Emergency ulcer question!

GrecianDawn

Visit site
Horse was down with severe colic and made it through, but now his ulcers have reoccured due to all the medication and stress! Gastrogard is ordered but won’t be here until the weekend, so I bought human famotidin. Please help me out with dosage and suggestions! Just want him to make it until Gastrogard arrives! Please and thanks!

GrecianDawn

Visit site
Are you sure he didnt colic because of the ulcers?
I'd ask your vet (or the closest with stock) for some gastrogard.
Yeah, I am sure. He had ulcers previously and was successfully treated and went on well for almost 3 years. This was impaction colic and he got a lot of medication which we normally do not allow to be given to him. But we had no options. I ordered Gastrogard and it will be here soon. But I need to manage him somehow until then. He has great moments during the day, but also bad ones where he is clearly uncomfortable.

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
I don't think I would try a different medication, without your vet's knowledge. If they know and approve, I'm sure they can advise on dosage. I would also think they would have Gastroguard in stock. Could you not pick it up, although, TBH, if a horse recovering from colic was again uncomfortable, I would ask for an emergency visit, and then they could bring it with them.

holeymoley

Visit site
Speak to you vet. Surely they are ones to advise on dosage and certainly whether or not you can give a human medication.