Embarrased about viewing horses :(

ihatework

Visit site
Sensible decision, why not look for an older horse on loan to get back into regular riding etc before embarking on buying something?

SEL

Visit site
The embarrassed riding in front of people thing? Trust me you get that even when you've been riding forever and are fairly competent. I rode one warmblood round thinking - wow, this horse is going like a giraffe, the owner is going to think I'm completely useless. Apparently it was less of a giraffe with me than others, but I could feel my face going that horrible pink colour!

So build up your confidence and don't rush. Keep an eye on adverts and get a feel for what you want. Ride lots of different horses and start to know the type that suits you. I'm tiny, but my horses are chunky & I originally thought I was in the market for a TB.......

PaddyMonty

Visit site
You've had some good advice here already. My advice would be to stop thinking about a horse for life unless you are prepared for the horses ability to limit you in the future. To me, horse are just like instructors. Unless you are very experienced the one you need now is unlikely to be the one you need in 2-5 years time.
Looking for the lifetime horse often puts unrealistic requirements on the search. Find the horse you need now, learn from it and then find it another home that needs that sort of horse.
Doing this both horse and owner are generally happier. Neither has unrealistic demands placed on them and neither is resented for limiting the other.

blitznbobs

Visit site
Tbh a responsible breeder or dealer wouldn't sell you a youngster,youngsters and novice riders make terrible combinations and whilst people will say it can work it usually ends up with an unhappy broken horse and quite possibly a seriously injured rider. Youngsters are dangerous, no two ways about it, and unless you've got the experience (or the money to get a youngster on a professional yard for a couple of YEARS at least) then don't buy a baby... The fantasy really will become a nightmare very quickly .

Archangel

Visit site
It is a good decision to hold off for a while (shows remarkable self restraint btw :D) - I would now always buy in Spring having bought mid winter and couldn't get going due to weather, frozen ground with a horse that must have had a previous life in a rodeo or a circus :D and needed riding every day :mad:

Siennasong

Visit site
Thanks every one - i must say I feel much more relaxed after all the great and sound advice! I am 100% sure now I do want to postpone for next year, just to get more intensive riding in and also maybe do the bhs owners certificate.. Just looked at the horse and hound ads.. Very daunting - so much out there! But i do feel settled in my heart to put it off until summer, and im sure time will fly by fast! This forum is truly great ;) x

Siennasong

Visit site
It is a good decision to hold off for a while (shows remarkable self restraint btw :D) - I would now always buy in Spring having bought mid winter and couldn't get going due to weather, frozen ground with a horse that must have had a previous life in a rodeo or a circus :D and needed riding every day :mad:

Haha yes self-restraint I have!! Just dont want anything to go wrong - dying to regain those golden years I had before :)

oldie48

Visit site
I agree with this totally. I've owned several horses over the years. My first horse was the perfect first horse, she gave me loads of confidence but would not have been up to the job I want now. Whereas I wouldn't have been able to ride one side of the horse I have now, 10 years ago. I know people who have ridden the same horse for 20 years then sadly it has to be retired or PTS, they then really struggle to find something they can ride confidently. I'm glad you have decided to look at more established horses, so many people underestimate the skill, experience and confidence needed to bring on a youngster properly.
You've had some good advice here already. My advice would be to stop thinking about a horse for life unless you are prepared for the horses ability to limit you in the future. To me, horse are just like instructors. Unless you are very experienced the one you need now is unlikely to be the one you need in 2-5 years time.
Looking for the lifetime horse often puts unrealistic requirements on the search. Find the horse you need now, learn from it and then find it another home that needs that sort of horse.
Doing this both horse and owner are generally happier. Neither has unrealistic demands placed on them and neither is resented for limiting the other.

