Effects of a Change of Yard

Dave's Mam

Visit site
Probably been asked before, but has anyone ever experienced a change of yard having an effect on their horse's general demeanour?
For the past year, Dave has been on a Farm. He was constantly stressy, wound up & everything was a drama. Farrier visits were a fight & he was just generally unsettled.

Last week, I moved him to a private livery yard which my friend has rented in its entirety. It's very relaxed, but we have a good routine.

Dave has settled instantly, leading well, walking & trotting in hand in the school. So today was Crunch Day. Farrier time. I was dreading it, but blow me sideways, he stood like an old pro, didn't snatch a foot once, an absolute gem. Even the farrier commented on how relaxed he is.

Any thoughts? I think someone has stolen my little grump & replaced him with a happy amenable pony who is quite content!

Sleipnir

Visit site
It can totally happen! Last year, I moved my bombproof gelding to a seemingly nice yard - out in fields 24/7, in a herd environment, peaceful countryside atmosphere and wonderful, beautiful hacking in a nature reserve. Gradually, he went from a calm, steady animal to a stressful beast with mad eyes. We could no longer enjoy hacking, as he started to bolt and buck wildly (no matter, in company or alone) and became increasingly spooky, spooking, spinning and napping even in the arena, which he NEVER did before.

Moved this May because of unrelated reasons to a much busier yard, but still 24/7 turnout and much simpler, yet still nice woodland hacking, and he made a complete transformation back to his normal self the moment he stepped out of the trailer. He hasn't spooked since, not even at things that suddenly terrified him at our previous home, like motorbikes or ATVs. Completely relaxed and happy whenever I see him, and it's SUCH a relief!

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
Yes, it has happened on numerous occasions to clients that have moved here. One in particular was exactly how you describe before he arrived. The farrier was the same one as when he was at the previous yard. Said farrier told me he was a nightmare to shoe, but from day one, he was a gem for him here. The owner did find out the YO at the previous yard had been maltreating him about 6 months after she left. Someone decided to tell her!

paddi22

Visit site
yeah i've one that doesnt suit being stabled in quiet yards. it seems like they are so quiet that there isn't enough going on to keep him occupied, so when something DOES happen its just the end of the world for him. He was better on busier yards where there was constant action. I really believe you can be on the nicest, best run yard in the world and if the horse doesn't like the atmosphere they just don't settle.

The main reason for leaving one yard i loved was that they used a leaf blower for about 20 mins a day to clean the yard and corridors, and my two just lived in constant terror of it coming on. they could just never relax at all!

Coblover63

Visit site
Yep I had one that I had to sell because a big yard blew his mind. Very sad to see him so distressed. Sold him to a lovely lady with her own land and a companion pony and he instantly reverted to being the boy I knew and loved. Broke my heart having to part with him but with three others as well, I didn't have a lot of other choices.

Bionic Boy

Visit site
Yep totally. I moved my boy to a yard that he really didn't like. He turned into a total nut bag. Wouldn't go in the stable and even got to the point he had to be shod in the field. After 6 months I knew he wasn't going to settle and moved him. Within 24 hours he was back to his old happy chilled self.

Sleipnir

Visit site
Thanks, CAE, and I am also glad to know that Dave is feeling better - I know that superb feeling of relief first-hand! :)

YorksG

Over the hill and far awa
Visit site
We had a mare who changed completely on the way to a new yard! We'd only had her six weeks and she was a nightmare at the first yard, jumped out of fields, fell through the fencing, wouldn't stand for the farrier and was a nightmare to hack. We led her to the new yard, about three miles, half way there we thought we were going to have to "borrow" a field to let her calm down a bit! Decided to keep on going and about another 1/4 of a mile on she calmed down and remained that way for the remainder of the journey, she was never an easy horse but she was unbelievably better at the second yard.

Dave's Mam

Visit site
It's crazy. He is like a different pony. We're only 5 minutes away from our old yard, so it can't be a change in the grass / minerals. I think it's just because of the atmosphere & perhaps the fact he now has 4 Exmoor friends, a retiree as a fieldmate & a nice routine. Long may it continue1

Equi

Visit site
I think sometimes it's people too. As you know any time I went to yard I didn't know what mood I would find Jed in. Now that certain other person has moved away he's been totally relaxed and different animal!

Bessi

Visit site
I had one that turned horrible at one yard, reared in hand and under saddle, refused to go in the stable or round to the school, horrific out hacking and put himself in a ditch reversing on one ride, moved and got my horse back, never been like it before or since. If id just bought him and moved him there Id have been thinking I'd been misold the horse as it was Id had him since a foal and he was 5 by this point so knew he was unhappy about something.

