Effects of anaesthetic?

amage

Visit site
Rory had to go to the vets yest for a scale and polish on his teeth and some investigation as he has had very smelly breath lately and very rapid plaque build up. He has had an anaesthetic before just after I got him when he was castrated and came round with no issues, was bright as a button and had to be crated to stop him tearing around and pulling his stitches. This time he had loads of diarrhea, very distressed, constantly crying and very clingy. His teeth were fine and seem to be causing no pain but he is just miserable since I picked him up yest. Crying constantly, only happy in my arms and even then still quite restless. Vet saw him again last night and agreed that while distressed he is physically fine. Just to be sure he gave a mild painkilling injection but even today poor Rory is still miserable. He is eating/drinking fine and poohing/peeing fine today just crying alot. Vets have seen him again and are a bit mystified. he bawled and cried and as soon as someone cuddles him it stops. He is usually a very independant wee dog and when dropped off yesterday morn didn't give me a second glance. He is not remotely clingy and even this morn was quite happy to go to the vets again. Could it just be that he is feeling a bit blue after the drugs?

suzysparkle

Visit site
I'd suggest you ask your local butcher for raw bones (ribs are ideal) once a week at least. Let your dog eat them = clean teeth and no vet bills. You don't need to go totally BARF but you should use bones. An anaesthetic is a big deal and totally unavoidable in terms of canine dental health. Bones are and always will be natures toothbrush. Quite likely anaesthetic is making him blue - it's a huge ordeal after all. If you get your own meat from your butcher (encouraged) they should give you bones for free so a free dog meal once a week :)