Eland Lodge or Newton for first time XC?

HaffiesRock

Visit site
Myself and my friend are looking to go and have a bit of fun XC schooling.

I have had both Eland Lodge and Newton recommended to me, and both are roughly the same distance away.

So which is better for myself and a friend, neither of us have ever really had a go at XC other than popping logs out hacking? Are there any others in the Nottinghamshire/Derbyshire area that are good for beginners?

Thanks

HaffiesRock

Visit site
Smallest possible!

My pony is known for demolishing show jumps, so something nice and small in case it takes him a while to realise he cannot hit them!

GinaGeo

Visit site
Both are fab venues. I think Newton is more suitable as a schooling facility as there are so many jumps relatively close together, whilst Eland Lodge is set up more as a course. That said I took my horse to Eland Lodge for his first time XC and he was fine popping what would be the 70cm course.

Aylesford was fab for schooling babies too as plenty of smaller jumps to pop over.

ElleSkywalker

As excited as Kitty about to be a bridesmaid
Visit site
^^^^Aylesford is great for schooling, loads of tiny jumps, took my 21 year old there last week for her first go xc.

Am going to Eland lodge Sat, there are some smaller ones but not as many as Aylesford :)

diamantejumper

Visit site
I really like the Eland Lodge XC Course. I introduced my two ponies to cross country there and they have both really enjoyed their outings. Speetley is a nice venue too :)

EquiEquestrian556

Visit site
Anyone going to Eland Lodge this Sunday (25th)? My friend and I are going in the early afternoon, and it will be my first time XC schooling so very excited! :'D