emergency treatment of a laminitic escapee

windand rain

Visit site
found the lammi pony in long, lime green, grass Yesterday at 6am having broken through two wire fences. Have penned him in a tiny area with soaked hay and bran mash (no stable) and made him work hard. He isnt lame just wondering how long it will be before goes footy or if we have avoided it now

GoldenHours

Visit site
If there is the slightest chance of an attack of laminitis then he should not be made to move any more than necessary until you are sure he's ok. If the laminae are inflamed then any concussion - even mooching around a paddock - can cause further damage. Confine him to a stable sized area - off grass and on soaked hay until you can get advice from your vet. Lots of useful info on the Laminitis Trust website.

windand rain

Visit site
Sorry was trying to see if we could prevent an attack happening he is still sound has no pulses and is happily trotting around his pen. He has no grass as such as it is a pretty bare pen he has been on for 5 weeks now, about the size of two stables, has been having soaked hay for the same time, but he thought a field full of luminecent green grass would be a better bet and trashed the only non electrified bit to get to it. My guess he was leaning on it so hard he fell through. The fence is now electrified on all 4 sides. He has never in the 11 years I have owned him gone near a fence so it must have been attractive, this is a first for him. Well meaning passers by have let him out of his pen before and he got laminitis which is why I was worried. He definitely did it himself this time the little git. He is on borrowed time as he isnt worth the worry and expense of extensive treatment as he is a dangerous, valueless companion that only a mother could love (and I do) but if his quality of life is to be severely compromised I will PTS as his lifestyle has always been a priority to me. He is happiest with the herd, pretty much eating on the track system of a bit of grass, water and soaked hay and grooming and bossing the girls about. I fear if he cannot or will not stay pain free in these circumstances his live is for him not worth living. He has been with me since he was a matter of weeks old and has always been an evil so and so, so in his case it nature not nurture he has had a charmed life so far in a horsey idyll but if he is to stay he will have to be worked more, be contained in a smallish pen and eat wet hay which he loathes. I hate this illness. He has tested several times negative for cushings, ir and other metabolic illnesses he is basically food obssessed because he has always been on a diet a small chance to gorge will be taken in the blink of an eye.
So the question is can you prevent an attack or is it inevitable. Though process from the vet was if he was sound and showing no signs then work him to use up the excess sugar and use bran to clear any extra toxins from his gut. We are at 32 hours now can we safely say he is not going to succumb or not

Last edited:

Goldenstar

Visit site
That's good , naughty little brat.
When I was a child my Shetland escaped went through the village and called in at a friends he got into a feed bin and ate the best part of half a bag of pony nuts as he was permanently on a diet that was like me eating a Christmas dinner for twelve myself .
The vet was called and I had to walk him up and down the beach and in the sea for the best part of three days I loved my pony but I was a bit sick of him by day three .
He did later get laminitis when a kind person decided to put their grass from cutting their lawn Into his bare paddock he was still scoffing when my mum found him but that time it was too late the vet was called I think they drenched him him liquid paraffin but he foundered in the evening .
That time I ended up sitting on his back for hours in the sea so the water cooled his feet .

windand rain

Visit site
He is sound still and now 3 days post escape so it looks like the treatment worked. Still lunging him as I want more weight off him he came out of winter slightly too well compared to normal

GoldenHours

Visit site
The track system sounds ideal and yes, plenty of exercise generally is good - just not if you suspect an actual laminitic episode is what I meant. Sounds like you are doing the right thing and being guided by your vet. It is a horrible disease. I lost my mare to it two months ago.