Electrolyte recommendations for fussy horse please

Charlie31

Visit site
I am currently competing my horse at BE and doing quite a lot of training for that. He's quite a sweaty sort and it has been suggested to me that it might be helpful to give him some electrolytes.

I'm just wondering which to buy as he is a very fussy sort who also has a small appetite. I struggle to persuade him to eat most things and even with food he likes he'll quite often eat a bit and then stop. So anything I add to his feed needs to be as palatable as possible otherwise the whole lot will be going in the bin!

Does anybody have any suggestions please for electrolytes that fussy feeders will go for? I've already tried plain salt by the way and that was deemed unacceptable.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
I always thought feeding electrolytes can be tricky and often cause more harm than good, I would be inclined to speak to your vet first and get a true understanding of them and they may be able to recommend what to use.

Can I ask why salt alone is not good enough?

Charlie31

Visit site
Sorry I should have been clearer - the horse won't eat his food if I put salt in, hence why I was looking for an electrolyte that would actually be palatable for him?

I've been recommended electrolytes by a couple of nutritionists now - I know they can be prone to trying to sell their products but one was an independent one with no vested interests. Can I ask why you think they could be potentially harmful please? I certainly wouldn't want to inadvertently cause damage.

Templebar

Visit site
I have fed the NAF ones in the past, which was just like salt so probably wont eat them but the amount was quite small. I got given a tub of topspec ones and it smells like wild berries so smells appetizing to me but the scoop is quite large. I think it might be something you will have to test out. Can you contact some companies for a couple of days sample. Or see if anyone you know has some you can try.

Orchard14

Visit site
I use one from Science Supplements. My horses have always been very fussy eaters too with little appetites they will take a mouthful and then start dancing around waiting to go out. I sprinkle some mint over the top of a feed which seems to keep them interested in it for a bit longer

TPO

Visit site
I feed salt and lo salt but I've never had anything in what would be classified as hard work.

I know it's out of favour due to iron content but I used to put a block of Himalayan salt in a water bucket while I filled it up (& then remove it) and offer it with 2 buckets of "pure" water in the field. They used to help themselves to salty water when they felt they needed it and always had the choice.