Electric fence earth help!

Equinimity

Visit site
We are installing 2 mains energisers. Energiser A will power one big field (split into 12 paddocks) and energiser B will power the other (also split into 12).

The energisers will be next to each other in an outbuilding. The cables will come out of the back of the building and then split off to their respective fields (underground).

My question is, can the earthing systems be next to each other? I was planning on having 3 earth rods connected in a line for each energiser at rhe rear of the building. Or can the 2 energisers share an earth system?

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
I have just consulted my tame electric fencing expert :).

Both energisers should have their own individual earthing systems - we have two energisers side by side and that is what we do. We have three 2m long earth stakes connected in a line per energiser.

Equinimity

Visit site
Thanks so much for the reply. So if the 2 earthing systems/lines were a foot apart but parallel to each other it would be ok?

Last edited:

PeterNatt

s68.photobucket.com
The earthing stakes should be at least one metre apart from each other and as close to the energiser that they are connected to as possible. As you have so many fences you should also have a lighting arrestor for each energiser. (We use Agrifence H5716). Good luck.

Quigleyandme

Visit site
Sorry to jump in but can you please explain to me why each energiser requires more than one earthing stake? I recently bought a Voss mains energiser and it came with two earthing stakes.

Equinimity

Visit site
Sorry to jump in but can you please explain to me why each energiser requires more than one earthing stake? I recently bought a Voss mains energiser and it came with two earthing stakes.

As far as im aware the more earth stakes the better and they need to be whacked in deep.The more fence the unit is powering the more they need. My battery unit which just does 1 large paddock is fine with just the stake it sits on but the big mains unit needs 3. What I've learnt whilst dealing with electric fencing is most issues are due to insufficient/dodgy earth.