EHV-1 Outbreak in UK

vodkas_mum

Visit site
No, my vet advised as the yard is such low risk (minimal movement in and out) not to as they can abort from the vaccination itself. But, i am in North Yorkshire so now worried that it is close by.

tinawales

Visit site
Have had serology back from from AHT - no antibodies to EHV-1. Nasal swabs from mare next door also negative. Awaiting virology (another 6 days). Vet still of view it was EHV-1 adn says sometimes low titre (low?0?)What else gives a healthy happy mare a temperature, depression and paralysis in 12 hours? Tearing hair out but still dipping boots, washing clothes, banning farrier and refusing visits from/to equine friends...

Rollin

Visit site
Tina, I am so sad to have read your post. Awful for you.

I lost a pure bred CB colt foal two years ago. Pregnancy and birth, quite normal. However, the mare seemed a bit depressed two weeks before foaling.

The colt died. He would not stand or suckle. Heart murmur and fluid in lungs. The vet thought his prognosis poor.

We suspected a virus, although non of our horses had left the yard. All the swabs came back negative.

I hope you do have an answer - not knowing just adds to the trauma.

(((hugs)))

Pipkin

Visit site
Have had serology back from from AHT - no antibodies to EHV-1. Nasal swabs from mare next door also negative. Awaiting virology (another 6 days). Vet still of view it was EHV-1 adn says sometimes low titre (low?0?)What else gives a healthy happy mare a temperature, depression and paralysis in 12 hours? Tearing hair out but still dipping boots, washing clothes, banning farrier and refusing visits from/to equine friends...

My girl had to have 3 blood tests weeks apart (which isnt going to be possible for you I know)

First two showed up EHV4 but nothing for EHV 1, last test which I only found out the results of this week showed EHV4 and EHV 1 which manifested to equine herpes Myeloencephalopathy. I had to contact liverpool Uni to decipher the serology reports because they made no sense to me

tinawales

Visit site
Yes, I did look that up but it does not suggest that horses run a temperature which mine certainly did.

Last edited:

foxy1

Visit site
I had a youngster die from a mystery illness, and as it turned out he had several different things wrong with him which made diagnosis really difficult for the vets; they were trying to link symptoms that weren't linked.

He had low grade ataxia which suddenly seemed to get much worse in the space of a few hours, his heart rate was incredibly high and his bloods showed liver and muscle damage. He then was unable to walk and became depressed.

As it turned out, he had liver disease, wobblers, steatitis and atypical myopathy. You couldn't imagine that one animal could have been fine and then got so much wrong within the space of a few days.

Sorry for the essay but I'm just wondering if your mare could have had a virus which caused the high temperature and then atypical myopathy which caused the other symptoms.