Electrics on livery yard

sanchob

Visit site
I’ve recently taken on a yard of 16 stables in a court yard style. We’ve discovered now we’ve had to start using lights that the electrics aren’t good and some of them are cracking! Unfortunately the farmer isn’t willing to put any money in to fixing the problems. I just wondered if anyone had there yard rewired and what the rough costs were? We are having to turn the electric off at the mains for peace of mind at the moment, until an electrician can get to us.

Toby_Zaphod

Visit site
The only way to find out what it will cost is to get an electrician out to price up the job. Before you get one out decide what you would like regarding lighting & power sockets. Also consider using led bulbs, they give great lighting at very low voltage although the bulbs may initially cost more but they do last thousands of hours. These will cost you much less to run.

I'm afraid some farmers are only too pleased to have horses on their land but many don't want to put any money into the property. Fifty pence pieces are shaped that way so you can get them out of a farmers hand with a spanner!

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Have you considered solar powered lighting? I think these days you can have electic sockets powered by solar too.
We have solar lighting and it works extremely well for us, although we only have 4 boxes.

Trouper

Visit site
Definitely think you need a proper assessment by an electrician. If the system is faulty and/or dangerous, then I think it is a conversation to be had with the farmer - at least to consider sharing the costs. Most leases insist the property has to be left in the state that it was rented out - think I might definitely consider solar panels that might be portable at the end if he proves intransigent!!;);)

chocolategirl

Visit site
I’ve recently taken on a yard of 16 stables in a court yard style. We’ve discovered now we’ve had to start using lights that the electrics aren’t good and some of them are cracking! Unfortunately the farmer isn’t willing to put any money in to fixing the problems. I just wondered if anyone had there yard rewired and what the rough costs were? We are having to turn the electric off at the mains for peace of mind at the moment, until an electrician can get to us.
Ah the wonderful hidden costs of running a livery yard? all I can a say is, whatever it costs, get it sorted, the risks just aren’t worth it and in any case, your insurance would be void if there were to be an incident and it turned out to be faulty electrics. Electricity terrifies me? so I’ve never messed around, I’ve always just got a professional in to sort. Money well spent but sorry I can’t give you an idea of the cost of a full rewire, but suggest you get at least 2 quotes?

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
I'm a YO and it is my responsibility, end of, to make sure that the basics like safe electricity is in place.

The farmer, if he is renting out the facility, has ultimate responsibility for ensuring that the electricity is safe!

If he is taking money for providing a "service", then there is an inherent responsibility!!

This is shocking, and gives other YO's - and farmers in general, a bad name.

I do not think you should be in the position of having to share costs to repair and/or re-wire with the farmer!! Absolutely not! Suppose you leave in say six months time, or a year even? And you've paid out a fair sum on having the electricity sorted out?? Will the farmer then give you a refund for your "part" in paying for the electrics??? I rather think not!

The farmer should be the one to call for the electrician; if YOU put the call in, I am afraid you will pay!

Methinks a serious business conversation with the farmer is required; you may have to inform him that due to the electrics being in a dangerous state, you expect the matter to be seen to ASAP or you have no alternative but to move on! Period! An alternative course of action would be for you to say to him that as you are concerned about the safety of the electricity supply, you would like it made safe i.e. cut off/disconnected. This would be a cheaper option for the farmer. Then you could consider generating your own electricity supply: either by use of a generator and/or you could perhaps consider solar. That way, you could take it with you when you go. And of course, if you are supplying your own power you would expect to pay considerably less for the facility.......

Whatever, I think you need to have a conversation with the farmer.