English to western....

0310Star

Visit site
Very random, possibly stupid question...
I have been trying to get my mum to rise for years, after watching Jennifer Saunders this evening she mention that she did infact used to ride in her teens but she used to ride western! She said she would quite like to get back into it but that she would probably prefer to do it western.
I am currently on the look out for a new horse for a bit of competing as my mare is having to be a happy hack from now on (ring bone) she is sound and I would think she would like nothing more than a plod out a few times a week!
So I got thinking.... How about the option of mum giving my mare a go and if she likes it maybe get her a western saddle so she can take her for a little plod when she fancies!
Now my question is.... Is it an easy transition to go from an English saddle to a western for the horse? Can't say I have EVER tried western, nor do I know anything about it!
So any helpful tips would be much appreciated :)

burtie

Visit site
My horse competes at dressage and then will happily hack out on the buckle in his western saddle the next day. The first time he wore a western it took about 1/2 a circle of trot and a few strides of canter before he was completely used to it. (Didn't do anything just was a bit timid to start with!)

It is quite possible to rise in a western too, even a lot of pure western riders use rising trot as it is a good exercise for the horse, just takes a moment to get used to the balance of the saddle as it is a little different from English.

COBSFOREVER

Visit site
HI THERE MY DAD USED TO RIDE WESTERN ON HIS TB HE HAD ONLY EVER BEEN RIDDEN ENGLISH BUT DIDNT BAT AN EYELID WHEN HE PUT THE SADDLE ON SOMETIMES THEY ARE MORE COMFY FOR THE HORSE AND THE RIDER . WE ALSO TRIED THE SADDLE ON MY HEAVY WEIGHT COB AT THE TIME AND SHE JUST RODE AS IF IN AN ENGLISH SADDLE NO PROBS .
MY DAD IS IN HIS 60S AND HAS LEARNT TO RIDE WESTERN ON HIS QUARTER HORSE AND LOVES IT WOULD NEVER GO BACK TO ENGLISH SADDLE SAYS WESTERN FEELS MORE COMFORTABLE AND SAFER ... HE DIDNT START RIDING WESTERN SADDLE TILL HE WAS 66YRS SO DEFO LET YOUR MUM HAVE A GO IT SOUNDS PERFECT FOR YOUR HORSE GOOD LUCK TO YOUR MUM.

popeyesno1fan

Visit site
As long as the saddle fits the horse won't mind if its English or western. Western saddles are heavier though and they are not one size fits all, thats a myth.

I bought a western saddle a few years ago, thinking i'd use it. sold it a couple of mths ago, never having ridden in it. however, i did try it on a few of the horses, it was sold as cob size, but was more suited to a 16hh horse, they are sized funny!!

Sugar_and_Spice

Visit site
They don't come in pony, cob and full size! This myth annoys me so much. Not your fault popeye. Western saddles come in different lengths, widths and styles, the same way as English saddles do.

I don't know a lot about sizing except that I think a 15" seat is equivalent to a 17" English saddle. Bars are: semi quarter horse (med fit?), quarter horse (wide fit?) and full quarter horse (extra wide fit?), I think, but measurement can vary a little between brands so of limited use. The saddles are designed to fit with a thick felt pad underneath.

If it bridges (touches horse front and back but not in the middle) then it doesn't fit. Even if right size it could still bridge due to being wrong shape of tree, same as English saddles.

nikicb

www.facebook.com
A slight aside to this, but..... how much would a (properly fitted, but cheapish quality) western saddle cost for a 13.2 pony? We regularly holiday in Montana and one of our ponies is built very much like a lot of the ponies there. My youngest son would currently find him too forward going, but with the extra stability of a western saddle would probably be ok - pony isn't nasty at all, just whizzy. Just a thought really. Thanks. :)

Sugar_and_Spice

Visit site
I have no idea of anyone who fits them professionally in the UK. Maybe contact the western horse society? A cheap saddle is about 150 - 400 pounds.

If you go to US you could try to find somewhere there that fits them, take plenty of photos of your pony from all angles and a metal coat hanger moulded to the wither shape (width) and try to find a decent saddle there to bring back.

Or you could ask a decent western saddlery shop if they can help, I knew people did that but can't remember the shop. Again it probably means buying a decent saddle. You can't get a saddler out like you can for English saddles, as far as I know. Maybe you could take the pony somewhere to try some on, if the shop has a car park you can ride in? Decent saddles are about 1000 pounds though, a second hand one 300 - 500+ pounds.

I don't know what else to suggest. Apart from trial and error with cheap saddles, but you risk not realising if you've got it wrong and damaging the ponys back. There is fitting advice online if you Google it.

nikicb

www.facebook.com
I have no idea of anyone who fits them professionally in the UK. Maybe contact the western horse society? A cheap saddle is about 150 - 400 pounds.

If you go to US you could try to find somewhere there that fits them, take plenty of photos of your pony from all angles and a metal coat hanger moulded to the wither shape (width) and try to find a decent saddle there to bring back.

