Electric Fence Posts - recommendations please

MrsMozart

Just passing through...
Visit site
I'm on the hunt for what feels like the holy grail ?

I'd very much like posts that have a decent spike that doesn't snap off at the hint of a helping heavy footed OH, that stays straight and true and doesn't do a visual of a Beckham bend, oh, and isn't a fragile wee thing that will snap under the slightest pressure. Holders! Mustn't forget the tape holders - they're preferably to be one that actually hold the tape. And are placed on the pole in such locations as to be compatible with houdini horses...

Have I forgotten anything ?

Ah yes, height. Tall enough to dissuade the majority (if not all) neds from proving the vets wrong and treating the fence line as a puissance challenge (yes Grey Mare, I'm looking at you!).

So folks. Any suggestions?

Errin Paddywack

Visit site
I would have recommended the posts I use but they seem hard to find. Hotline Steel horse posts. You add the connectors at whatever height you want. Ours are about 4' and some have lasted well over 20 yrs. I can only find 40" ones now which is a real shame.

HappyHollyDays

Slave to 2 cats and 2 ponies
Visit site
I have always used FarmcareUK for fencing posts and all the associated bits and bobs. They do metal corner posts and steel fence posts and although I’ve not tried them as I have wooden posts between my plastic ones I can recommend them as a supplier. Very fast and reliable.

Nudibranch

Visit site
Gallagher are the strongest plastic posts imo. They do 5ft and mine haven't bent at all. My preferred option though is wooden posts with screw in insulators. All depends how permanent it needs to be.

Mains energisers tend to be much of a muchness I think (unlike solar or battery). I have an Agrifence, mainly because I bought it in an emergency and that's what they had in the local farm store. More important than the energiser brand is decent tape or polywire which will carry the current without too much loss, and a really good earth. Use more than one stake if need be.

DizzyDoughnut

Visit site
I've had these for years they have hook type bits to hold the tape or rope, they've lasted so well and not broken despite being used over the years for a shetland that climbs through, a pony that goes over often taking the fence with him and a cob that likes to just casually stroll through the fence till either the tape snaps or the post come out of the ground and walks off leaving a trail of fence and posts behind him. They've survived all this with virtually no breakages and they're fairly sturdy not flimsy and wobbly.

https://www.agri-supply.co.uk/028481gal-gallagher-vireo-post-100m-10/

MrsMozart

Just passing through...
Visit site
Thank you all very much folks. I shall go peruse and see who has what in stock and delivery times.

The main fencing is posts with 3 lines of broad posh tape. The temp stuff is for the 'just in case' situations as I like to be prepared :)