Ems and temperament

HappyHollyDays

Slave to 2 cats and 2 ponies
Visit site
I’ve never found my EMS horse to be any different in temperament especially in a negative way. He is a cheeky chap who loves an audience, doesn’t bite or kick. He has always had an opinion on everything but that’s just his nature and if he lost it I would be seriously worried about him.

MuddyMonster

Visit site
In what way do you mean negative?

I do think most horses feel better for losing weight - which is often a key contributor to EMS - and I've known a few that have perked up considerably when fitter and at a better weight.

Whether that's a positive or a negative is open to rider interpretation :D

MyBoyChe

Visit site
A friend has just had a pony confirmed as EMS, we are now managing him accordingly. He is an 11 year old gelding and I suspect has had #EMS for about 5 years. He has always been difficult, quite spiteful, will bite without reason and has been known to kick as well, hes never been massively overweight but has bouts of lami for the last couple of years. He was diagnosed a couple of weeks ago and is being managed very differently, his temperament seems to have changed for the better which given he is on almost zerp turnout is amazing. I just wondered whether the condition, whilst out of control, could make a pony ill tempered

HappyHollyDays

Slave to 2 cats and 2 ponies
Visit site
That’s really interesting. The only time I have seen a change in temperament is when a horse has come down with laminitis. Our mini becomes very subdued and unhappy prior to an attack which is a good warning sign.

Other than almost no turnout what else has changed in his management?

MuddyMonster

Visit site
I'd be inclined to think there is something else going on, possibly.

If he's had low grade laminitis rumbling on - in between the acute laminitis phases- that can still be painful. That might have been enough to make him seem grumpy if he's trying to communicate his discomfort. If he's feeling better, that might explain the character change.

I'd also look at whether the grass was affecting him? Mine can't cope with too much potassium and has a real personality change when his PH levels from potassium get too high.

The other thing I'd wonder is whether he's shut down - but outwardly just seems nicer. But if he's still got a big personality, that might not be the case at all.

The above might not be relevant at all but just things I've noticed with my own.