Eleven colt foals dumped, explain the logic

honetpot

Visit site
https://www.facebook.com/groups/welshrehomingproject/permalink/1308347935957978/?pnref=story

Right I understand why colt foals get dumped, no one wants to pay to geld them.
When you put a mare in foal you have a 50% chance or more of getting a colt, which is worthless. So if a filly is worth anything, you still have to keep it three years before it has a 50% of producing a worthless colt.

I know people who breed small coloured ponies, they are miniatures of scaled down coloured cobs and exchange hands for thousands of pounds, a stud fee can be £500.
The ones that have been dumped look like welsh crosses, they were never going to be worth £50, colt or filly. Dumped so not even worth pet food money, some only look 3 months old, so why would anyone do it?

JJS

Visit site
Goodness, that makes for a sad read :( Judging by their foal moults and tails, a number of them aren't much older than my little May, who is 10 weeks tomorrow, so they should still be with their dams, not scared and abandoned. It makes zero sense, but I guess the way these people look at it is that even the most minute profit from filly foals is still money in their pockets.

Cecile

Visit site
There is and can never be any logic to it, these individuals should be found and horse whipped
Of course these dumping individuals will never be found, its like the 3 brass monkeys, see, hear and say nothing ... so next year they just do it all over again, the theory is if it has a uterus use and abuse it...........

stormox

Visit site
Is it possible these foals were bred by someone who rents out mares to studs (usually TB) when a valuable foal needs a foster mum?

meleeka

Visit site
The thing to remember is these ponies don't cost a penny to breed, so even a small amount for a filly is profit. They don't get fed, don't see a vet or farrier and even when they die they just get dumped. It's very sad indeed :(

ihatework

Visit site
Is it possible these foals were bred by someone who rents out mares to studs (usually TB) when a valuable foal needs a foster mum?
Very very unlikely. Those studs in my experience make every effort to rehome foster mare foals to good homes.

Dare I say it, these have originated from the lower end of equine society. So very sad

popsdosh

Visit site
Very very unlikely. Those studs in my experience make every effort to rehome foster mare foals to good homes.

Dare I say it, these have originated from the lower end of equine society. So very sad

Exactly the two studs I know that do this both hand rear the foals in a group and they are well cared for.

honetpot

Visit site
Foster foals now go for good prices, its the mares rent for a lot of money so they are well looked after and the sires often known larger stallions, so they make over 15hands.
These scraps only look like they will make 12.2, so the mare would be too small for a foster mare.

Antw23uk

Visit site
I had to stop following that FB page, it was making me too angry. I see that poor Dora lost her fight for life .... She is the reason I left the group, that poor poor animal should have been pts weeks ago within a day or two of her arriving! I understand the need/ requirement to help these poor animals and the amazing job they do but that was a no no for me!

Visit site
Off topic totally but how would someone go about fostering one of these little loves?

This is why I get so annoyed about people breeding when there's tiny babies being abandoned and dying - the world does not need more horses. What was the figure the BHS is always quoting? 7,000 'at risk' isn't it?

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
This is why I get so annoyed about people breeding when there's tiny babies being abandoned and dying - the world does not need more horses. What was the figure the BHS is always quoting? 7,000 'at risk' isn't it?

the workl doesnt need more poorly bred horses no-but none of those rescued here would be of any use to me whatsoever. so I am quite glad people are still breeding riding horses.

JJS

Visit site
To make matters worse, I've just seen on a Facebook foaling group I'm part of that the charity believes they're May babies, making them no older than my little Flower. Seeing pictures of them after seeing how happy and healthy she is just makes my heart break for them.

Seville

Visit site
Its travellers for sure. They are the ones responsible for dumping dead and dying horses, on rubbish tips, in lanes, anywhere. Tin hat on, and flame suit, but it's what I am convinced of.
They know now that these sad scraps of life get rescued so anything they can't be bothered with is dumped. ........and breathe.............ba$¶®ds

Visit site
the workl doesnt need more poorly bred horses no-but none of those rescued here would be of any use to me whatsoever. so I am quite glad people are still breeding riding horses.

That's true actually - me being 5"8 they'd not be much good for me either, everything being dumped seems a maximum of 13.2
I keep seeing FOUR MONTH OLD FOALS for sale though because no one wants them and they're "all small bred" too, so are mini cob types. But who wants a 12hh heavy cob!? In fairness they're so cheap it's tempting sometimes just to ensure they don't end up dumped somewhere, or as dog food! :( :( :( :(

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Visit site
*dons tin hat*

And this is why we need more slaughter houses licenced for horses in this country and to be allowed to export them for meat. There are fates worse than death.

