End of a a very good era

FinnishLapphund

There's no cow on the ice
Visit site
Thanks all. I miss him terribly, and it’s that ‘missing’ which is the horrible part. He was a great dog, huge character, and one I know I was very lucky to have.

Yet oddly, I don’t find myself as sad about his parting, as I perhaps had anticipated I would be. He simply lived his life and got old, which is a gift really, isn’t it?

A good life and a good end. Or as one of my good friends responded when I text to say he’d passed - ‘life? Completed it mate’.

A picture in his prime, when he really was at his best.

I'm so sorry for your loss.
Grief can be so different. Perhaps with his age, and him being a bit unwell on and off for two months, you had already dealt with the sadness in advance. Either way, he looked like a really handsome gentleman.
{{{{{{Hugs}}}}}}

Annette4

Visit site
So sorry for your loss.

He was the type I grew up with my my parents love. They, like you, will not have another as they don't like how the breed has changed.

I loved the photos of the corgis on his bed, Fizz did the same when we lost Jack.

P3LH

Visit site
So sorry for your loss.

He was the type I grew up with my my parents love. They, like you, will not have another as they don't like how the breed has changed.

I loved the photos of the corgis on his bed, Fizz did the same when we lost Jack.
Don’t get me wrong, there are still old fashioned roughs out there. Albeit few and far between. But it’s not just type, it’s temperament.

In the years passed since obtaining H & Cooper it’s become the norm for breeders say to tell new owners that roughs won’t like shiny floors so you should put rugs down everywhere, or that they don’t like reflective surfaces etc.

I’ve also met more than I haven’t who jump out of their skin over everything and are paranoid about life.

Neither of mine were like that so whilst I know if I waited and looked hard enough I may find one who looks the part, I couldn’t live with that level of neurotic.

And before anyone jumps on me, I know not all are like this but the reality is, IMO - the majority are these days.

P3LH

Visit site
Your words sum it up beautifully. He was such a handsome dog with a kind and gentle nature. He lived life to the fullest and passed peacefully surrounded by his adoring family. A lucky boy indeed ❤️.
I remember telling you all about him when I first bought him home and he looked like this! It seems like five minutes ago.

Attachments

• 356FFC8F-6484-43C5-877A-84BF96E8381A.jpeg
    356FFC8F-6484-43C5-877A-84BF96E8381A.jpeg
    54 KB · Views: 30

P3LH

Visit site
My old setter was put to sleep last Friday, after 16 glorious years.
So very sorry. Every loss is difficult and different but I do think when it comes to one who has been around for so long, you take for granted their presence (in a nice way) throughout all of life’s ups and downs as they’ve simply been around forever. It’s adjusting to that I’m finding most difficult.

Auslander

Visit site
So very sorry. Every loss is difficult and different but I do think when it comes to one who has been around for so long, you take for granted their presence (in a nice way) throughout all of life’s ups and downs as they’ve simply been around forever. It’s adjusting to that I’m finding most difficult.
I feel exactly the same. The toughest thing has been that he was always there with his head on my knee when he knew I was sad about something-and at the moment, I really need that head, and it's not here

Moobli

Visit site
I feel exactly the same. The toughest thing has been that he was always there with his head on my knee when he knew I was sad about something-and at the moment, I really need that head, and it's not here
I’m so sorry for the loss of your beautiful boy too Aus. He seemed such a character. I love Irish setters. May he RIP x

P3LH

Visit site
I don’t have ashes back (a personal choice) and sadly don’t have endless land to bury them.

I bring the collars and lead home, and my loved ones know when I go they are to chuck them in the coffin with me - I’m ambivalent to the concept of what happens when we die and don’t have strong views either way, but on the off chance there is something out there and former dogs are waiting, I won’t forget the crap recall of some so they could come in handy. It’s a nice though at least, eh?

