English Springer Spaniel

Khdigs

New User
Visit site
I just got a springer spaniel. 8 weeks old and I have had a week so she is 9 weeks now. She weights 2.5 pounds. Had her at the vet and she is healthy but vet says that she is very small for her breed. Did I get dooped?

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
how big was mum, that should give you an idea about what she will be when fully grown. she does sound like she is very small. was she smaller than the other puppies? my very tiny terrier was .75kg at 10 weeks which is 1.65lbs and she only weighs 5.5kg, 12 lbs fully grown.... new puppy equals pictures on here pretty please:):) we love puppy pics, what have you called her?

Nicnac

Visit site
2.5lbs?? Are you sure - that's absolutely tiny?

2.5kgs is small - mine who is now 3 month old was 5kgs at 2 months (dog not bitch) and he's working so smaller than show types.

Last edited:

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
you should have seen my terrier who was the runt of the litter, she was 0.75kg and after 2 weeks with me had got to the huge weight of 1.25kg....i did think i had made a huge mistake but i think she must have got pushed out from the food as there were 4 puppies all bigger than her and she was skinny. heart ruled head on this one but she has turned out fine..

gallopingby

Visit site
Springers vary in size and weight enormously. The working type are much smaller than the show ones. As long as she’s healthy l wouldn’t worry too much. Hopefully she came from an established breeder and you were able to meet mum and dad? If not she could have come from anywhere and may or may not be a springer. A proper diet with 4 small meals a day and puppy milk for a couple of months will help. You don’t want to feed too much but is she’s not from a reputable breeder she may not have been fed correctly.

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
That is very small. Saying that, bitches tend to be smaller than dogs. Did you meet the dam/littermates? My dog is twice the size and weight of my brother in law’s dog, same breed, massively different in temperament and size,

maisie06

Visit site
I had the biggest springer in the litter he was 4kg at 8 weeks, his sister was 2.5kg, she's small now at 2 years but not tiny and is a cracking little dog and weighs about 15kg, my boy evened out and is a big lad but not heavy like a show type, more whippet like as he's trial bred and is about 20kg now.