engine size and bhp on towing vehicles....can anyone help?

mole

Visit site
im looking at getting a 4x4 to tow with and i know there has been a few posts re 4x4's and towing on here recently but i wanted to know one thing........ if the engine is 2.2 diesel and has 113bhp (newer style engine) and a 2.8 diesel has 113bhp (old style engine) same 4x4 body. would they both have the same towing power?
confused.gif

leemark

Visit site
It's not just BHP you need. The most important figure for towing is Torque (pulling power or the ability to maintain engine speed under load).

TBH 120BHP is too little in any case. You want to be looking at a diesel with about 140BHP - the torque figure in this range should be more than enough.

leemark

Visit site
If it's a 2.2 with 113 BHP then it has 113BHP whether it has a turbo or not.

The BHP in any case is pretty irrelevant - it is the torque that is important. But I can say that with only 113BHP from 2.2 litres the torque figure is going to be less than impressive.

VW 2 litre diesels are mostly 140 bhp these days and even up to 170. The Nissan Navara 2.5 has 170BHP and 400NM of torque.

leemark

Visit site
Re: Fronteras. The engines are totally gutless, the chassis is lousy and they are not the most reliable vehicle in the world. The tend to rock and roll a lot as well.

leemark

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I tow a 510 with a passatt estate no probs I rang VW and asked they said it won what car best towing or something!

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep, VW TDI engines are impressive.

leemark

Visit site
If you need a 4WD and the vintage of vehicle that I think you are looking at you would be better off if you could find a tidy Discovery with the 2.5 300 TDI engine. There is the odd one about.