Or you could ask a decent western saddlery shop if they can help, I knew people did that but can't remember the shop. Again it probably means buying a decent saddle. You can't get a saddler out like you can for English saddles, as far as I know. Maybe you could take the pony somewhere to try some on, if the shop has a car park you can ride in? Decent saddles are about 1000 pounds though, a second hand one 300 - 500+ pounds.

I don't know what else to suggest. Apart from trial and error with cheap saddles, but you risk not realising if you've got it wrong and damaging the ponys back. There is fitting advice online if you Google it.

Thanks - that's really helpful. I would be wary of not having it fitted, but will try the Western Horse Society for advice. I see how well he sits on the Western saddles at the ranch and other than the fact I think they would aesthetically suit the pony I think it would be more secure for him. Something to think about certainly. :)

Alphamare

Visit site
Since you are basically planning on riding English in a western saddle there isn't much for your horse to get used too! People do this all the time. I hack my endurance horse in a stock saddle

0310Star

Visit site
I did wonder if it is something that they find hard to get used to and it is great that most take to it so well! My mare is very laid back so I would think she wouldn't mind much about it, although she is VERY hard to fit an English saddle to which would be my only concern.... She is a typical 16.3tb (razor blade for a whither) with a flat back which is a slightly roach backed a bit further back.... I think I will get onto the western society and see what they suggest :)

Tinypony

Visit site
Could you just clarify please? Does your mum want to ride as you do but using a western saddle? Or does she want to ride western as in using neck reining, casual rein etc? If it's just a matter of what she sits on then if it's properly fitted it shouldn't be a problem. If she wants to use western riding cues then it should also be possible, but your horse might need a bit of training. A lot of horses can be ridden both ways though with no problem, they just need a bit of preparation.

0310Star

Visit site
Tinypony.... My mum has only ever ridden western in her teens! She has never even sat on an English saddle and unfortunately over the years has gained some serious confidence issues!
She wants to give it a go (my mare is an angel bless her :) ) but because she has only ever ridden western, if she gives it a go to try and regain her confidence western is just her preference!

Tinypony

Visit site
The saddle is just a seat to sit on, so if you can get one that fits nicely hopefully that will help your mum to feel happy on board. The problem is, it could be an expensive experiment because decent western saddles don't come cheap.
Riding western style is something completely different because she'd maybe be used to holding the reins in one hand, keeping them "casual" until she wanted to turn, stop etc, and she might be used to neck reining. However, if your horse is an angel then I'd be inclined to get the saddle on, put your mum on board and see how they get on. English trained angel horses can sometimes just pick up on a more western style of riding with no problem at all!
Good luck to your mum. :)

blackislegirl

Visit site
English trained angel horses can sometimes just pick up on a more western style of riding with no problem at all!

..and some,not! Years ago I remember an American friend who'd ridden a bit in the USA asking if she could ride my old mare. So she mounted, commented on how weird the English saddle felt, then.....nothing. The pair of them just stood there. Then I remembered the little I know about Western-schooled horses and had to tell her that unless she picked up and held a rein contact, they'd be going nowhere at all! (The mare thought this was all great fun, btw. Why walk on when you have a rider on your back giving you permission to stand still and go to sleep!)

Superhot

Visit site
There are many good Western tack suppliers in the UK, and indeed, many riding schools offering Western lessons these days. I have a Quarter Horse and proudly brought a beautiful leather saddle for her when I visited Montana. Only problem being, it was very very heavy to lift!!!! In the end, I bought a great synthetic saddle (CircleY) bought here in the UK, and it was perfect. There is no reason why your horse shouldn't react appropriately after training, to both neck reigning etc and the English aids. You have one lucky mum!

Hen

Visit site
Putting a different saddle on a horse isn't going to make it anything - if I were to put a close contact saddle on my Quarter Horse she wouldn't know how to be a jumper. She'd just feel me sitting into her a little more and more acutely. How she would react would depend on whether the cues I used were ones she recognised... A Western saddle will place the rider slightly above and around the horse, rather than sitting more into the horse's back, so simply putting on a Western saddle per se should be fine.
If you are just after tack, aside from Ebay you could look at some of the Western suppliers over here - Hooves Western, Pullman Western Store UK, Oakridge Quarter Horses, The Western Shop (Westernscene), Denes Country Store, there are quite a few more also I think. Western Horse UK is a national magazine with a website which also lists second hand tack in its classifieds listing which may well be worth a look.
If your mum is a Western rider, your horse may need to catch up! The cues and ways of riding are slightly different so if you need help there is the English to Western conversion clinic at Oakridge near Newark this autumn which may well be worth looking at, and lists of instructors on www.wes-uk.com and on www.britishreining.co.uk . Have fun.

lizijj

Visit site
My friend who is a rancher in the USA came over and rode my horses - her only comment was how comfy the English saddle was! Yes, she rode on a long rein but had perfect control (this is a young lady who rodeos!) and when I go over there, yes, I use more contact than they do, but it's not a problem. Most of the riders over there always rise in a purposeful jog (trot). Good luck, one cowboy told me, it doesn't matter what nationality the tack or rider is, as long as the horse understands what to do - very true!