Electric poultry netting - stupid questions

paddi22

Visit site
Hi,

We have 2 demon goats that are kept with a mini. They demolish all fencing, so I got electric poultry netting. I'm hooking it up to a normal 9v battery kit.

Just had a few stupid questions as I've never really used electric fencing before and can't seem to find information on this netting stuff.

- If i pin down the base with metal tent pegs, does this reduce the charge through out fence or help it?
- Some one suggested using metal rods as extra posts. will this help boost charge much?

I know vegetation etc touching the wires can lower the charge, but do metal ones work the same way? It's just they seem to not be scared of the charge, so i might switch to a 12v battery. Just wanted to know what effect the metal pegs would have on fence
any help appreciated!

be positive

Visit site
Surely the charge will go down the metal pegs into the ground and earth the fence completely, any metal posts I have in use have a rubber top that the fence goes through to prevent it earthing out, I think you need to use a plastic peg to stop this happening.

NoCollection

Visit site
You will be OK using metal tent pegs to peg down the bottom strand of the poultry netting, as this isn't electrified. Don't let the pegs touch any of the other strands. Don't use metal poles to hold the netting up as they will cause it to earth - you need plastic poles for this.

You need a good earthing pole - this doesn't touch the netting but is pushed into the ground nearby and the black lead from the fencing unit clips onto it. Your electrical circuit is fencing unit - red lead - netting - goat's nose - goat's body - goat's foot - earth - earthing pole - black lead - fencing unit. This will give you one electrified goat.

If you find this setup ineffective, it is probably due to a short-circuit somewhere rather than 9v being insufficient. If you are brave, touch the fence to check. If you are not that brace, you can get little fence-testers. Do watch out for things that the goat can climb on near the netting - they will climb onto shelters etc and then do a "mountain goat" leap over the fence. Even my chickens do this if the henhouse is too near the fence.

WelshD

Visit site
My goats made short work of electric netting. Ive personally found that with naughty goats only something more substantial keeps them in - if i get to a point where i have found something sufficiently substantial i will let you know!

Mananzwa

Visit site
Goats will certainly be kept in by netting. They do need a higher voltage than standard energisers to create the imprint necessary - nothing less than 6000v. The bottom strand is not energised as stated above so you may peg it down.

Maintain tension in the net by attaching it to a wooden/metal post at the ends and corners using cable ties or plastic string. The plastic posts supplied with the net may be great in the line but WILL bend at the ends and corners where tension is applied from 2 directions.

twiggy2

Visit site
if the goats have horns netting is not a very safe option as they will often rub there horns on fencing and netting is very easy for them to get tangles in and if they are receiving shocks whilst tangled it could turn out very badly-years ago I detangled a tup that had got caught in electric fencing it was still alive but collapsed, everytime a charge when through the fence the tub tensed in response, I managed to find the power source and turn it off and detangle the tup but it was in shock, I went and found the owner and the tup died that night from the shock, I think electric fencing with can be a risk with any very heavily coated animals as they can be tangled before they receive a shock the same can happen with goats horns.

what are you using at the moment as fencing for them

Suelin

Visit site
One of mine used to jump electric netting and get out that way. However I did an inside run of additional electric fence so it was really wide for her and that stopped her. Good luck with it, they can be the very devil if they are the determined kind.