enlarged ethmoid?

Skhosu

Well-Known Member
Joined
12 May 2006
Messages
8,193
Visit site
anyone ever heard of this? My boy was scoped recently (twice) and the 2nd time it was discovered one of his ethmoids was enlarged and this was probably causing his runny nose.
Never head of this before.
 

fairyclare

Well-Known Member
Joined
12 August 2006
Messages
1,463
Location
wish I was in the USA....
Visit site
Have heard of it and seen it in books, my mare is has the opposite, her right ethmoid is completly deflated causing her to head shake badly.
Sorry thats of no help whatsoever but was intersted to read your post as i've serched through loads of vet books and web sites looking for any kind of info on her condition, unfortunatly even the vet had never seen it before (neither had any other of the vets at Liphook!!)
Hope youy boy is ok, is it treatable?
 

Skhosu

Well-Known Member
Joined
12 May 2006
Messages
8,193
Visit site
I don't know!
For now he just has to be scoped every 6 months (I say just.. it takes 4+ people swinging off his lead rope to inject him..) and i'm betting his insurance will exclude it after a year and he will need an op!
The vet hasn't mentioned any of this, but I reckon it probably makes him pretty much unsellable.
No antibiotics or anything, he just has a runny nose, so I don't know if that's going to get better, hopefully as he's an eventer (although it hasn't hurt him yet!)
What about yours?
 

fairyclare

Well-Known Member
Joined
12 August 2006
Messages
1,463
Location
wish I was in the USA....
Visit site
She is definatly unsellable.
The vet could only suggest i try and restrict the flow of air to her right nostril (the air she was breathing in was rushing past the faulty ethmoid and making the smell receptors hypersensitive) the vet likened it to us breathing in salt water and stinging our noses poor little girl!!
There was nothing they could do, did think about sending her up to liverpool to see if there was anything they could do but decided against it.
I had been riding her in a nose net as i thought her headshaking was an allergy to pollon or something similar, i have now done some sewing and put a patch over her right nostril inside the nose net (vet wasv.impressed!) it has improved it by about 90% i think the other 10% is habit!!
I just have to be careful doing any fast work or when it is hot and humid because of the ristricted air in take.
Scoping can get expensive, not to mention trips to the vets and paying for thir time.
Ins company will exclude it when your policy is up for renewal, the swines!!
Has the vet told you about any op's they can do?
 

Skhosu

Well-Known Member
Joined
12 May 2006
Messages
8,193
Visit site
nope, says its probably benign. I wasn't thre unfortunately so didn't get to ask all the questions I wanted.
Just don't look up ethmoid haematomas!!
 

fairyclare

Well-Known Member
Joined
12 August 2006
Messages
1,463
Location
wish I was in the USA....
Visit site
I've already done that!!!
Have spent hours and hours serching for anything to do with ethmoids, including haematomas!!
Good luck with your boy, pls keep me posted about any developments, as you can probably tell i'm very intrested in this subjct, to the point of being obsesed(sp?)
smile.gif
 
Top