Electric car shock

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
I was out on a hack today with a strong wind blowing in my ears. An electric car appeared suddenly at my leg in a very narrow road with no notice whatsoever, I simply hadn't been able to hear it over the wind. This is going to be more of an issue the more of them we get on the road. I drive one, and knew the cyclists weren't hearing it, but I was really shocked.

Is there a solution to this?

Jo1987

Visit site
I've always thought electric cars were dangerous for this reason. I really think they should have fake exhaust noises!

Snowy Celandine

Visit site
Not quite the same but my car has fake exhaust noise piped into the cockpit. Well I think it might be the actual exhaust but it's acoustically enhanced or something so I'm guessing electric car manufacturers could pipe the sound outwards?

KittenInTheTree

Visit site
I was out on a hack today with a strong wind blowing in my ears. An electric car appeared suddenly at my leg in a very narrow road with no notice whatsoever, I simply hadn't been able to hear it over the wind. This is going to be more of an issue the more of them we get on the road. I drive one, and knew the cyclists weren't hearing it, but I was really shocked.

Is there a solution to this?

Wing mirrors attached to bridle? Seriously, there's room - they could clip on to the cheek pieces with a wee band up over the poll for support!

Darbs

Visit site
A few months ago our neighbour reversed off their drive in their hybrid Lexus, and his wife was kneeling down gardening behind it. He didn't see her and she didn't hear the car. He drove over her and she had to be airlifted to hospital with a broken leg and head injuries.

She later said that she didn't know the car was moving until it was pinning her underneath it.

maree t

Visit site
I was out the front of ours yesterday and one came past , just didnt realise it was there until the last minute . Thought then how dangerous it was .

Identityincrisis

Visit site
I believe (my Dad told me therefore tis true!!) the manufacturers are aware of the problems and looking to make them 'noisey'

ycbm

Visit site
Wing mirrors attached to bridle? Seriously, there's room - they could clip on to the cheek pieces with a wee band up over the poll for support!

I'm trying to think of something on these lines but I can't work it out. I'll be riding even more in the centre of the road in future though. A beep on the horn would have been better than what happened.

Ladyinred

Visit site
I was hit by one only last year. Walking behind it and no sound, therefore no warning. Luckily it was an elderly driver and moving at a snail's pace so only a bruised elbow.

Something the manufacturers haven't thought through.

Taliesan

Visit site
Someone I know, albeit only vaguely, who had an electric car (Nissan Leaf) told me there was something you could press inside to get the car to make a noise.

How true this is I can't say for certain, as I've never been in one, but perhaps people just don't have the noise turned on? Even then this person did say the noise it makes is very quiet.

LadySam

Visit site
I drive a hybrid and there's no button in my car that I can press to make noise. Apart from the horn.

I've been driving it for a few years now and have learnt to anticipate others not knowing I'm coming up behind and allow for it. Mostly it is simply being sensible, patient and keeping a safe distance. Which can be hard to find in many drivers in any car.

pennyturner

Visit site
We have a number of bridleways locally which emerge onto busy roads with no sight-line. It's scary enough having to rely on hearing before stepping out (we can't use those paths if it's windy). When electric cars get out here, we'll die.

ycbm

Visit site
I drive a Renault Kangoo electric van and of course it's a bit easier to spot than a car, being big and black. But I'm very aware of people in car parks not hearing it, and cyclists on the road.

Of course the driver was between a rock and a hard place with me, if they even thought about it. Do you beep a horse, or not? I wish they had, but they don't know that.

rabatsa

Far from the madding crowd
Visit site

They would have to stick out like the horns of a highland cow to see round past the riders legs. Then the horse turns its head the wrong way at a vital moment...

Kat

Visit site
Jeremy clarkson actually made this point about electric cars the first time he reviewed one for top gear! I think they will need to add noise in future but it will be more for pedestrian safety than horse riding. I believe the radio 4 programme for blind and partially sighted issues has also raised this.

I actually find my horse normally spots electric cars before me and will start to take me into a passing place or onto the verge!

paddy555

Visit site
They would have to stick out like the horns of a highland cow to see round past the riders legs. Then the horse turns its head the wrong way at a vital moment...

I too have this problem, not with electric cars but with racing bikes who come up flat out behind us on narrow winding lanes. I spend most of my time turning round to check for them and it affects the horse's forward going movement. I don't think they would work on the horse, on the wrist may be a possibility but I wondered about something like a rear view mirror on my helmet but of course there is the worry if you come off the attachment and the mirror could go into your eyes. Would be very interested if anyone has found a solution.

Beausmate

Visit site
I've had a couple of high-end petrol powered cars sneak up on me before. I was passed in my street by a Tesla - it was so noisy, I wasn't sure what car it was at first.

So the answer? Tyres that generate a lot of road noise.

Overread

www.flickr.com

The solution is clear - shift from horses to highlands!
Not only will you have built in horns to attach the wing-mirrors too but you'll also force cars to give you a wide clearance when they overtake least they get a scratch off a horn all up the side of their car!

Have to say silent cars are odd to be around; not got many in this area yet that I've noticed but even walking they can sneak up on you without any notice. Tyres that make noise or a loud air cooling system or something that forces the car to make sound all the time would be the solution. I think a button to press to "engage sound" wouldn't work; people would forget to press it or would press it as soon as they were right up behind you.

Sukistokes2

Visit site
I think that in a short time these cars will be made with faux sound, because accidents will happen and it will be a solution to the majority of them. A few lawsuits will sort it out.