EHV virus & competing (confirmed cases - Gloucestershire)

Gamebird

Visit site
I don't think comparisons with Foot and Mouth Disease are helpful. FMDV is a totally different type of virus, much more robust and can be spread many miles by airborne transmission (there is evidence that it may have crossed The Channel). Plus it was present in uncooked swill fed to pigs causing huge outbreaks. We don't keep horses like we keep intensively farmed pigs either - many thousands in one airspace and patterns of livestock mixing and movement are totally different from horse movement.

EHV is a Herpes virus. These are pretty fragile and don't live long outside their host. They are capable of airborne transmission but only over very short distances - certainly not farm to farm as was the case in FMD.

RunToEarth

Visit site
I don't think comparisons with Foot and Mouth Disease are helpful. FMDV is a totally different type of virus, much more robust and can be spread many miles by airborne transmission (there is evidence that it may have crossed The Channel). Plus it was present in uncooked swill fed to pigs causing huge outbreaks. We don't keep horses like we keep intensively farmed pigs either - many thousands in one airspace and patterns of livestock mixing and movement are totally different from horse movement.

EHV is a Herpes virus. These are pretty fragile and don't live long outside their host. They are capable of airborne transmission but only over very short distances - certainly not farm to farm as was the case in FMD.

Sorry GB, I don't think I put that very well, I wasn't suggested it was spread in the same way as F&M at all. However I do think there is a very real danger that it may have travelled slightly further afield than is realised at this time, and it may be sensible to apply a little more caution now, than three weeks down the line where everyone has been out and about. It only takes one horse coming home from a days hunting, onto a livery yard and being in close contact with something else that is then boxed up and taken out competing with a whole bag of others.

I am not 100% sure how easily it can be spread, can someone enlighten me?

lhotse

Visit site
I think, given the fact that there is EHV and strangles in the area, it would be wise for everyone in the area to exercise a little bit of caution with regards to interaction with other horses. Many RC rallies and events have already been cancelled. The weather this weekend will put paid to many others. With a little bit of restraint, the outbreaks of both can hopefully be contained, and what is a few weeks compared to possible the whole summer season without getting out and competing.

seabsicuit2

Visit site
Years ago I had a horse that was supposedly diagnosed with Herpes respiratory virus. He was on big livery yard and it took the vets weeks to diagnose it.
Now this is what doesn't seem right, none of the other horses in that yard caught it. Not even the horse stabled next door and there was a grill separating the two stables so the two horses could touch one another/ breathe the same air.
I also had other horses on the yard& off the yard, and in the days leading up to the diagnosis, I was regularly in contact with all my horses , handled the sick horse then went on to handle the others- no change of equipment or clothes.
Was that really a Herpes infection? The horse did not seem that sick- just a high temp for weeks,and slightly running nose. He didn't have much contact with other horses, he had his own field but could say hi to horses next door and also in his stable.
So would that really have been a Herpes infection as not one horse in a yard of 40 caught anything ? Or does that just go to show how weak the virus is?

I still think that horses hunting together & huffing & puffing in the same air when there standing around for hours must make a much higher risk of infection rather than it being passed through a livery yard .. But as I say I don't trust my past experience of the supposed Herpes that we had, at all !!

millimoo

Visit site
New post in BD Forum this evening taken from Facebook :(

Caron Roberts Equestrian Livery & Training Yard
IT IS WITH REGRET THAT WE HAVE TAKEN THE DECISION TO CANCEL SUNDAYS DRESSAGE COMPETITION. WE HAVE BEEN INFORMED THIS EVENING OF ANOTHER EHV CASE IN WROUGHTON AND AFTER CONSULTATION WITH OUR VETS WE HAVE BEEN ADVISED TO CANCEL IN ORDER TO MINIMISE ANY RISK OF SPREADING THIS FATEL VIRUS.
FULL REFUNDS WILL BE PROVIDED

oldvic

Visit site
The case in Wroughton is a horse that hunts with the Beaufort and would be in a situation that would get close to the hunt horses.

willtowin

Visit site
7 cases confirmed yesterday - 2 more today. Lucky for us we have a school and gallops at home - despite their best tantrums I'm not letting the kids and their horses go anywhere for the next probably 4 weeks. Too close to home for us. It mucks up eventing, they can't go to PC rallies, they can't compete or XC school and their trainer has to come here - but no way am I taking that risk! Too serious to play around with.

willtowin

Visit site
Years ago I had a horse that was supposedly diagnosed with Herpes respiratory virus. He was on big livery yard and it took the vets weeks to diagnose it.
Now this is what doesn't seem right, none of the other horses in that yard caught it. Not even the horse stabled next door and there was a grill separating the two stables so the two horses could touch one another/ breathe the same air.
I also had other horses on the yard& off the yard, and in the days leading up to the diagnosis, I was regularly in contact with all my horses , handled the sick horse then went on to handle the others- no change of equipment or clothes.
Was that really a Herpes infection? The horse did not seem that sick- just a high temp for weeks,and slightly running nose. He didn't have much contact with other horses, he had his own field but could say hi to horses next door and also in his stable.
So would that really have been a Herpes infection as not one horse in a yard of 40 caught anything ? Or does that just go to show how weak the virus is?!

Think this time it's a different strain (EHV-1). It's neurological and causes paralysis, there's a different strain that is a respiratory disease as far as I know

lhotse

Visit site
Where have these new cases been confirmed? There is a case along with the strangles in Chipping Sodbury but that is EHV-2, and the horse is receiving treatment at Bushy. It is not a risk to anyone else's horse and is unrelated to the current EHV-1 outbreak. I have heard about the case in Wroughton, but where else has it been confirmed?

