Encouraging daughter (10) to hold whip

minesadouble

Visit site
We have just bought a fabulous new pony for my daughter. He's really forward out hacking but in the school....not so much! When we tried him his owner offered my daughter a stick but she didn't want it, she's never used one before.
Last night at home, I gave her a schooling whip - just because it was all that was handy - and she wouldn't carry it as she maintains she 'can't' hold a whip! Obviously a schooling whip is not the easiest thing to carry and I plan to give her a short whip next time but has anyone had the same problem/overcome it?? She seems to have a proper mental block about.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
I know you can get some really pretty sparkly crops and whips and they also do some really small short ones so maybe take her shopping so she can choose a really nice one she likes and it may encourage her to use one then.

be positive

Visit site
She is probably worried about coping and possibly dropping her reins, find a very slim whip or even a twig to start with, show her how to hold it without needing to really grip, many people hold the whip too firmly and get in a muddle allowing the reins to slip, at her age she should be able to carry one but may benefit from trying off the pony first, she also may need to learn that the pony is happy with her carrying one.

A lot of whips have a rather thick hand grip which a small child cannot hold easily, I have a few old fashioned ones that are thinner and easier to hold.

WelshD

Visit site
An 8 year old rides my 11hh pony and actually we have found that a schooling whip is much easier for her than a shorter whip as otherwise she can get in a pickle with trying to use it, the pony also responds better to a tap further back than on the shoulder

We use the HY basic schooling whips which do not have a separate handle

At one point she had one in each hand - unconventional but worked very well!

minesadouble

Visit site
Thanks for those suggestions everyone. BP I did kind of wonder if she was a bit worried about the pony's potential reaction! Her previous pony was somewhat sharp (too sharp for her really) and knocked her confidence a bit. I think it may be a combination of the physical aspect of holding it and maybe a little bit of worry too. I've told her that tomorrow we are literally just going to walk round the arena and just focus on getting used to the feel of it in her hand. Fingers crossed we get there as she definitely needs to learn to hold/use one.

AFB

Visit site
Get a slim handle, some of them are so bulky I struggle to carry one comfortably. Also like the sparkly idea if she's that kind of kid.

If you can rationalise the reason behind why she doesn't want to, explaining to her that it's not there to punish or beat the pony is also worth a try.

Mule

Visit site
I can't hold the bloody things either! It waves about and I inadvertently tap the horse with it. I can manage a short whip and that does the job for me.