Clodagh

Visit site
Export on the hook not on the hoof. No live animal transportation to slaughter should be allowed, I am surprised at you EKW.

Someone said you wait 3 years to breed from your mare, you don't need to do that, just run her with a stallion from weaning and she will probably foal by 2.

Visit site
I'd rather see them have a short journey and be bumped off here and the carcass sold for meat than have them transported across the continent alive, packed in like sardines.

windand rain

Visit site
I'd rather see them have a short journey and be bumped off here and the carcass sold for meat than have them transported across the continent alive, packed in like sardines.

Me too it should be possuble to slaughter unwanted horses and ponies at every town so none have to travel long distances crammed in like sardines and carries thousands of miles before slaughter. Why does it happen every year because some of these poor mights are "rescued" by people who think a £5 foal is a bargain after all half an hours lesson costs upwards of 25 quid they dont know how long it takes or jow to care for them but the iver in the breeders pocket is a fiver more than they had. If the foals start to cost money they are dumped because fewer and fewer rescuers are about. It is sadly not jst unscrupulous travvellers either there have been quite a few prosecutions of big studs where the ponies have starved to death or are badly deprived because the best are kept and the rest ignored and allowed to suffer. Anyone who breeds a foal should have to be licensed and graded so that poor baby is wanted and a useful animal for future use not just from a womb to be filled or a place where colts are never cut so they are foals whos father brother grandfather great grandfather are all the same stallion
I will add it is pretty impossibe to police so will never happen

Visit site
. It is sadly not jst unscrupulous travvellers either there have been quite a few prosecutions of big studs where the ponies have starved to death or are badly deprived because the best are kept and the rest ignored and allowed to suffer.

Yes including one who has been done twice over for keeping animals when he was banned and still shouts from the rooftops when a pony with his prefix does well in the show ring. Including the one the owners say they got from a rescue centre that was given a week to improve before the final decision was made because he was in such a bad state! This man makes my blood boil and I really, really, REALLY want to punch him square in the face... numerous times!!!

Clodagh

Visit site

I read your comment as being pro live export. I have no problem with slaughter for meat but should be done in UK.

Leo Walker

Visit site
Anybody know if this made any difference year on year, I assume it is a free service

http://www.bhs.org.uk/our-charity/p...ckling-overpopulation-and-overbreeding-crisis

It was very limited as far as I remember. You had to take the horse to them which stopped a lot of people attending. They were also charging about £100 to geld, passport and chip when our local vet was gelding for £100 so there wasnt a huge amount saved. It was a nice idea but I would imagine the impact was pretty much zero :(

Kaylum

Visit site
Our latest intake was tied to a lamp post and left there in the middle of a housing estate. We see it everyday exchanged for drugs usually and kept in the garden. We had a call out to one that the police attended with us last year but sadly couldnt stand. All colts all unwanted all dumped. They dump them cause they get ill quickly without care they wont pay for a vet so let someone else take on the problem.

Last edited:

Cecile

Visit site
It was very limited as far as I remember. You had to take the horse to them which stopped a lot of people attending. They were also charging about £100 to geld, passport and chip when our local vet was gelding for £100 so there wasnt a huge amount saved. It was a nice idea but I would imagine the impact was pretty much zero :(

That's such a shame as this below one was £100
http://www.endellequinehospital.co.uk/documents/castration-offer.pdf

I just assumed that it was a massive reduction or a free service based on need as vets were actually volunteering their time and effort but obviously not
http://www.gypsy-traveller.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/BHS-Castration-Flyer-SW-1.pdf

Nudibranch

Visit site
I keep seeing FOUR MONTH OLD FOALS for sale though because no one wants them and they're "all small bred" too, so are mini cob types. But who wants a 12hh heavy cob!? In fairness they're so cheap it's tempting sometimes just to ensure they don't end up dumped somewhere, or as dog food! :( :( :( :(

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

That's exactly what I'm looking for - a small cob type for driving! Poor wee babies though.

Visit site
That's exactly what I'm looking for - a small cob type for driving! Poor wee babies though.

Look on dragon driving. Appalling website, full of tiny cobs going for pennies, but at least you know you'll potentially have saved something from a fate worse than death. (ie abandonment, long distance transport to slaughter on the continent). Tbh I'd get one to break to drive for my father if I had enough land/time to do it properly, but I don't. (I want to break my mare to drive at some point, when I can finally convince her that long reining won't kill her! :D )
Or get one from a rescue - but most rescues only do permanent loan type agreements so the horse is never actually yours.