Asha

Visit site
Absolutely , I've owned my mare for 13 years now and she's fab. No issues at all, we moved temporarily to a livery yard while our stables where being built. It's the one and only time she completely changed. Started behaving like a stallion , and boxed walked like a pro. I couldn't believe it. As soon as we left she returned to normal

shadowboy

Visit site
Probably been asked before, but has anyone ever experienced a change of yard having an effect on their horse's general demeanour?
For the past year, Dave has been on a Farm. He was constantly stressy, wound up & everything was a drama. Farrier visits were a fight & he was just generally unsettled.

Last week, I moved him to a private livery yard which my friend has rented in its entirety. It's very relaxed, but we have a good routine.

Dave has settled instantly, leading well, walking & trotting in hand in the school. So today was Crunch Day. Farrier time. I was dreading it, but blow me sideways, he stood like an old pro, didn't snatch a foot once, an absolute gem. Even the farrier commented on how relaxed he is.

Any thoughts? I think someone has stolen my little grump & replaced him with a happy amenable pony who is quite content!

Yes. I had a lovely youngster who was generally mega chilled. My instructor used to describe him as a horse you could put your Gran on!

I moved him into full livery and it was like I'd shipped a different horse there- he snapped his leadropes pulling back, was so so so unsettled to ride, barely grazed in the field (the only time he was normal was out hacking - it's as if once we left the yard he was fine again) after 4 weeks I moved him off and he was a saint again. Sadly had to sell as I got pregnant.

rowan666

Visit site
Yes! It seems my sec A is only the perfect pony on our yard unfortunately, we have also taken on a quite a few "nut jobs" who once they get to our place just instantly settle, even had one old owner asked if pony had been doped because he couldn't believe the change! Our place is very quiet, most of them live out and they are a lovely, friendly, settled herd which just seems to be the golden ticket for stressy hot heads

Leo Walker

Visit site
Mine went absolutely bat ***** mental when I moved him to a lovely yard at the beginning of this year. He was absolutely wild! Kept trying to get away from me and when he couldn't went up in the air and tried to box me! Once it happened for the third time with me and twice more with other people I decided that there was a legitimate issue. He just couldnt settle and was wired. I rode him once and he spooked and buggered off with intent and scared the living daylights out of me. He just doesnt do that EVER!

We only stayed 3 weeks and I moved him. I had to as no one on the yard would handle him anymore. We moved and he came off the wagon, breathed a big deep sigh of relief and immediately settled. I still to this day have no idea what the issue was, but he just hated the yard, which is a shame as it was a nice yard. But he couldnt have stayed there when he was so wired and unhappy.

Hes moved lots of times and never reacted like that. There was no doubt an underlying cause, but what it was I have no idea! If I'd just bought him I'd have been going mad and wanting to return him as mis sold as it was that extreme!

doodle

Visit site
I had a horse at livery and a horse at a local farm. I lost the horse in the farm and then after a few months I moved my other horse with my friend and my horses buddy as I missed the farm so much. He hated it. Lost 100kg and all his muscle, was miserable and depressed. Spent £2000 and a stay at the vets trying to work out what was wrong, he had given himself ulcers. Vets diagnosis was he hated new yard, I agreed and moved him back to livery. He got back there sighed and started putting weight and muscle back on.

vallin

Visit site
Yup, unfortunately mines gone the other way after a yard move - from a horse that loves her food and is super chilled in the stable to one that's not finished a slice of hay in 7 hours and needs coaching into her stable :( I'm also not happy at the yard so will be moving again as soon as I can sort somewhere more suitable out.

muckypony

Visit site
Yes definitely. I previously kept mine on a big yard, nice enough but really lacking in turnout and quite busy. He was generally sweet but could be really sharp, always a twit to turnout and catch in, double barrelled me for no reason on the way out once. Would always get upset in the stable before being turned out no matter how early it was. I moved him to a private place last spring with my other two and he's just so chilled. Took him a while to settle mind, but now he's lovely. He just likes it to be quieter I think.

FfionWinnie

Visit site
I had a horse in my ownership for 15 years. Had her on loads of yards with no issues at all, she was always a fave of everyone - except on one yard where she got us thrown off within 24hrs due to bad behaviour in the field!

Also my current Welsh D was a complete nightmare with her previous owners but with firm and fair handling from me she was absolutely fine. However she was away at a stud the last 3 weeks and the bad behaviour returned - she has not put a foot wrong for a year previously. I brought her home last night, impeccable behaviour returned. Apparently she is meant to be here!

Emby

Visit site
When I first bought my mare I began to think I'd been 'done', She climbed over the stable door regularly despite the advert saying she 'would live in or out'. She was stressy to ride and eventually bolted with me.
I moved her to a different area where she could live out with a companion - thinking I would never be able to stable her - and she calmed down massively and turned into an absolute diamond.
About 18 months later I moved her again to a new yard (where she could also live out) - and tried her in the new stables there - and she was fine! She even lays down in these stables.
With hindsight I think it was the atmosphere on the original yard that upset her.