There is a farm in Thornbury on shutdown with a probable case of strangles also.

MiaBella

Visit site
has anyone got a link to official reports of the EHV-1 virus new cases and is this the neurological strain (same as the 3 cases already confirmed and that are all linked)?

TarrSteps

Visit site
While I agree venues and events do have to take a responsible stance, there has to be SOME individual responsibility. Some basic common sense tenants of horse care seem to be, well,.not so common.

A propos of an unrelated incident this week I did an unofficial poll about monitoring temperatures in horses that have been exposed to an ill horse and/or are off colour. My sample included Equine degree holders, yard owners and other responsible types. Care to guess how many would do it a standard practice?

One. And that was someone who runs a Hunt yard.

A couple of people told me they wouldn't do it as were afraid of being kicked. A few said they had never taken a horse's temp, let alone monitored pulse and respiration. Others had no idea how they might tell if a horse was showing mild neurological symptoms.

It does make me laugh a bit. Horse owners put such a huge premium on diy and making their own decisions for their horses. They do not want to be told where to go or what to do. Then something like this crops up and suddenly someone else is supposed to step up and control the whole situation. ;)

Holidays_are_coming

Visit site
Tarrsteps this has made me realise that I really should know what is normal for my horse (we are hopefully no where near the outbreak) but I have a equine degree and dont know what my horses normal temp and respiratory rate are.

HammieHamlet

Visit site
Tarrsteps this has made me realise that I really should know what is normal for my horse (we are hopefully no where near the outbreak) but I have a equine degree and dont know what my horses normal temp and respiratory rate are.

luckily these days almost everything you need is online... for example, sites like this with the basic info about what to look for.... No degree needed, just a bit of googling ;)

http://www.thehorse.com/tools/normal-temperature-heart-rate-breathing

TarrSteps

Visit site
^^ That's my point. Of course that info is on the internet but it should really be on a note on the barn whiteboard.

I once had a horse lying down, looking a bit sad but not unduly distressed. I took her vitals and her pulse was over 60!! By the time I called the vet and checked it again - he didn't believe me - it was climbing towards 80! He trusted me enough to get in his car on the basis of that alone and the horse was, in fact, quite ill. It was all fine and likely she would have been anyway but we certainly saved some time, money and drama by jumping on it quickly.

Same with n neurological signs - if a horse has them as a result of injury then prompt treatment drastically improves the chances of a happy outcome.

There are lots of things you can 'wait and see' on, but not everything. Ditto taking horses out to compete. A horse spiking a temp should not be going anywhere, even if it looks otherwise okay.

This obviously has little to do with the original post but I have to say, I was surprised how many people were worried but not actually planning to take even the most basic, everyday precautions.

Personally, I'm with Gamebird. I don't think there is reason for panic. But if my horse had been out and about, or in contact with horses that had, and then looked a bit low or wonky or snotty, I'd at least start monitoring and practice basic sick horse management.

Ali16

Visit site
As Tarrsteps says, it's lack of awareness that is most likely to lead to more cases. A lot of our clients regularly hunt with various Cotswolds hunts and we hold regular training clinics, which lots of people attend. Although clinic horses will not have direct contact with our horses, we have cancelled our clinics & lessons, just in case someone doesn't spot the tell tale signs. Otherwise we are carrying on as normal. No panic needed, just common sense I think! :rolleyes: :)

noname

Visit site
While I agree venues and events do have to take a responsible stance, there has to be SOME individual responsibility. Some basic common sense tenants of horse care seem to be, well,.not so common.

A propos of an unrelated incident this week I did an unofficial poll about monitoring temperatures in horses that have been exposed to an ill horse and/or are off colour. My sample included Equine degree holders, yard owners and other responsible types. Care to guess how many would do it a standard practice?

One. And that was someone who runs a Hunt yard.

A couple of people told me they wouldn't do it as were afraid of being kicked. A few said they had never taken a horse's temp, let alone monitored pulse and respiration. Others had no idea how they might tell if a horse was showing mild neurological symptoms.

It does make me laugh a bit. Horse owners put such a huge premium on diy and making their own decisions for their horses. They do not want to be told where to go or what to do. Then something like this crops up and suddenly someone else is supposed to step up and control the whole situation. ;)

^^ That's my point. Of course that info is on the internet but it should really be on a note on the barn whiteboard.

I once had a horse lying down, looking a bit sad but not unduly distressed. I took her vitals and her pulse was over 60!! By the time I called the vet and checked it again - he didn't believe me - it was climbing towards 80! He trusted me enough to get in his car on the basis of that alone and the horse was, in fact, quite ill. It was all fine and likely she would have been anyway but we certainly saved some time, money and drama by jumping on it quickly.

Same with n neurological signs - if a horse has them as a result of injury then prompt treatment drastically improves the chances of a happy outcome.

There are lots of things you can 'wait and see' on, but not everything. Ditto taking horses out to compete. A horse spiking a temp should not be going anywhere, even if it looks otherwise okay.

This obviously has little to do with the original post but I have to say, I was surprised how many people were worried but not actually planning to take even the most basic, everyday precautions.

Personally, I'm with Gamebird. I don't think there is reason for panic. But if my horse had been out and about, or in contact with horses that had, and then looked a bit low or wonky or snotty, I'd at least start monitoring and practice basic sick horse management.

Agree completely, think you managed to say a lot better what I was trying to say a few pages back!!!
Less panicking, more thermometer and disinfectant!