Embarrassing injury - what to do?

Casey76

Visit site
OK peeps, please don't laugh!

I had a lesson last night, and the combination of new jods and lashing rain and leather saddle has resulted in me getting some really nasty friction burns between my bum crease and thigh on each inner leg :eek:

Due to the situation of the abrasions, every time I get out of my seat, it takes the top off the wound, and it is smarting *just a tad* After sitting in my office chair for most of the day, I now have two patches of goo inside my trousers (oh boy!) and the abrasions seem to be spreading.

I have two lessons booked for tomorrow, and at this moment in time I have no idea if I will be able to sit in a saddle :eek: never mind ride hard for an hour and a half.

Any ideas on how to treat said injuries? I tried talc last night, but the burns are oozing too much, and not keeping dry. I'm tempted to use aluspray, though that might involve too much contortion to apply... melonin and plenty of micropore? I'd probably be waddling, though probably not any more than I already am.

*sigh*

HufflyPuffly

Visit site
Ooo that sounds nasty! Are they small enough to pop plasters over the top of them, so at least it will stop clothing sticking and give them a bit more chance to heal?

be positive

Visit site
Not sure riding tomorrow will be a good idea but tonight I would have a long soak in a salt water bath to really clean them out and dry them up, it will probably sting and I have no idea what you would put on it afterwards but am sure there will be some suggestions, it sounds extremely painful I have had saddle sores but nothing to that extent.

poiuytrewq

Visit site
Ohhh, Ouch! What about those menolin dressing squares? As AlexHyde's plan but might be a bit bigger and more flexible?

Just to make you feel a little better i once went on a long ride in new "seamless knickers" now they were seamless as in the outer edge has not stitching but all that was made up for in the gusset area. I had two 50p size burns just inside my bum cheeks!

Casey76

Visit site
I'm totally blaming my new "summer weight" jods. They are made of some kind of breathable material, rather than my normal cotton types ones. I might need to resort to gym trousers this weekend (and big knickers :eek: )

Casey76

Visit site
Ooo that sounds nasty! Are they small enough to pop plasters over the top of them, so at least it will stop clothing sticking and give them a bit more chance to heal?

Nope definitely not small enough to put plasters over. The abrasions appear to be about the size of 2 50p bits lined up, though the weeping areas are smaller.

Roxylola

Visit site
Put surgical spirit on as often as you can. Do it in private before attempting in a public (thinking work) toilet in case it makes you squeak a bit!
It will work

Micropony

Visit site
Sudocrem. It was recommended by a friend of mine who is a retired pole dancer. Apparently it's the business for pole burn. I can vouch for the fact that it also works on chafing from breeches worn with pants that have seams in the wrong place! Have it in the first aid kit for the horse but hadn't thought of using it on myself until she kindly recommended it!

And not very attractive, but you could try riding in those spanx type knickers that look like cycling shorts.

Well it works for me!

mums the groom

Visit site
Metanium Nappy Rash Ointment is really good stuff. it really helps to dry up like sudecream. its in the baby isle in most shops only advice is because its a yellow cream it can stain underwear, so wear old ones

Peregrine Falcon

Looking forward to drier days
Visit site
I'll second the sudocrem. (Not from personal experience I hasten to add, only that it's good for nappy rash, LOL)

How about sticking sanitary towels to the inside of your trousers? :p

Peggs

Visit site
Sudocrem is pretty awesome for abrasions and grazes. I had some stellar grazes after being dragged that oozed for several days and used in conjunction with gauze attached with, the name escapes me and I am relying descriptive skills, human masking tape which I could then soak off in the shower or bath at night.

I am a total whimp at taking plasters off and just about survived the ordeal without going too light headed.

Last edited:

satinbaze

Visit site
Go to the pharmacy and get some tegaderm it's a thin film dressing that acts as a second skin. Should stop all goo on your trousers and may allow you to ride. Athletes use it for "nipple burn"

w1bbler

Visit site
No treatment advise, but to stop it happening again chamois crème - my husband bought it for cycling, works brilliantly for prevention

Damnation

Visit site
Make sure its not a bacterial infection.. I had a little sore on the back of my leg last year in a similar place to you and I put it down to the fabric of my seat in work rubbing against my trousers (both very unforgiving). Within a 3 days this little sore (smaller than my little finger nail) covered most of the back of my thigh and part of my next one.

It was a Streptociccal type infection that needed hefty antibiotics!! :eek: Also VERY infectious, I had the goo on my trousers aswell. My poor OH had to put dressings on it for me so that I could sit down, true love LOL!

Cobbytype

Visit site
Metanium Nappy Rash Ointment is really good stuff. it really helps to dry up like sudecream. its in the baby isle in most shops only advice is because its a yellow cream it can stain underwear, so wear old ones

This and a slice of lint on the sore bits to stop friction when you ride.

Lucyad

Visit site
I feel your pain, having suffered a similar injury (but smaller I think - hole in the middle of my bum cheek) when wearing my lovely new summer weight johds! I wonder what it is about them, as otherwise they are really comfy and I like the look for them too.

Mine healed up surprisingly quickly, though did dictate a few days out of the saddle.

Hope yours heals up soon.

Mozz_Horse_UK

New User
Visit site
If you can get hold of some Allevyn, (a dressing, which is available from pharmacists in the UK) it's brilliant for making burn-type lesions less painful and heal quickly as it keeps the wound moist so that the skin cells can migrate over the wound more easily. I think you can get ones with sticky round the edge. (I'm used to using large ones in horses). Not sure how easy it will be to apply in the mentioned area, but definitely better than a melolin in the pain stakes!

Last edited:

Abi90

Visit site
A pharmacist should be able to help you. They can diagnose minor ailments/injuries and recommend the best course of action. If you're going to have to buy some stuff anyway I would speak to the pharmacist so you don't risk putting anything on that could make it worse. They will also be able to tell you if the gooeyness is an infection and if you need to see a doctor.

Sudocrem is not always the best for healing, it forms a barrier which prevents any infection but tends to dry stuff out which doesn't aid healing too well. I kept putting it on some eczema (even though it says it can be used on eczema) and my doctor told me off!

Maesfen

Extremely Old Nag!
photobucket.com
Echo the salt water baths and it doesn't sting a bit which I thought it would after having stitches after child birth!

Also have you any Savlon or zinc & castor oil cream as both are fabulous for those types of injury, in fact any type of nappy rash cream would do the trick but you must give it time to heal so I'd strongly advise against riding tomorrow until it's healed over and then wear your old comfy jodh's for a few days. Once the skin has healed over, surgical spirit or witch hazel should toughen it up.

Nudibranch

Visit site
Definitely go for the melolin or Allevyn. You need to keep them covered and moist - and well padded for comfort! They sound like friction burns with that weeping.

Clodagh

Visit site
Cotton boxer shorts are good for future prevention. I used to nick my OHs, they were very comfy but possibly a bit lacking in the sexy department.

honetpot

Visit site
Provided its clean and fairly superfacial, wash and dry the area with a hairdryer, it gets in all the creases. Then apply,
http://www.boots.com/en/Lanacane-Anti-Chafing-Gel-28g_51067/ ,you do not need very much. Its also good for runners nipples.
I could never understand when I was a teenager why my instructor wore old ladies knickers with long legs, I do now. Breathable thermal bloomers take the moisture away from the skin and do not ride up into the creases.
It not very Jilly Cooper, but its comfortable.

TTK

Visit site
ooo, poor you. No advice about healing other than seeing a pharmacist would be a good idea. But for future use (and following on from the 'Daisy' thread), I now use Body Glide in my sensitive areas, No more chafing! Highly recommended.