Endocarditus...have anyone suffter with this??

Bojangles

Visit site
My oh is in John Radclif hositpal fighting this infection. It's a lot more serous then I thought it was. He will have to have both valves replaced it look's like it will be sooner then we thought. The consation person explanied it I think the fact that I didnt think it was this bad so in a bit of shock so didnt really take it all in. From what I rember what he said there's a large mass of infection on his valve and also on the strings/cords to the flaps of the valve??? Its looking like he will have the op sooner than later maybe next week?? He said going to carry on with very strong antibods to streill the infection area for seveal day's before op on him. Only we orther day it was discussed that he would be on a long course of antibods 6 week's to get rid of the infection and now we are told it could be next week so Im a bit worried as you can imaged!!!!!

Atleast we now know how he got the infection from a tooth abscess which he didnt feel any pain!!!!! Maybe the fact that he been on very strong painkillers due to a damage knee then he strainned his wrist very badly would of coved it up????

So if anyone's had this please help without scraey me more as I know it's very rare infection to get and outcome isnt always great!!!! How long recover period etc and also what other diesae 's sp?? would you need to watch out for whist recovery ie MRSA-

Rest etc.

devilinajar

Visit site
Sorry cant help you with info but just wanted to send my wished to you both, and i hope all goes as planned with the op next week!!!

Cedars

Visit site
Hi, I'm not the person you want to hear from as my nan died from complications of this surgery - but she was 83!!

The surgeon at the time said the odds for surgery are really really good, its almost always successful so dont worry. Be really on top of handwashing with visitors etc but he'll be fine. Good luck xxxx

ScarlettLady

Visit site
eeek lots of strong iv antibiotics am afraid which will probably knock him alot.
And because of these antibiotics yes u have to be wary of mrsa and c.diff and other superbugs. taking yakult is good as it replaces healthy gut flora :D
fingers crossed for ur OH!!!!
I've only seen 1 case and pt recovered well! so 100% survival from me! (elderly patient too...)
*hugs* :)

jodie3

Visit site
Hospital should give you a booklet about MRSA - always insist all staff members have washed hands properly before doing anything to patient! Don't let visitors sit on bed is another one.

Don't know anything about illness but wanted to send good wishes to your OH and hope all goes well.

ScarlettLady

Visit site
Hospital should give you a booklet about MRSA - always insist all staff members have washed hands properly before doing anything to patient! Don't let visitors sit on bed is another one.

Yep at our hospital we encourage patients to ask and question staff whether they have washed their hands! better to be safe than sorry!!!! please ask :)

Bojangles

Visit site
Thank you for this. I have asked him to be aware of side affecks with the anitbods and tell the nurse asap which he has!! As I have experince of strong antibods myself due to a bad acciednt which leftd me in John Radclft for 6 weeks yuk for the side affects!!! O he wont drink yukoo drinkes as he call's them sick drinksa as that what it taste like!!!

I wash hands and use that hand stuff too before seeing him leaving etc. With the MRSA is can it be passed on from a carrier???

ScarlettLady

Visit site
Thank you for this. I have asked him to be aware of side affecks with the anitbods and tell the nurse asap which he has!! As I have experince of strong antibods myself due to a bad acciednt which leftd me in John Radclft for 6 weeks yuk for the side affects!!! O he wont drink yukoo drinkes as he call's them sick drinksa as that what it taste like!!!

I wash hands and use that hand stuff too before seeing him leaving etc. With the MRSA is can it be passed on from a carrier???

MRSA is part of many peoples natural skin flora, so ppl may be carriers around you... only when it gets into wounds and blood it really causes problems!
try prebiotic or probiotic yoghurt?!
:D

Bojangles

Visit site
MRSA is part of many peoples natural skin flora, so ppl may be carriers around you... only when it gets into wounds and blood it really causes problems!
try prebiotic or probiotic yoghurt?!
:D

So would it be ok for him to be around someone who is a carrier???? Its the recovery place that I need to be sure it's ok for him to be at?? He is very fussy over food might try it with a dopper of choclate speard!!!!

blitznbobs

Visit site
I'm a GP so if you have any questions then PM me and I'll try and give you straight forward answers...

Blitz

Re MRSA -- He's got more serious things to worry about than MRSA... about 20 percent of people are carriers in the community... yes get people to wash their hands but don't stress about it.

ScarlettLady

Visit site
will depend where the mrsa is and what contact the carrier will have....
am afraid uk hospitals differ to my little island, so not sure what infection control policy will be... we will isolate someone in a side room with high risk of infection, which you oh would fall into in our hospital... sorry not much help :eek: