Electric fencing help for a newbie

PeggyPatch

Visit site
Hello, I've recently got my own field and plan to move ponies there soon but I'd like to electrify the outer fencing and will then likely need to fence off parts of the field.

I've never had to do my own electric fencing before and although I'm looking at starter kits, don't really know where to start and if these are good value etc.

Any help on what I'd need would be great.

Tia

LaurenBay

Visit site
I used to get so confused with fencing!

Firstly you need to decide on tape or rope. I prefer rope personally.

You will need an enigizer, stake and battery. I got the Enigizer and stake from the local tack shop and the battery from Halfords, I got a re chargeable one. Then of course you need the posts or wooden posts (if wooden you will need the ring insulators) I would say the starter packs are good value if you have nothing. If you aren't sure if you have connected properly then you can get fence tester pretty cheaply.

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
I would use wooden posts if the fencing is to keep the horses away from the road as opposed to being used to segregate a field. They are stouter. Even if you have an outer fence and use the wobbly posts, then I would still use wooden ones for the corners and gateway.

When you look at the starter packs check that they are rated for a long enough fence line. Remember that the fence has at least 2 strands and calculate for double the fence length because of that.

The fence does not make a "ring" as the shock is more like a static shock, so each line is blind ended.

Buy a fence tester, it will tell you if you have done it correctly or not, with a measurement of the strength of shock.

I would avoid the spiralled metal fence gates, if a leg gets in the spirals it is hard to get them out again! I use plain tape for the gates. Also, when rigging the gates I make the break on the "live" side of the contact, so when I unhook the gate it will not be live even if I have forgotten to turn it off.

Buy 2 batteries. It is safer than finding out one frosty morning that the battery has lost power.

The starter kits are good, but you would need to add to them, for example wooden posts and plastic screw in insulators.

Blurr

Visit site
Your energiser will depend on the length of fence it has to electrify. Have a look at the Agrisellex website, lots of useful information on there.

Energisers are very nickable, if your field is near a road/easily accessed I'd tape over the light so it doesn't flash and give the location away.

You can use an old car battery, but a leisure battery is better suited to the job (assuming you're not on mains electric).

You need a good earthing stake (keep it watered when the ground is dry).

For the permanent fences, I use galvanised wire (it's a beggar to put up but great conductivity). For interior fences on polyposts I use rope. Tape is more prone to being blown down.

Have you got a cordless drill? You can get an attachment for screwing the insulators to the wooden posts, which makes it much quicker and easier on you.

PeggyPatch

Visit site
The field is about 3 acres but is a long thinish strip which has an L shape to it. It currently has wooden post and rail around the outside, which have the insulators attached (hoping they've left them) and distributors. So I'm guessing I'll probably need the rope?

How many batteries will you need for that type of field size? How much rope do you think roughly I will need?

Thanks everyone for your messages so far. :)

LaurenBay

Visit site
The field is about 3 acres but is a long thinish strip which has an L shape to it. It currently has wooden post and rail around the outside, which have the insulators attached (hoping they've left them) and distributors. So I'm guessing I'll probably need the rope?

How many batteries will you need for that type of field size? How much rope do you think roughly I will need?

Thanks everyone for your messages so far. :)

1 battery will do you 3 acres easily. I have one on 5 acres, but then I do have Horses who are very respectful of fencing.