energy wanted!

vicksey

Visit site
I tried oats with my cob who is a goiod doer but it just put weight on him and I could never actually feed the recommended amount so never saw any benefit. I use red cell now with the most amazing effects, my horse is completely different, motivated, willing and doesn't tire easily and a pleaseure to ride. I think propell plus is very similar but Ive not tried it.

royal

Visit site
Vickey - I've tried propell plus, which sent my mare off her rocker - is redcell the same thing?? I'm in the same position as OP, but don't want a fruitloop on my hands again!

ps. sorry to hijack!

teddyt

Visit site
Could anyone recommend me a feed or suppliment that will give my good doer cob more energy but not gain weight?

There is no such thing!

Any extra energy fed to the horse that isnt used up through exercise and day to day living will end up as fat. Different feeds will release energy at different speeds following digestion but energy is energy- there is no such thing as an energy for oomph but not for weight gain.

Heavier breeds just arent genetically designed to go fast or have energy for quick bursts of power, such as for jumping. And if a horse isnt genetically able to do something nothing in the world will make it happen. You just have to make the best of what youve got, that is to make sure the horse isnt overweight, ensure fitness matches what you are asking the horse to do and likewise ability must match demands placed on the horse. Any hinderances, such as innappropriate diet or the balance and ability of the rider must also be considered.

If your horse is overweight now then you certainly shouldnt start feeding more energy, as the horse will just get fatter. if your horse is ok weight wise then you can introduce more energy in the diet as long as you use it up by exercise. What energy you feed and when depends on what you need more energy for- stamina or speed, as they involve different energy pathways and therefore different types of feed.

Supplements will only make a difference if the lack of energy is due to a deficiency that the supplement addresses.

sally2

Visit site
Its a cob it wont need hard food for energy it will get plenty from grass, You can give them hard feed for a short time if they have come through the winter a bit scabby. Cobs are not known for great speed or oomph they are brilliant for working all day at a steady pace. Keep the weight down and and regular exercise and you will have a happy fun horse.

AlicePalace

New User
Visit site
okay, so i have a extremely laid back welshyy, and as lovely is he is, i get fed up of kicking my way round a school, he doesnt need spurs or anything, so at the moment hes on hifi lite, pony nuts and Spillers instant response mix, with a vits and mins supplement and it seems to do the job.
but ive spoken to spillers, dengie and allen and page recently and they say i need to feed more, so they recommended that i go onto a chaff with vits and mins in it, feed the instant response, and i was recommended to go on to baileys local, which would keep the weight at bay, and provide him with all that he needs, so his next diet is half a scoop of happy hoof, half a scoop of instant response and a mug of LoCal, with his glucasmine supplement.
Also is your horse getting the required vitamins and minerals? this could be playing a part in the lethargy of your horse.
but it does depend how much energy your horse needs, how much grass/hay they are getting etc.
my advice is to contact the feed companies , they are very helpful and send you interesting info, i found allen and page most helpful :)

sorry for rambling, hope it helped :) Good luck :)

AngieandBen

Visit site
I have a very laid back cob too; BUT all he is fed is half a scoop of soaked Fast Fibre and some Equibites.

I don't see the ponit in feeding a balancer and chaff and a mix?
If you are having to kick your way around the school he is probably switched off!

In my experience ( which isn't much lol) horses don't respond to nagging with the legs, so I gently put my legs on Ben when he slows down, if he doesn't respond straight away he either gets a great big kick or a short sharp smack with a schooling whip then left alone!

Fitness really does help too, the fitter Ben is the more responsive he is.

Although I did have a cob which I fed Instant Response too and it did work very well, but he was super fit and burned off the extra calories

AlicePalace

New User
Visit site
he gets fed two little feeds, but the balancer is so we can take him off the vitamins and minerals supplement, as hes currently on three supplements a day.
so from speaking to the feed companies, and discussing it with my mum he is going on a different diet, might be a while before we change though! a bag of hifi lasts about 6 months !

He gets a variety of work , like trips out and hacking etc, but from moving yards, i no longer ride in spurs ( which used to be needed all the time) and am just using my legs and stick, but hes learning to listen to quieter,more subtle leg aids, and if it doesnt work , he gets a tap with the whip, but hes learnt to attempt to buck when he gets tapped if hes working, which tells me hes trying his best, blesss him :)

im kind of coming round to the fact thats just how he is, after 5 years of owning him ! just would prefer he had a better work ethic, he gets everything he needs.

As i said before ,the feed companies are very helpful, and they do have great knowledge :)

vicksey

Visit site
Every horse is different so Im not saying red cell would work for every horse, but the oates just did nothing for my boy. My cob was lathargic and basically didn't want to do anything. 6 weeks of being on red cell hi fi good doer and alfa beet has drastically changed him. He is a pleasure to be around and ride, one of the most worked horses on my yard and full of energy in the school and hacking. Red cell can have a rocket fuel effect so if propell plus made your horse a lil highly strung, red cell would probably have the same effect.