# electric fencing on existing post and rail? #

shiresrus123

Visit site
hi looking to get some kind of electric fencing started, but never used it before, so a bit overloaded with info BUT...

is it possible to convert an existing post and rail fence into an electrified post and rail fence? Would it be a case of putting insulators into each post and then running electric tape alongside the rail, and then using croc clips to attach the battery to the electric tape?

thanks very much!
grin.gif

D

Donkeymad

Yes, it is perfectly possible and actually very good. Do exactly as you said, and knock in the relevant insulators to each post, then run your tape along these.

Cahill

Visit site
yes,you can do that.i`ve done it the cheap way,instead of buying the insulaters i cut up 5`` sections of hosepipe,bent it in half and nailed it on to the posts with the tape running through the loop.

you just have to make sure the fence doesn`t earth out on any of the wood.

legaldancer

Visit site
I have this to keep them off the fence & to stop hi-jinks from neighbouring horses. However, I've had 2 horses run through the internal P&R fence in the past & they take the tape/rope with them as they run, which I've found can injure them just as much.

shiresrus123

Visit site
thanks very much for all replies, what does the whole earthing thing do, thats where im getting confused i think, fence earthing out on the wood?

great idea on the hosepipe thing, i might look into that!!

im thinking id need hosepipe/insulators attached at the height required on the upright posts, run the electric tape along these, and then just plug into the battery?

do i need a battery and energiser or just 1 or the other?

im hoping the run through wont be an issue, they respect it at the mo, just break it leaning over being greedy so need to zap!