as my first comp here is on the 10th June. I think I might be doing the same test as your first one, Amateur 2 Imposee B?

You have done an amazing job with your mare, she is unrecognizable from the first pic! Well done for holding it together amongst the tents and other scaries! They do seem to hold the carnival right next to the dressage comps over here don't they?!!

Hey, Booboos. We're in Amateur 3 so did the Imposée B and the Préliminaire - the Amateur 3 and 2 classes are so similar but we don't have any "allures" so will never be able to go further than Amateur 3 unfortunately :( Still, we have lots of work left to do improving at this level, so she might be retired before that becomes a probably. Whereabouts are you and where's your show? We're in Haute Savoie.

Booboos

Visit site
I'm almost at the other end of the country, Tarn 81, unfortunately! I don't know the tests at all, this is my first attempt here since moving here 20 months ago (and getting pregnant!). My instructor suggested this test as it has a lot in it to occupy his mind, but in reality I think he will just take one look at the whole set up, tents, BBQs, loose dogs and all, and piss off back to the lorry park!! I will pack my parachute for the ocassion!

JGC

Visit site
Thanks, glad you enjoyed the report, might even do another!

I'm almost at the other end of the country, Tarn 81, unfortunately! I don't know the tests at all, this is my first attempt here since moving here 20 months ago (and getting pregnant!). My instructor suggested this test as it has a lot in it to occupy his mind, but in reality I think he will just take one look at the whole set up, tents, BBQs, loose dogs and all, and piss off back to the lorry park!! I will pack my parachute for the ocassion!

I'm sure you'll be fine. People who ride dressage here seem to take themselves very seriously, but you'll get used to it. The Amateur 2 tests are actually slightly nicer atmosphere than the Amateur 3 tests, not sure why!