Eek! Suddenly normal!

Sleipnir

Visit site
A month and a half or so ago my gelding was suddenly swapped for a fire-breathing, snorting, prancing, spook-at-everything dragon. The saddle was checked and the flocking refreshed, although there were no major issues and two different saddlers agreed it fits well. The chiro came and gave him a good all-over session. Bloods and teeth were checked, a calmer given, sugars avoided, 24/7 turnout - as always - provided. No results. He was still silly at everything, unpleasant to ride in school, near impossible to hack, strong (read - caprioles, levades, sudden tanking off - the works!) in hand and I, in turn, felt quite miserable. Gave him a month off riding and persisted on walking in-hand, at least. The future seemed grim.

Suddenly, as of yesterday, my lovely, pleasant boy is back again! Where were you?! Knock on wood, but he is as suddenly relaxed and completely his old self, as he was bonkers! I even checked his vitals to see if he's okay. :D What was THAT all about?

Floofball

Visit site
Glad things seem to be getting back to normal :) my first thoughts are that there was something going on pain/comfort related and the month off has settled things down? Hope it was just a blip and it's onwards and upwards from now on but if the behaviour returns with work would think about a full lameness workup as it reminds me of my lads behaviour before he was diagnosed with bi-lateral spavins (and other issues) - never looked lame or failed flexions.
Hopefully whatever it was has resolved - enjoy having him back :) I was amazed to get my lovely rideable/go anywhere horse back after treatment and rehab. When he was uncomfortable he would frighten the beheezus out of the most confident rider lol the do try to tell us when things aren't right.

Sleipnir

Visit site
Thanks for the idea - he really didn't show any signs of lameness, tracked up nicely and walked without fuss over all kinds of surfaces (as well as racing his friends in the field!), but, in case that repeats (hopefully it doesn't!!!), I'll do the lameness workup. My first thought was pain/discomfort as well, but I (or the professionals involved) didn't manage to find the cause...That was a scary month and a half! And I'm glad your horse is feeling well now. :)

Sleipnir

Visit site
Nope, had thought of that - but the YO buys a massive amount of hay, enough to last through the winter, from one supplier, and it's still the same hay, we haven't had anything new!