Electric fencing with tree stakes?

Abacus

Visit site
Sorry for such a dull thread! I need to section a very long field (estimated about 300 feet long) and want to do so in a way that lasts a reasonable time (at least summer, if not longer). I will use electric tape but really dislike the plastic fencing posts - awkward to get in the ground, and prone to bending, breaking and falling over. But I don't want to have proper fence posts put is as it may not be permanent. Would tree stakes do the job, with proper insulators?

Like these:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-8m-x-32...hash=item1c7499023f:m:m69v7k0pvAiosYbCh99Zmuw

honetpot

Visit site
They would but to get them in they may split and if they go through it they will probably break and leave a stake.
I am a fan of these and I am replacing all my wood with them. Its a one man job to put them in and you could probably use only half a dozen for 300yds with tape. You clip the insulators to fitting of the post at variable heights.You can get them out if you want to move them.

http://clipex.co.uk/

popsdosh

Visit site
Must admit to be being a little nervous of clipex with horses for what I feel are obvious reasons we use it for temporary cattle fencing but never considered it for the neds. If an accident can happen horses find a way

glamourpuss

Visit site
I use fencing stakes with screw in insulators for part of my fencing (like you I don't like the plastic post but need a degree of flexibility)
For long straight sections they are perfect & for the corners of the fields I use round fencing posts just because they are secure.
I think they are fab. There can be some splitting, usually when screwing in the insulator of you do it more than once but wrapping a bit of duck tape around it tightly stops it spreading & breaking.
They are an absolute doddle to get into the ground.
Cheap as chips too.

antigone

Visit site
We use prick posts - wood but smaller than ordinary fence posts - they are about 2" diameter and they have a metal ring around the top to stop them splitting when they are knocked in. Your local agri supply shop may have them. You can re-use loads of times.

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
I used 6ft 2x2 inch birch stakes with electric fencing-some may well split but I used mine for three years and they worked really well-much better than plastic posts. I did put in bigger posts at the corners and gateway though.

Abacus

Visit site
Thanks all for the suggestions. It sounds as though I may well be able to use the wooden stakes and bash them in (hopefully it will rain a bit first). I like the look of the clipex but this is a low-budget project, I have spent too much already on proper posts and Fieldguard stuff for the edges of the big fields!