applecart14

Visit site
I feel a bit ridiculous for writing this but am feeling a bit down so here it goes! I am finally in a position to buy a horse and have been searching for a while now.. I have had a very long time away from horses so my riding is not at all what it used to be. I wouldn't say i'm a good or 'beautiful' rider, although I am very confident/comfortable and also sensitive/not heavy handed. I just don't think i have any refined skill if that makes sense? Or maybe no skill? Aahhhh i dont even know what is classified as sufficient 'skill'! So i am embarrased to go to viewings because I feel the breeder will look at my riding and be turned off to sell.. I can't explain what i'm feeling exactly - i'm just embarrassed about my riding and actually have no idea what it looks like from the outside! But i have spun so much in my mindset that when I call to book a viewing I immediately panic and start babbling on about how my riding is not good anymore and that i'm just getting back into it.. Then my viewings get cancelled on me.. And now i'm just making excuses to not go to any viewings anymore and my horse owning dream is starting to slip away!! All because i cant face to do the riding infront of breeder.. Please help .. I feel silly for writing this even!
Note: if there are any breeders out there (not dealers) please can you explain what you look for in an owner when they ride your horse? Would be much appreciated! X
I was like this with my present horse when I went to view him. I felt my riding wasn't up to the standard it should have been and I was about three stone lighter then as well! When I arrived at the event riders yard (the dealer was dealing from some stables he rented there) I really felt under scrutiny, like I didn't fit in. The event rider (quite a well known chap, been on telly, etc,) was milling around in the ménage and his wife and their groom and the jockey he was giving a lesson too were all milling around. I said that I didn't mean to be rude but if they were intending watching me ride this dealers horse (which it was obvious they were as they all watched me get on) could they just leave as I felt a bit flustered with everyone watching me. They very kindly did and just left me the dealer and my Dad. I felt much more comfortable then, especially as I yelled to the dealer that the horse was bucking, when in actual fact he had a canter that I had never felt before, really bouncy and elevated behind! How embarrassing! 12 years and two slipped discs later his canter still plagues me with its bouncyness :)

OP I think you need to pre warn people whose horses you go and view that you feel a bit awkward with people watching you. Its the best way, to be open and honest.

Even now when I ride someone else's horse I would rather they just left me to it, than watch me. So much so that when my friend came to ride my horse every Wednesday evening I would say to her "I will come and help you get on and then come back in about 30 mins to watch you" and that way she could have some peace whilst I mucked out as I know how it feels when people watch you ride! :)

I've competed for 20+ years and never worried about people watching me then, sometimes its been to big crowds like at MKEC 3DE or the trailblazers final at Stoneleigh, or loading my horse at a Monty Roberts demo in front of 800 people, don't care in the slightest, but hate it if people watch me ride at home because that is the time when I've found some people are at their 'most bitchy' and will make nasty comments whilst watching you ride. Sends shivers up my spine thinking about it now!

Last edited:

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
If you don't speak french and you're friend doesn't speak french, you aren;t going to teach each other french.

I absolutely love this quote!

OP, I would continue to window shop if I were you, one day one may just pop your way that you really can't live without viewing. If that happens then view with your trainer.

I do agree that a youngster from a breeder is unlikely to be a match, but with adequate backup it is a possibility. It just tends to be more backup than most people are prepared to buy in, and means that you are not truly independent with your horse, so in the medium term it may not be as much fun.

I also know that often I will think I wish to buy a tall young gelding, in a dark colour so no washing, and what I fall for is a small, old, grey mare! So, it is entriely possible you will fall for an older horse.

Kaylum

Visit site
Please remember owning a young horse is not just about riding its the whole package of how you handle and teach the horse/yourself. My experienced friend bought a young horse from a breeder she had had older horses all her life but decided it was time to get a youngster. This horse put her in hospital and she her front teeth kicked out and broke her jaw. She has been through everything with the horse and luckily would have not got far without her very good instructor who showed her how to handle, hack out and ride a young horse. There are things she hadn't thought about until she got him like the horse changing shape very quickly whilst growing for saddles, taking the horse out on its own and the traffic, things she took for granted with her older horses.

Just make sure you have that support network and extra money for the experience you may well need to pay for. Riding is just one tiny part of horse ownership, and young horse ownership can be quite an eye opener and doing things the wrong way can ruin a horse for life as they remember things.

windand rain

Visit site
This is why I buy nothing older than a year old. I always like to handle them from the start if possible, they are my ponies and are brought up the way I want them to be. Backed and ridden by people doing it my way no hangups. I have had to adjust to different temperaments over the years but they are all very much here for life My babes my responsibility for life

Maesto's Girl

Visit site
I love riding youngsters and ALMOST bought a 2 1/2 year old that was ready to be backed but thought better of it as I wouldn't have the time to put into her properly. Instead, I share a 7 year old (who behaves like a 4 year old as she hasn't experienced much) and an 8 year old Arab - both of which are interesting to ride and have their challenges, but not so young as to be taking all their learning from me. I have only ridden horses under 8 for the last 5 years, but I do recall how riding older - more experienced horses can help boost your confidence in your riding. You make a mistake on a schoolmaster, they might be a tad grumpy - if I do something to annoy my Arab....she turns into a rodeo pony!

