Embarrased about viewing horses :(

Siennasong

Visit site
Wow thanks every one, such supportive and positive posts! It's also really nice for me to read your own various experiences, and also to know I am not alone in feeling like this! I already feel much more relaxed and happy about the whole thing after reading all your replies. Janet George - thank you for the offer, that would be absolutely amazing! I'm not near you but am fine to travel any distance for this kind of help and breeder. A brutally honest opinion from a breeder is exactly what I think will help me also, because I think my whole nerves come from not actually knowing where I am at. I will pm you and thank you so much! X

MrsMurs

Visit site
I feel your pain OP. I've been looking over the summer and always feel a little nervous about riding in front of the seller, not that I'm questioning my ability, just that if I like the horse I desperately want us to gel.
To help with this, my riding instructor told me to do exactly as I do when starting a lesson or getting on board any horse for the first, second or gazillionth time .... ask for walk and run through a little assessment of what the horse feels like/what he's telling you on that particular day - does he move off from the leg? Is he straight? Does he favour one rein over the over? Then I do the same in trot. I don't even think about asking for collection until we've a, warmed up, and b, I've had a little conversation with the horse first to try and understand him a bit better. It works for me as it relaxes me, zones my head away from 'performing', rather focusing on the horses way of going.
Best of luck

Last edited: