EHV-1 Outbreak in Spain

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
The video that Christophe Schlotty shared just shows how far owners will go to help their horses, the Manitou was there for ages, brave horse, hope it continues to recover.

There is uproar from grassroots to top end over this, the UKSJ is being pushed hard and the FEI too.

Last edited:

Sussexbythesea

Visit site
I think you'd need to be very sure that the riders had moved their horses knowing about EHV before doing this and if so whether they were moving them to quarantine them and if they transported them safely.

I'm unclear whether riders had returned home/ moved horses before they knew about EHV or did they know about EHV and move their horses so that they could still compete?

Well I wasn’t there and I know about the outbreak and regardless of what I knew when I left I would know now that I could potentially be bringing back a deadly disease.

Squeak

Visit site
Well I wasn’t there and I know about the outbreak and regardless of what I knew when I left I would know now that I could potentially be bringing back a deadly disease.

But we don't know that they haven't acted appropriately since and we don't know enough about who left when and why to know if it would be justified at this stage to say that anyone who had already left did it for the wrong reasons.

If a rider did remove their horses knowingly and travelled them elsewhere without relevant precautions in place then I agree that there should be big consequences.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site

So you quarantine once you’re back or do people want them them to stop en route?

Nicnac

Visit site
Only one Brit entered and two Irish riders competing in Valencia but they could be based anywhere. Most other European nationalities and a couple of US riders were there.

Belgian media state that the virus is in England.... I really hope it's not! Definitely in Belgium unfortunately :( Equibel Facebook page.

sport horse

Visit site
www.worldofshowjumping.com is a good place to start. I undestand that some riders went from tour to tour. There are now two cases in Doha - horses that were in Valencia and flew on in a plane load to Doha. Please god no horses were infected on that plane. I understand that riders have left other tours in Spain en route to GB - possibly without health papers which it seems are rarely checked coming from EU to GB but take hours to check the other way about since Brexit.

It is a bubble about to burst. Not only the competition horses - horses in transit stay in the same overnight stabling which is certainly notnormally cleaned/disinfected between lorry loads in/out. If it reaches GB, and there are multiple people trying to pressurise the authorities to close the borders to all horses until quarantined and/or negaative tested, then this season could well be lost toa ll horse sport, racing and stud work.

TheMule

Visit site
There are some eventers on the Spanish tour entered for the Elite events later this month. It will be interesting to see if BE take a similar stand as BS as currently they are perfectly entitled to do this

Cragrat

Visit site
Does anyone know where the particular strain in the Valencia outbreak came from? Was it brought in with a competing horse? Or did it mutate there?

sport horse

Visit site
BEF statement here: https://www.britishequestrian.org.uk/news/ehv-1-outbreak-in-valencia-and-several-other-eu-countries

The BS pdf is brilliant - quarantined at home, and no horses to leave the yard for 28 days. Perhaps BS should have been put in charge of Covid...

I think if you knew the presuure put on BS and BEf to get a statement, you would probably not want them to be in charge of Covid. Also BS is the only one of the disciplines not to make any recompense to its members for the lack of sport over the past year. Full subs and registration fees expected. :confused:

teapot

Visit site
I think if you knew the presuure put on BS and BEf to get a statement, you would probably not want them to be in charge of Covid. Also BS is the only one of the disciplines not to make any recompense to its members for the lack of sport over the past year. Full subs and registration fees expected. :confused:

If it’s the same pressure required for other aspects of the industry then I do know!

Even so, the BS response that BE have now adopted is a lot better than we’re used to seeing.

Can’t comment on fees/costs.

The Bouncing Bog Trotter

Visit site
Keysoe have issued a statement saying a horse has tested positive for EHV-1 in a neighbouring yard. Sad times and I wish every affected horse a speedy recovery and anyone affected by this has my best wishes.

Lexi 123

Visit site
Only one Brit entered and two Irish riders competing in Valencia but they could be based anywhere. Most other European nationalities and a couple of US riders were there.

Belgian media state that the virus is in England.... I really hope it's not! Definitely in Belgium unfortunately :( Equibel Facebook page.
The two Irish riders are based in Ireland there are in Meath But they are going to isolate the horses .

The Bouncing Bog Trotter

Visit site
It isn't only competition horses that can spread the virus. Travelling back from long distance shows involves overnight stays, without sufficient bio-security measures in place it would be easy for an infected horse to pass on that infection in a stopover. Horse imports haven't stopped. EHV-1 is more likely to enter the country via sales horses.

sport horse

Visit site
So this is a completely unrelated case then? They still state no British horses have returned to the UK[/QUOT

A lot of GB competition horses have returned to the UK and as far as I know they are all isolating in accordance with the BEF/FEI guidleines.

More worrying is that many dealers are still importing horses, failing to isolate and are advertising them for sale. If someone buys one and takes it off to their livery yard you have a perfect storm waiting to happen - and it will. If you or anyone in your yard/environs brings a new horse that has been imported from mainland Europe please try and make sure that preferably it comes nowhere near any other horses or is at least isolated and tested for EHV1. This disease has killed 12 horses so far and infected more than one hundred and it has spread from Spain to Holland, Belgium,France, Germany and Doha. It must be contained and the best way is to stop all horse movement.

If this virus takes hold it will not only stop any hope of competing for months, but it will severely impact on stud farms who are just about to open for the year and racing.

NA85ISH

Visit site
We have had a confirmed case of EHV-1 (reported on our local vets page) in Gateshead and a friend has confirmed her horse has tested positive in durham has EHV-4
I am being a bit dim here but are the different numbers 1/2/3/4 actually a different type of the virus?

Caski

Visit site
Some may not even be based in the UK full time.

The Funnells/Whitakers/Stockdale jnr/even the Prices will all count under elite for being in Spain or Portugal, even if jumping the smaller classes.
Local semi pro yard has had horses come back having done enough (won) and they are turned out next to a bridleway.... ummmmmmm

Keith_Beef

Novice equestrian, accomplished equichetrian
Visit site
We have had a confirmed case of EHV-1 (reported on our local vets page) in Gateshead and a friend has confirmed her horse has tested positive in durham has EHV-4
I am being a bit dim here but are the different numbers 1/2/3/4 actually a different type of the virus?

From what I've recently read (since our instructor talked to us about preventing cases from being brough onto the yard), EHV-1 and EHV-4 are two distinct but closely related viruses.
Wikipedia articles here and here, and another article here.

It seems that EHV-1 and EHV-4 are still used as abbreviations, though the names of the viruses have recently been changed.
  • Equine herpesvirus 1 (EHV-1) is now Equid alphaherpesvirus 1
  • Equine herpesvirus 4 (EHV-4) is now Equid alphaherpesvirus 4

tristar

Visit site
anyone know if there is any cases in ireland? cause we are getting one picked up by an international transporter on saturday and am a bit worried , but will be talking to them tomorrow about concerns and precautions,, will be sanitizing nostrils etc

but there are different strains of the virus, i have had mares vaccinated against the abortion strain