I'd suggest (as with others) looking at slightly older offerings from dealers, and even private sellers as it sounds like that would be a better match. The last thing it sounds like you need is a youngster making you question your riding ability even further

OrangeAndLemon

Afraid of exorcism
Visit site
I'll be in a similar position in a few months (fingers crossed but not brave enough to go for a youngster) so I'm having lessons and have asked my instructor to give me lessons on getting on a strange horse and assessing it. I think this will help move my focus from 'what do they think about me' to 'what do I think of this horse' which is what I'm there for.

q105

Visit site
OP, whilst you've had wonderful advice, and your decision is a good one, I'd like to offer a little snippet:

I share an ex racehorse. He's magnificent. But he was wonky in all ways when I first started sharing him. His lovely owner had two of the ******* and needed a hand. I rather think I was her only offer! I was neither experienced nor confident enough to bring on her shwonky, stiff young handsome boy. But we stuck it out over a couple of years and more instructors and we now nearly get things right.

I would wholeheartedly advise a share for your next year, so that you can be reminded of the bond that you can have with hard work and dedication to one beast, and as a result of this, I can assure you you will have a broader scope when you come to buy next year.

I also now have the means to buy my own, but I literally could NOT imagine a horse (he's not even mine!) comparing to this little nincompoop!!

MagicMelon

Visit site
Why are you looking to buy from a breeder specifically? Can you not open yourself up to usual horses on the market? I think you know when you're downing yourself so try to stop ;) You could try taking a friend with you who would be willing to ride first? That often takes the edge off a little. I have to say I always ask the person specifically what their riding experience is and what they want to do on the phone, then I advise them very honestly if I think my horse will suit them.

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
I can identify with a great deal of your angst OP.

I'm a mature rider, and apart from pony club many light years ago, I've just been a happy hacker, and always had easy horses that were the sort you could flip round the lanes before and/or after work, and at weekends. I hadn't (oh the shame of it!) done anything in the school, simply as I've always kept my horses at home in the main and haven't got a school at home.

I am also the sort of person who never performs their best if anyone's watching me, I get very nervous and stressy, and hate it!

I'm in the position now of horse-hunting, and so am having to Woman Up and get on all sorts of horses that I don't know anything about; which can be very scarey, not just because you don't know the horse, but also, invariably, someone is bound to be watching. So I can identify with your predicament. It isn't easy.

I just wonder, from something you've said, about going to see horses at the "breeders". Are you looking primarily for a youngster then? If you are not terribly confident, then might I respectfully suggest that going for a youngster might not be the best way to go about buying a horse for yourself, at the moment anyway??? It might be that you need something where the behaviour is a little more established, say a 6 or 7 year-old, rather than a youngster??? If there IS such a thing as a good dealer in your area, you could do worse than get in touch with them, explain where you're at, and put yourself in their hands. Any good dealer will be able to assess your riding ability, and will be able to pick up on the fact that you may be nervous trying out a new horse, and will hopefully push you towards something suitable for your current ability.

I actually suspect OP that you are actually quite confident on a horse that you've ridden before and know well; and you would, in that situation, feel reasonably brave about doing something where people were watching and wouldn't be jittery. It is just the unknown factor, of being on a strange horse, in different circumstances, where you haven't a clue how it will react.

At home I ride quite a quirky cob who certainly isn't a novice ride; and I'm quite confident to hack him solo and get him past all sorts of stuff like farm tractors etc that we meet out on the roads; but take me to see a horse and ask me to do walk, trot & canter in the school, and I'm a gibbering wreck!

Anyhow, practically, so how can you and I go about addressing this fear of being watched? Something you could do is to go along and have some lessons somewhere. Explain your situation to the instructor, and ask them to put you on as many different horses as they have in their yard! Ride at all paces, walk, trot, canter, and pop a fence if you're so inclined. Ask to go out on a hack and do some fast work across country. All of this will help build your confidence. Then at the end of your lesson, ask if you can have a different horse next time!!

