Visit site
30715336_10215951976253115_2986554907240312121_n.jpg

taken today

taken the day we got her

19396845_10213287978254830_1725712479267721930_n.jpg

Last edited:

be positive

Visit site
She looks like a pony now, a sausage on legs springs to mind for her when you got her, how she escaped laminitis I have no idea, lucky pony.

windand rain

Visit site
What about the cob
30704207_10215951977013134_1005963430672987018_n.jpg

She was humungous thought she was going to founder when she arrived
they are on restricted grazing getting ready to go onto the summer track but friends poorly one is on there until she goes back to the vet soon. then I will give it a day or two and let them through

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
Photographs generally don't show underweight very well (I have photos of emaciated horses that don't look all that bad in the pictures, when in real life they were close to collapse), but even taking that into account I'd say they look about right for ponies about to face into a summer's grass overload.

Sussexbythesea

Visit site
She doesn’t look thin but to me she looks a bit tucked up in that photo.

Well done got getting the weight off though - the original photo OMG!

Visit site
You can never strip too much off before summer. Natives are designed to gain weight in summer (though not to the extent the dun was when you got them!) and lose it in winter.

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
You can never strip too much off before summer. Natives are designed to gain weight in summer (though not to the extent the dun was when you got them!) and lose it in winter.

yep, this. wish I'd got that much off my Exmoor this winter-well done! I'd not be worried at all, grass is about to take off any minute.

Highflinger

Visit site
I think they both look ideal for end of winter. I always let my natives get lean by end of winter to give a bit of expansion room in summer. If they go in to spring fat they are doomed to starvation paddocks all summer. I would much rather they have a little weight to gain in spring so they can enjoy moderate grazing throughout the summer months. As nature intended!

SEL

Visit site
Given the grass is coming through I think going into spring slightly lean is a good thing. Last year my draft came out of winter too ribby (Feb) and I was worried there was an underlying problem. By the end of May he was up to full weight & he wasn't even on that great grazing. I think yours will be fine - it feels bad looking at them on the thin side, but it is good for their metabolism

chaps89

Visit site
The dun looks fantastic, well done! I'd maybe want a touch more off the cob given we are coming into spring grass time but it sounds like you have it all under control anyway :) Can i send my fat cob to you now please? She has somehow gained weight over winter despite there being no grass, in a good level of work and living out naked :-/

JJS

Visit site
They look perfect for going into spring. I've also used this winter as an opportunity to get weight off my cob mare, and she looks exactly the same size as yours (she also has almost identical colouring). I'm happy with that, and I think you can be too :)

Cecile

Visit site
:) Can i send my fat cob to you now please? She has somehow gained weight over winter despite there being no grass, in a good level of work and living out naked :-/[/QUOTE]

Oh crickey you beat me to it, I have one who needs to go to this fat camp, can we fight for a space or maybe just send both as there will be less grass to eat with 2 going :)

Pc2003

Visit site
They both look great! Well done!
I have to say tho the picture of the dun when you got her..... wow that is fat!!!! It doesn’t even look like a pony!

windand rain

Visit site
thank you th dun pony is a three year old was that fat at 2 so no not in work the cob has been off most of the winter and the plan is to pony club her. Been a bit scary to be honest was really woried the cob would founder so have been a bit meanwith her they are fed every day soaked grass nuts speedibeet linseed and straw chaff. they can nibble on the grass and have hay scattered around the paddock. Little one came very close to laminitis as had several abcesses once her feet were trimmed (started out like pixie slippers) now feet are balanced and white line is tight. The black pony is acute laminitic last year was the first year he didnt get it a series of errors and interferences have resulted in 4 bouts in his 13 years when we introduced the track. Will see how it goes this summer as the cob is an addition not accounted for so may have to add extra grass in towards the end of summer. The summer feeds stay the same but without the beet and hay. Hate muzzles with a vengeance so fingers crossed it works this year too