But, I do have portraits commissioned. This came home today. From a photo in his youth, which is how I’m sure I’ll see him in my minds eye even decades on. He was such a noble beast. And now he’s on the shelf next to his sidekick, it is strange that it is nice to see them ‘together’ again.

Attachments

• C9389A3F-2C4A-46E5-A33C-135C774A6864.jpeg
    C9389A3F-2C4A-46E5-A33C-135C774A6864.jpeg
    176.3 KB · Views: 28
  • 69209D0F-7E2D-4DB4-97D6-EDB6CA99F096.jpeg
    69209D0F-7E2D-4DB4-97D6-EDB6CA99F096.jpeg
    379.1 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:

chaps89

Visit site
I didn’t see this when you originally posted. He always sounded like a wonderful dog and as you say, he simply had the best life and the best end (as far as these things go) his portrait is a lovely tribute.

Squeak

Visit site

I lost my wonderful, old dog this week and this has been by far the hardest part. Whenever I was sad it was my dog who would comfort me and yet, this time when you need that comfort the most, they're not there.

There seem to have been quite a few lovely, old dogs that have been lost on here recently.

P3LH

Visit site
I was very sad he didn’t hit his ‘teenth’ birthday when it passed on Remembrance Day earlier this month. He did being an old dog so well.

I found myself looking at roughs again recently. I think I’ve resolved any uncertainty I may have had with myself regarding my favourite breed. I won’t have another, the type and temperament isn’t what I recognise. I admire a breeders outcross program but what I love about the breed ever so much is their laid back and horse/cat like qualities. I really do miss having one around the place.

Have muted about another dog, next year perhaps. But I have two relatively young dogs and always worry then you set yourself up for losing them in close succession if you’re lucky enough for old age to greet them like a friend.

I’ve thought perhaps a sighthound of some description for when the time is right, there is a stark similarity with their temperament and outlook and that of a traditional rough. I thought about this after losing my other rough collie in 2021, but then went for another corgi. We shall see.

I know I am fortunate to still have two dogs, and young ones with lives hopefully ahead of them - but as I reflect I realise how different my bond is with them versus both the roughs. And it’s always different, but perhaps I miss that kind of human canine relationship in addition to both my chaps, or as they were fondly known by everyone - the noble steeds.

Dogs eh.

Last edited:

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
I was very sad he didn’t hit his ‘teenth’ birthday when it passed on Remembrance Day earlier this month. He did being an old dog so well.

I found myself looking at roughs again recently. I think I’ve resolved any uncertainty I may have had with myself regarding my favourite breed. I won’t have another, the type and temperament isn’t what I recognise. I admire a breeders outcross program but what I love about the breed ever so much is their laid back and horse/cat like qualities. I really do miss having one around the place.

Have muted about another dog, next year perhaps. But I have two relatively young dogs and always worry then you set yourself up for losing them in close succession if you’re lucky enough for old age to greet them like a friend.

I’ve thought perhaps a sighthound of some description for when the time is right, there is a stark similarity with their temperament and outlook and that of a traditional rough. I thought about this after losing my other rough collie in 2021, but then went for another corgi. We shall see.

I know I am fortunate to still have two dogs, and young ones with lives hopefully ahead of them - but as I reflect I realise how different my bond is with them versus both the roughs. And it’s always different, but perhaps I miss that kind of human canine relationship in addition to both my chaps, or as they were fondly known by everyone - the noble steeds.

Dogs eh.
The trouble is with having 2 young dogs is that you’re possibly going to lose both within a short space of time when they age, although I haven’t had that as one of each pair I’ve had has unfortunately had cancer, so we’ve been left with a lone dog twice. That’s why you need another!

P3LH

Visit site
The trouble is with having 2 young dogs is that you’re possibly going to lose both within a short space of time when they age, although I haven’t had that as one of each pair I’ve had has unfortunately had cancer, so we’ve been left with a lone dog twice. That’s why you need another!
That’s rationale I like.