Also, while you're having instruction, get a "feel" for the horse under you. Think about the horse, its way of going, what sort of movement does it have? Is the movement level? Is there any unevenness anywhere? Is the horse going forward nicely in a firm rhythm, or is it needing a lot of leg on and behind the movement? Are you satisfied the horse you're riding is sound? - I've tried out lots of horses this summer, liked two very much, but the vet spun both of them, so now I am trying to get a "feel" for unsoundness and lameness.

Also you could ask to see some horses trotted up, and try to spot lameness or unlevelness. You'd be surprised how many horses in general usage are not level and have minor lameness issues! What I'm saying is that as well as getting confidence in riding with others watching, you could do worse than develop an "eye" for when you do go looking at horses.

As someone else has said, concentrate on the horse underneath you rather than the onlookers in the gallery. Their opinion on your riding does not matter, what matters is whether you like what's under you.......

Last edited:

cundlegreen

Visit site
Tbh a responsible breeder or dealer wouldn't sell you a youngster,youngsters and novice riders make terrible combinations and whilst people will say it can work it usually ends up with an unhappy broken horse and quite possibly a seriously injured rider. Youngsters are dangerous, no two ways about it, and unless you've got the experience (or the money to get a youngster on a professional yard for a couple of YEARS at least) then don't buy a baby... The fantasy really will become a nightmare very quickly .

Hear, hear! I have a 6 yr old for sale that has been nicely brought on, and just started BE with good results. I've now had three people come and try him, who could not ride with an independant seat, and hung onto his mouth, stopping him from doing his job. There is no way I would sell this horse to anybody like that, but I'm beginning to think that i should ask to see a video of them riding before they view. Save their time and also my horse's mouth. All of these people made themselves out to be much better riders than they are. I'm beginning to despair of finding an educated rider.....

rachk89

Visit site
I wouldn't say you need to wait a year to be honest just evaluate what you want.

What do you actually want to do with the horse? Do you want to go and do some fun competing in the same month as you buy it? Do you want to do the majority of the training? How do you see yourself as a rider? What kind of horses are you used to riding and what ones do you like riding?

I am kind of opposite to most I actually prefer it if people are watching because then I feel I have to actually try. If no one is watching I am lazy haha. But if people are i am more like "ok got to do this right or we are gonna look stupid". I don't feel pressure from it though it's more encouraging. I even do things that i don't normally do with more people around. Think me and my horse are just show offs really even though we are useless haha.

It is nerve wracking going to view a horse though and that's any horse. I refused point blank to even trot one horse I got on when searching because she terrified me. My favourite type of horse oddly is stubborn and a little lazy, so me basically. I like lazy, lazy horses rarely bolt whereas flighty ones like this one was will take off if their shadow looks abnormal. She was a bomb waiting to explode and i can't handle that although i know some riders who seek that out they love it.

No one is going to expect you to turn up and ride like Charlotte dujardin either. You aren't a professional although i am sure you are still a good rider. You don't have to do fancy movements on the horse when trying it either. Check it has brakes and will go and turn when asked. Check its obedient and not afraid of silly things.

Think carefully about what you want from the horse. You can still keep a horse for a long time even if it's 6/7/8. And by that time it should have more training too. It doesn't have to be a 3/4/5 year old and frankly I would avoid them anyway. They are still growing and to let them mature properly you may need to give them months off to grow and develop which is no fun. My horse is still growing at 7, when I got him I am pretty sure he wore 6'3/6'6 rugs and now he fits 7'0 rugs. It's only been a year and a half!

Dont let your fear put you off. You will find a suitable horse one day i have no doubt on that. Just make sure it's suitable for what you want to achieve.

JanetGeorge

www.horseandhound.co.uk
I have this thing in my mind that the breeder will want to see me leg yielding and riding in a nice outline and so on.. Walk, trot, canter, jump, change paces fine - but more refined 'professional' techniques no.. I don't think i can get on a horse and immediately get a beautiful outline, or change paces without my legs and hands visibly moving..

