eland lodge one day event

racebuddy

Visit site
hi , just wandering if anyone doing eland lodge one day event next week i have never been before about 2,3 hour journey and need to walk the course on the day so imigine going to have a very early start !!!

Roxylola

Visit site
I'm not, but I have done their unaffiliated and I trained round the course last weekend. It's quite easy to get to, it is a good way after you get off the motorway but it's all a roads.
The course flows well though and rode great. They are on clay, it rode well last weekend, has grass cover and I think they have a bit of surface at the actual jumps

wish upon a star

Visit site
i was at hunter trials yesterday so didnt get chance to go , i am doing the 80 , what class are you doing ? thanks

I'm doing the 70, first time out but horse has decided all of a sudden that she doesn't jump anymore so not sure whether to withdraw. It's a really long way just to get eliminated and I'm not sure why she isn't jumping either :/

racebuddy

Visit site
I'm doing the 70, first time out but horse has decided all of a sudden that she doesn't jump anymore so not sure whether to withdraw. It's a really long way just to get eliminated and I'm not sure why she isn't jumping either :/
oh know really thats a shame , have u jumped a lot ? maybe jsut out of practice post lockdown ? , xx

racebuddy

Visit site
They are on clay and not sure how much ground prep you'll get given the heatwave we are in... Nice courses though.
thanks he coped really well on the ground yesterday and just planning on hack today , hoping the course is not to overpowering but need to have a go c

AFB

Visit site
I XC schooled at Eland on Saturday, the ground is hard and slightly slippery but as long as you're sensible it should be fine.

They do manage the ground well, I did the HT a few weeks ago after an absolute deluge and the ground held up really well - and I was after lunch.

wish upon a star

Visit site
oh know really thats a shame , have u jumped a lot ? maybe jsut out of practice post lockdown ? , xx
We have done the same amount as normal really and then all of a sudden in the past week she's gone really strange. Put a cross pole up last night and she refused but jumped it second time. Obviously lacking in shows with lockdown, but first time out she went clear, then froze up in the 80 and wouldn't go over the first fence which she'd jumped twice already. Gone downhill since then.
Anyway it is a lovely course! Was really looking forwards to it, that's why I'm torn.

racebuddy

Visit site
We have done the same amount as normal really and then all of a sudden in the past week she's gone really strange. Put a cross pole up last night and she refused but jumped it second time. Obviously lacking in shows with lockdown, but first time out she went clear, then froze up in the 80 and wouldn't go over the first fence which she'd jumped twice already. Gone downhill since then.
Anyway it is a lovely course! Was really looking forwards to it, that's why I'm torn.
I think everyone just having lockdown nerves ect taking time to settle im so nervous and ive been schooling oher the 90/100 in lockdown but absolutely no way would i want go go and jump a full course x u should definitely donit x just have a chilled week i dodnt jump mine at all at home xxx

Chippers1

Visit site
I'm going :) doing the 70 though. I love Eland, it's such a great venue. The ground is normally ok even with hot weather. Might be nice for a trip out anyway!

racebuddy

Visit site
I'm going :) doing the 70 though. I love Eland, it's such a great venue. The ground is normally ok even with hot weather. Might be nice for a trip out anyway!
yep def a good run out , i have a feeling will need to leave at ridcualas time as will need 2 hours to get there and walk course , have u been before ? do u get enough time to walk sj and cc course

Chippers1

Visit site
Yes i've been loads! Not necessarily for the ODE's though...normally hunter trials. You should have time between dressage and SJ to walk the SJ course, or if you can memorise by watching it's easy enough to watch over. The XC course is quite long for walking but is pretty straight forward - I guess you could walk it on the day if you were there early enough! They normally post photos of the course on their facebook page a day or two before (of the xc) to give you an idea of which numbers/jumps you'll be following.

racebuddy

Visit site
ahh thank you , i have a 2 hour drive aswell but ideally need to walk both courses really , hoping the 80 isnt going to be to scary , does the cross country flow ok ? thanks ,

Chippers1

Visit site
I don't think the 80 is too scary (i've jumped most of the fences before, just not brave enough to put them in a course!) the course does flow well, I think it does anyway! It's normally pretty obvious which way you need to go and which one is your jump. I'm only 45 mins away so it's not too bad for me to walk the day before but if I had a 2 hour drive i'd definitely do the course walks on the day!

AFB

Visit site
ahh thank you , i have a 2 hour drive aswell but ideally need to walk both courses really , hoping the 80 isnt going to be to scary , does the cross country flow ok ? thanks ,

The 80 course jumps really nicely this year, they've changed the corner fence which was always a problematic one for me to a chunky table. The biggest questions on the course are probably the Newborough Leap & the HW Island - you can see full course photos on the FB page, they do make little tweaks occasionally but the 80 HT course from a few weeks ago will give you a very good guide.

Roxylola

Visit site
Theyve black flagged the Newborough leap, this year. Its more of a rider frightener though, keep your eyes up sit back and kick on - its on a nice flat section about a third of the way round with a nice straight approach, so you've a good idea of how they're going by then

Reactions: AFB

racebuddy

Visit site
Theyve black flagged the Newborough leap, this year. Its more of a rider frightener though, keep your eyes up sit back and kick on - its on a nice flat section about a third of the way round with a nice straight approach, so you've a good idea of how they're going by then

what does black flagged mean ? also whats the newborough leap ? sounds very scary for a 80 xx

Roxylola

Visit site
Its just a brush fence, it's got a little ditch in front but there's a log in front of it so all the horses see is a brush with a ground line.
Black flag is where they give you an alternative to jump - usually easier but takes longer

Ambers Echo

Still wittering on
Visit site
The Newborough Leap is a with a brush fence with a ditch in front of it and a generous helping of brush over the top so that it is bigger than 80cm. It is a rider frightener. It rides really well. You just need to LOOK UP and ride forward.

Roxylola

Visit site
Still from a video so not the best, but this is the 80 one

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210608-142035_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20210608-142035_Gallery.jpg
    168.2 KB · Views: 20

Ambers Echo

Still wittering on
Visit site
There is another brush later on that is actually a step up. That is another rider frightener. Brushes look big because they are overheight fences as they only count the solid part. Never seen a horse stop at that even my daughter's old fairly cautious 13.2

Roxylola

Visit site
I didn't even know there was a ditch before we jumped it because I was just walking for directional purposes- I try not to get too close to fences I have to jump.
This is the approach - 80 to the right

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210608-142602_YouTube.jpg
    Screenshot_20210608-142602_YouTube.jpg
    830.6 KB · Views: 17

Ambers Echo

Still wittering on
Visit site
20155751_1463826127030797_2766967825262716215_n.jpg

The 13.2 in question. He was not a brave pony and Katie was tiny! It rides very well.

20140076_1460208064059270_965439875251409295_n.jpg

Ambers Echo

Still wittering on
Visit site
You can see the jumping side here but Dolly is doing the 90. You can just about see the 80 fence next to it. As RL says - the horses just see the log as the ground line and won't see the ditch unless you look down or hesitate and make them back off and have a closer look. Head up, kick on!

175758977_3950069791739739_3339849948074863728_n.jpg

Chippers1

Visit site
I actually measured the 70 brush when I was there the other weekend (watching dressage) on the landing side it's 90cm but on the take off, if you measure from the height at which the log is at it's only 50cm! so actually they're no way near as scary as they look :)

AFB

Visit site
There is another brush later on that is actually a step up. That is another rider frightener. Brushes look big because they are overheight fences as they only count the solid part. Never seen a horse stop at that even my daughter's old fairly cautious 13.2

They've taken that out of the 80 so far this year