Elvis update.

Elvis

Visit site
I'm not sure anyone wants an Elvis update, or has been following his issues. But it helps me to write down how things are progressing.

So physio came out today and said his pelvis and hips are much better than last time- no pain, a little stiff but to be expected. She also mentioned he'd muscled up a bit, and that must be due to him working correctly from behind. It was nice to hear as I find him quite tricky.

However he was VERY sore over his mid back- where the saddle goes, I mentioned how he'd been intensive work (on vets suggestion) but she said the level of reaction and tension should never be that much. I mentioned I have the saddler out tomorrow but the saddle has been checked many times by different saddlers and has always been deemed a good fit. The physio said she's doesn't think the saddle is the problem.

So she's going to speak to the vet and they will hopefully arrange a day to both come out together and see him lunged and ridden and then the vet will take x-rays of his back (we did consider hock/leg x-rays too, but he's passed all the flexions and it's thought that if it was a leg issue the intensive schooling would have revealed it) and then whilst under sedation the physio will do a deep massage treatment.

I'm feeling pretty positive about this- like progress is actually being made. And all these 'cold-backed' symptoms may actually have a cause. Just waiting to hear back from the physio to see what her and the vet have agreed.

Elvis

Visit site
Thank you- and yes I'm feeling positive for the first time in a while, so many people have told me to keep schooling and put the pain issue to the back of my mind (not people on here I might add). You never know the x-rays may reveal something awful- but at least I'd know, instead of worrying and wondering.

Flame_

Visit site
Good to hear his hind end's improving, hopefully its just a case of sorting each bit out at a time and in the end everything will come right.

Elvis

Visit site
Goldenstar: yes I'm really pleased that they are now going to actively work together instead of just passing on their observations. I'm hoping that this means we'll find a cause sooner rather than later. The physio did say she'd be surprised if the x-rays didn't show anything.

Flame_: Yes it's nice to hear that he must be working correctly more often now, as the pelvic area is better- he has traditionally held all his tension here so it's good to see I'm doing something right! I was starting to think I was a lost cause!

skyrock

Visit site
Been quietly following Elvis posts and I am so pleased for you that there is progress. sending you hugs and healing vibes for your lovely boy

Elvis

Visit site
Thank you skyrock- hugs and healing vibes are much appreciated. Saddler came out today and deemed the saddle a good fit but it needed re flocking and a bump smoothed out. It might make a difference, we'll see when I ride tomorrow. And physio and vet are booked for 12.00 Tuesday 17th. I'm happy that we are progressing but I'm nervous about what we might discover.

skyrock

Visit site
My thoughts and vibes will be with you all weekend and especially on tuesday. Hugs vibes and good wishes. And hopefully what you find out on tuesday will be positive. Positive vibes and hugs.

babymare

Visit site
Keep positive hun. Often knowing what problem is is half battle. when you know you can often solve it. Thinking of you andi hope you get answers x

Tobiano

Visit site
Well done you - you've been working really hard to get Elvis right and really hope this allows you both to turn a corner. Any luck with the re-stuffed saddle yet? :)

BBP

Visit site
Interesting. Fingers crossed you get some answers. (oh, you might like to hear my ponys liver levels are coming down a bit, I posted about it a week or two ago). Blinking animals like to put us through the mill!

Elvis

Visit site
Well I rode him today and I don't think he put his back up...but I can't be 100% sure as he does it to varying degrees. (Will see tomorrow morning-lesson is at 8.15) I feel awful as the saddler said after, that it really needed re flocking and had a bump in it. I'd checked everything and the saddle was the last check, as it had been done recently (within 3 months) I didn't think it could be THAT bad. So maybe this has been a big contributing factor? I'm not convinced yet as he was still a bit stuffy to ride, I may pop him on the lunge on Sunday and see if I can spot a difference in his way of going. Although annoyingly/wisely I had the physio/saddler out a day after another without exercising in between so I don't know whether it's the saddle fit or the work the physio has done that's potentially made a difference.

Elvis

Visit site
KatPT: I saw, that's such good news. I hope they continue on the same path! However if you are anything like me even when they are back to normal you'll still worry about it. I still have bloods done every 1-2months. And yes these horses are sent to test us.

Thanks for the support everyone. My parents are non-horsey so don't have a clue what I'm talking about, so it's nice to know I have somewhere to go where people will understand why I'm worried.