I've sold about a dozen home-bred and backed horses in the last 12 months and I can assure you that ALL I expect is that the rider can get on with the horse, that it is happy to tolerate them and that they have a realistic idea of what they can expect from a youngster. Yesterday it was a 4yo mare, backed about 8 weeks, very quiet and sensible. Rider watched her ridden and asked intelligent questions. Then got on and did what I suggested - as always - just pootle around quietly and get the feel. She then tried a 6yo mare who'd done more - and was a bit 'sensitive' (buyer warned in advance.) That mare went well for her too - but the 4yo won her heart.

Sold a 5 yo mare a few months ago to a rider who had lost confidence aftre a bad accident/injury and done very little riding for 18 months. I wouldn't have sold the mare to her except she had a VERY good young trainer who came with her, rode the mare beautifully - and sympathetically. The buyer never actually cantered - that didn't matter with the help she had on hand. We always joke with the rider - to try and get them to relax - virtually EVERY buyer IS nervous and self conscious about trying strange horses - even GOOD amateurs. (Some professionals can be a bit cocky about it, lol.)

Any reputable breeder is looking for someone like you - who recognizes their own capabilities, and who wants the right horse - to treasure for life.

If you're within travelling distance of me (Shropshire/Worcestershire borders) come and have a browse - and first have a ride on a sweet 12yo home-bred who is NOT for sale. I'll give you a brutally honest opinion on what you're ready for - and if I have one that tugs at your heart, then try it - IF I believe it is right/ready for you.

be positive

Visit site
A great response from JG and just the type of breeder/ producer I had in my mind when I posted earlier on the thread, making contact with someone like Janet who will only sell to the right home and starts her youngsters correctly is in my view the best way for a less experienced person to get a good start , it is why the initial phone call is so telling, if the seller and buyer are on the same page from the start it can make the whole process so much easier, it is still true if you are buying something older, bad vibes before you even get there usually mean the horse will not be for you.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
^^^^, great posts from Janet George and Be Positive.

I'm one who Janet has sussed out by popping me on the lovely Brooklet for a trial ride. Was very wisely redirected away from the young horse I originally enquired about to an older, more suitable one.

My own young homebred, (too small for me), has gone out on loan to a very experienced local family, which I am very relieved about. I was dreading allowing various strangers try her out, who may be considerably less capable riders than they had made themselves out to be. It wouldn't take much to upset an inexperienced horse who is not very used to different riders.

Irish gal

Visit site
I would not limit your search to breeders, but would seriously consider going to a reputable dealer. A good dealer will work with you to find the right horse for your standards and requirement.
What sort of age, breeding and price bracket have you been looking at and what do you ultimately wish to do with the horse?

This. Just go to the dealers and ride one or two there. They will then have a picture of you and what you want and will call you when they have in a horse to match. That way you will only ever ride in front of just two people, the dealer and your instructor who you trust.

This has just become a phobia in your head. You've ridden other people's horses in the last year and you didn't freak out over that and over them watching. Ask your instructor for guidance on a dealer and go to one with 'a good bedside manner' so to speak. You will soon get over your nerves. I'm an agent and I've had nervous buyers and ones like you. I just let them walk for twenty minutes and clear everyone else from the arena. I know it's a self conscious thing, suddenly having like four people watching and following your every move. Unless you've great confidence it's not nice. A good dealer or agent will work around you on this issue.

And I think having a horse will do you great good. They are the world's best therapist:)

JanetGeorge

www.horseandhound.co.uk
I'm one who Janet has sussed out by popping me on the lovely Brooklet for a trial ride. Was very wisely redirected away from the young horse I originally enquired about to an older, more suitable one.

Now you're testing my ability to add 2+2, Tiddlypom. Who did you end up with. Brooklet is a darling - I had her back 4 years after I sold her and she got into the wrong hands and turned into a little monster. Thankfully she came good again.

turnbuckle

Visit site
Catching this late.....but my guess is that you are actually a bit better than you think. Sure, not every young horse may be right for you, but if I was you I would bite JG's hand off and git down to her.....

And when you ring someone, just say "look, your horse sounds great, I'm a bit worried he may be too green for me, may I come down and meet him and have a chat and a sit on if we agree it's a good idea.

You'll get nowt but respect from anyone decent....

