Endoscope for strangles

Harryellis

New User
Visit site
Hello,

My horse is having a scope done on Thursday, we have had Strangles at my current yard and i am looking to move to another. The new Yard Owner whats a scope done to ensure my horse is clear.

Has anyone elses horse had this done? Will i know there and then if clear? what happens if he is a carrier. I am so worried about all the possibilities.

If you can share experiences and knowledge, would a blood test be better as not so intrusive.

Thanks

cm2581

Visit site
If your horse has a gutteral(sp?) pouch wash taken (by endoscope) the sample will be sent for PCR testing and you will have a definitive answer of yes or no for the strangles causing bacteria within a few says. If it is positive, this indicates that your horse is a carrier, or currently has strangles. In this case, the gutteral pouches are treated with antibiotics (I think it's is called crystapen, there may be others) and would then be re-scoped (can't remember the time delay) and the test repeated. Most cases, this would sort the problem if the horse was a carrier, sometimes the treatment has to be repeated. I would ask the vet to treat the horse whilst they are in there with the scope anyway just in case (most vets will do this as a matter of course). If the horse is positive and it is just beginning the infection, you will have to let the illness run its course and then start again with the above scoping/treating etc.

If the gutteral pouch was is negative, you are fine to move.

The blood test is only to test for the presence of antibodies and your horse will almost definitely be positive as he has been at a yard with the illness. This only indicates that he has been exposed to the bacteria and not necessarily that he has had or does have strangles. If you get a negative antibody test, the horse could still be infected with the bacteria as it can take around 2 weeks for antibodies to show in the blood. If the blood test is positive in a clinically healthy horse, you then have to start the above scoping procedure to determine if he is infected or just been exposed to it.

Hope that helps! One of my horses wasn't even sedated for the scope (she was an unusual old bird tho!!).