Energy for a veteran barefooter?

Roasted Chestnuts

Visit site
Hi there looking for experience or ideas please.

My 24 yr old barefoot Welsh D x Appy is lacking energy at present. He is on a fibre and oil diet due to being barefoot and also because he is cereal intolerant so his diet has to stay below 12% starch.

His field is not particularly lush in grazing due to being grazed all winter and the fact that the weather here has not been great, not a good British summertime at all!!

He is currently fed

Round scoop of just grass
Correct measure of topspec balancer
Round scoop of beetpulp
150g of linseed meal
45g of turmeric/MSM/Glucosamine/cinnamon joint mixture
30g of chasteberry

He was normal levels when last bloodtested. He is fairly fit but lacking muscle as all I've been able to do is hack, it is very hilly where we are but with the ground being so wet I haven't been able to school as all we have is a flat field. He does have arthritis behind which can make him very left rein stiff but after a few weeks of schooling in walk and trot this eases off as he uses himself, however the few schooling sessions we have had are really lacking in energy hence me looking for something different.

I am tempted to going back to his winter regime of feeding but I feel once the grass comes through this will be too much for his waistline and his feet could suffer, I feed a fairly high calorie diet for him in winter, hence why I switch to balancer in the summer to make sure that she's getting what he needs out of smaller feeds.

Winter is two/three feeds of

Dry cup of Veteran vitality soaked
Dry cup of Equerry cool condition mash soaked
1/2 Round scoop of Spillers senior fibre
Beetpulp
300g of Linseed meal and the same of the other supplements.

He had plenty of hacking energy on this, never tried schooling however with the ground being wet. I have had power and performance mentioned to me, to replace the beetpulp, as at the level I would feed potentially (50% recommended) it wouldn't have the full starch content as on the bag (20%) but I'm worried it could trigger his intolerance or go back to the Spillers fibre instead of just grass and cool condition mash instead of beetpulp.

It's a minefield!!

This is how he looks at present

image.jpg17_zpsvwsu8jpj.jpg
image.jpg18_zpsywykejey.jpg

image.jpg8_zpssqc25hul.jpg

Any idea welcome as I'm currently running out of them :(

FfionWinnie

Visit site
Have you considered coolstance copra. It's what I feed my mare on who can't eat most things. Actually I think I've just remembered you are allergic to coconut is that why you can't use it. I get the award for being the saddest saddo if I am right!

Roasted Chestnuts

Visit site
Have you considered coolstance copra. It's what I feed my mare on who can't eat most things. Actually I think I've just remembered you are allergic to coconut is that why you can't use it. I get the award for being the saddest saddo if I am right!

Yes I am lol I have been tempted to try it as the YO feeds it but I'd need to glove up then scrub my hands after making up feeds as fine if it just gets on my hands but if I rub my eyes or mouth etc then il look like a big red marshmallow face in not time lol

It's fine there are so many ppl on here it's hard to remember :D

FfionWinnie

Visit site
Yes I am lol I have been tempted to try it as the YO feeds it but I'd need to glove up then scrub my hands after making up feeds as fine if it just gets on my hands but if I rub my eyes or mouth etc then il look like a big red marshmallow face in not time lol

It's fine there are so many ppl on here it's hard to remember :D

I would get a box of disposable gloves and a long handled scoop and give it a try. My mare is in really hard work and gets a kg of that a day and she loves it. She's looking really well on it, she also gets speedi beet, Alfa pellets, black oil sunflower seeds and micronised linseed (she has PSSM) but the copra makes up the majority of the diet.

BigPony

Visit site
I would consider grass nuts, years and years of trying everything for my veteran and he always looked his best on these. Simple systems red bag are supposed to be higher energy but I never needed more than the blue.

Darkwater

Visit site
I would consider grass nuts, years and years of trying everything for my veteran and he always looked his best on these. Simple systems red bag are supposed to be higher energy but I never needed more than the blue.

I was going to suggest grass nuts as well. I was feeding my old mare the blue bag grass nuts until our grass started coming through properly, its really easy to tailor the amount you feed through the year to how your grazing is looking