PS You'll also have to dodge the dodgy one's who'll try to sell you a mad fire-breather (oh yes they do exist) but honestly most breeders and dealers don't mind if they sell to a less-than-brilliant rider. If they only did, you'd be surprised how few they sold!

Mince Pie

Visit site
As a previous owner who used to event, you're hardly a novice! I'm going to go against the grain and say I wouldn't rule out a youngster but perhaps when you ring a breeder explain about your previous horse, and riding experience, and the fact that you're returning after a break so still slightly rusty.

Skib

sites.google.com
I was in my 70s when my RS mare of 10 years retired and I thought of buying.

I certainly wasnt competent but having learned to ride as an older adult I was used to the idea that one could get instruction in almost anything. I made a mental list of the skills one needed to try out a horse for sale. I mean a horse one has seen ridden by the vendor and judges to be within one's capabilities. And I went to a BHS school and was taught them.
My list included riding w t and c in a school both indoor and outdoor on a horse I hadnt ridden before.
Learning and repeatedly riding one particular Prelim dressage test so I could ride that test on any horse I was thinking of buying. You might want to go choose a higher level, and these days, I would myself insert items from more advanced tests.

Going to a RS for lessons will not only restore your competence it should give you the chance to ride a number of different horses which you dont know. When staff go to take their BHS Stage exams they have to get on horses they dont know and one needs to go off and do the same. A first assessment lesson at a BHS school is likely to be given on a slow safe horse, so it is worth while returning to ride others. If you want to event, go and ride at a centre where you can ride an unfamiliar horse over fixed obstacles. Get your hand back in.

I spent about 12 years riding just two horses - with whom I had a long and close relationship. Many owners are in that situation and less confident about hopping on an unknown horse. When it comes to buying a horse you dont need to explain that to a vendor. Go back to school for a refresher course so you know in your own mind you are fit to try out horses. The decisive communication will be between you and the horse.

Goldenstar

Visit site
I think most people hate trying horses it's a high pressure situation some sellers are horrible and attempting to sell horses that buck and rear etc and will happily say nothing and let you risk your neck .
It helps to have a plan .
I always have someone with me if at all possible it gives you confidence to have someone on your 'side ' .
Make a plan in your head .
I watch the rider from the sellers 'side ' ride the horse of course I watch the horse but I spend a few minutes really watching the rider .
Are they a good rider if they are the horses usual rider how has the way they ride impacted the horses training , are these things likely to be issues you want to work with ,also importantly is the rider very skilled and making the horse look easy as rider that was once very good at making green horses look easy and happy ( I rode for a dealer for a while ) I am very wise to this one .
Look at how the horse goes and access it in line with what you like and need for me a horse that's not forward and sharp is a big no no I don't like them get bored fast and it's not nice for the horse or me .
So my priority would be to find a horse forwards enough to amuse me that's not as mad as a box of frogs .
So write down what you want arrange in order of importance read it just before the viewing to help keep your mind on track .
When your on the horse you also need a plan to access it .
I ride the set pattern I always to do to check out the basics and then will pick one thing to try influencing I make this choice while watching the sellers rider this is to see if the horse wants to work with me or I with it .I am trying to see if the horse will fit my training regime so we we will find it easy to work together .
I prefer to watch the rider ride the horse on the flat then ride myself then watch the horse jump then jump myself , this is because I much prefer to try the flatwork before the horse has jumped often of course it works out differently .
I always see the horse on a road ( unless of course it's a proper baby ) I always hack away from the yard several times and across the enterance .
Few people like to get on a strange horse in a strange place in front of strangers make it less horrible by planning your viewing and having a basic plan in your head for trying the horse .

Last edited:

googol

Visit site
I completely understand where you are coming from OP!
When I was looking for my current horse I felt much the same
Very luckily, the way things worked out, my friend tried him first for me, rang me and told me he was worth a visit, so I arranged to see him, went with another friend who also rode him first, and I got on for a quick walk trot canter, and bought him. There was no way I was going to jump him and ride for more than around 10 mins with an audience, but I completely trusted my friends who were both very experienced and knew me very well. Would that be a possibility? If not could you take some lessons and build up a good relationship with an instructor who could do similar?
I know a lot of people would disagree with such a short trial, but sometimes you just know, and when you are so low in confidence, unless an actual trial away from the yard is possible, that's sometimes the only option