electrolytes

GingerTrotter

Visit site
What are the best electrolytes and the most palatable?

I've just started going much longer distances and alot faster on my endurance rides and feel its time to start the GingerTrotter on some electrolytes prior, on the day and after a ride.

Thank you

spookypony

Visit site
I use the powder from Naff, and just put it in the pony's feed, as well as in the speedibeet tea. On a ride, I tend to have speedibeet tea, water with electrolytes, and plain water available, so he can have whatever he wants.

Pep12

Visit site
Dodson & Horrell ones are really good - I would recommend you use these as most closely resemble what the horse actually loses when it sweats.

GingerTrotter

Visit site
Thanks.
He doesnt like sugarbeet so will only drink fresh water and is VERY fussy! so i'm worried if i put something in the water he wont drink at all. He acts very suspicously when i put something in his food he doesnt like and then wont eat for a couple of days even when you dont put it in! daft horse!
I've put plain table salt in his food and he doesnt mind that but it cant be more than a table spoon.

Pep12 is the D&H ones powder to put in the food? I think i'd prefer trying him that way that the water based ones as he's not a good drinker at the best of times so i'm not risking puting him off that.

Thank you

SpottedCat

Visit site
If he is fussy, I'd go for one of the electrolyte formulae which come in a syringe so you give them like a wormer.

_Rach_

www.rhpeventing.weebly.com
NAF do some in a squirty bottle that you can give them.

The Maxavita ones are good and smells sweet.

But any 'known' brands will do the trick. I always add mine into feed before an event and the day after. Or any day when she gets hot.

Pep12

Visit site
Yes the D&H ones go in the feed and ime very palatable.
Horses can't store electrolytes as such but you can give him a day or two before during and after your endurance events. On a regular basis use a mix of 2/3 table salt and 1/3 lo-salt. About a tblspoon a day. This is cheaper and less wasteful for regular feeding ;)

ShowjumpingPrincess

Visit site
I recommend lexvet to everyone and anyone I know! Not only is it BRILLIANTLY palatable (all of our fussy horses eat it) but it is incredible for maintaining condition. I have a couple of friends that are endurance riders and they both feed it to their horses. One even went as far as saying it was a 'miracle' in turning her horse from a grumpy,temperamental mare with poor quality hooves to a lively yet rideable mare with perfect health and sleek and shiny coat. Before feeding lexvet, she struggled to get her horse well enough to pass the vet, but she is immensely happy with the results of lexvet. We feed it to all our horses including show jumpers, dressage horses, eventers, driving horses, pony racers, showing ponies and even a vaulting horse! My uncle also feeds it to his race horses!:eek::):)