Entering competitions before a horse is technically “ready”

coffeeandabagel

Visit site
How competent does you horse need to be before you start entering competitions with it? Talking dressage mainly but also ODE where it will be safe but terribly slow, or a not very pretty SJ round.

The lovely mare I have to play with at the moment is 6 but very very green and rather weedy. We cant successfully maintain our paces in dressage havent even tried canter circles yet and jumping is a bit ugly if she forgets where her legs are. Galloping XC just will not happen and a steady trot with some canters will be the best I am looking for.

I am not worried about her competition record looking poor – and these are all unaffiliated events anyway.

I want to get her out and about so that when she is “ready” physically she is ready mentally since it’s no big deal to be at a competition for her. I hear other people saying “Oh maybe next year I will try when he / she is established.” That’s a waste of time as far as I am concerned.

Views please?

PorkChop

Visit site
There would be no harm in taking her out to do some intro dressage tests, but I wouldn't attempt a test that she is not happily working on at home tbh.

Why not take her to some shows to get her out and about to do some straight showing classes.

By all means take her to the xc to do some low key schooling, but no I would attempt a competition until she was working at the level above that which you wish to enter.

Exposure is great but she would have enough to think about actually going to a "party" and you want it to be easy peasy!

kandm

Visit site
I think just getting her out and about to lessons/group lessons/clinics would be just as beneficial as you're getting her used to being around other horses, and going out in the trailer/lorry however knowing you will hopefully gain a good lesson with it to improve :). My sister and I trainer holds a clinic every month where you go and do a dressage test (of your choice, could be elementary could be walk and trot), so you warm up with other horses, do your test then have about 20mins with our trainer and then go in and have a go at the test again to see if you can improve :). Not only does it help you improve but it also gets horses used to a small competing environment.

applecart14

Visit site
I have spent most of my life hearing people say "the horse isn't ready yet" and for the most part people who say this are often people that don't want to take the horse out as they lack confidence to do so.

I have always competeted as soon as I have had a new horse, sometimes within days. For me its a learning curve and the reason I have a horse. I'd rather just 'go out and do it' than have countless lessons for months and months. I'd rather have the fun whilst I can as with horses you never know what's round the corner.

But everyone is different and there is no hard and fast rule.

Goldenstar

Visit site
I think it varies with the horse .
I am taking one to a small jumping show next week .
He's not ready to SJ well but he's ready for a outing for me assess where are with his mind .
He will start at 65cm and just jump what we think is easy from trot I would think
But I would not be taking him out every other weekend as he is ATM.
Some I would not dream of taking at his stage .

Santa_Claus

www.katiemortimore.com
For the safety of you and your horse you shouldn't be entering a competition at a level (or more!) above that which it is capably working at home. If it is not ready to canter circles yet it is not ready or strong enough to jump a SJ course never mind an XC course.

Kandm's idea is an ideal one. go out to group lessons/clinics (do your RC hold training) so it can work in a strange environment with other horses without the pressure of a competition.

coffeeandabagel

Visit site
We have been to a sj/Xc clinic and she has pottered round a XC course on a schooling day both only 50/ 60cm fences, water, little banks and steps etc. She has been to a Trec comp where she tried hard and was very calm, joined in the riding club jumping session (again tiny fences). We have riding club camp coming up in middle of May and I will be doing a walk trot test then as well. End of May is the Area BRC grassroots horse trials and I was thinking of entering that. In a month and a fair bit of work we should be cantering more strongly. Obvioulsy I am not sure if thats a go-er or i wouldnt be asking you guys!

Last edited:

millitiger

Visit site
Personally I think taking a horse to compete before it is ready is at best going to affect the horse's confidence and at worst, it is so dangerous to be jumping fixed fences xc if the horse is not even strong enough to canter a circle.
you say the jumping is ugly- what if she totally guesses at a fence or leaves a leg xc?

Imo and what I've done with all of my horses is take them schooling at competition venues, clear round when they are ready and progress as fast or slow as they need to stay safe and confident.

Jnhuk

Visit site
I would use low key shows like local RC stuff to get out and about as soon as possible but I wouldn't do affiliated comps until ready. Have done hunter trials, pick a fences etc.... as schooling XC runs as don't see any issue with it but I am very good at putting in prep before. I wouldn't take a horse round a XC without them being schooled over the various types of fences and happy with them in training.

Jnhuk

Visit site
We have been to a sj/Xc clinic and she has pottered round a XC course on a schooling day both only 50/ 60cm fences, water, little banks and steps etc. She has been to a Trec comp where she tried hard and was very calm, joined in the riding club jumping session (again tiny fences). We have riding club camp coming up in middle of May and I will be doing a walk trot test then as well. End of May is the Area BRC grassroots horse trials and I was thinking of entering that. In a month and a fair bit of work we should be cantering more strongly. Obvioulsy I am not sure if thats a go-er or i wouldnt be asking you guys!

I wouldn't go to an area RC horse trials from what you have said as the courses are often BE level so you may get a shock and they are not like local RC stuff. Usually 80cm is the smallest class as well

Santa_Claus

www.katiemortimore.com
None of us know your horse or your capabilities as a rider so only you can answer if it will be ready! :) If in doubt I would speak to your instructor but I would be very wary from a fitness perspective as well of taking it XC after SJ and Dressage. Remember you will have a horse starting 90-120 seconds after you and that is quickly caught up if going slowly so you have to be fair to yourself and other competitors :)

Lolo

Visit site
I think you need to be able to set the horse up to succeed. That doesn't mean succeed in the traditional sense of rosettes and prizes, but for the horse to be able to answer all the questions that are asked of it, even if that does mean taking more than one attempt (as long as you can stay calm and keep asking well) or just not asking some of the questions.

It's very hard to say what a horse is or isn't ready for unless you're sitting on it. But I would err on the side of caution really- much easier to wait another month and it be really positive and lay down strong foundations than go too soon and have to do repair work before you've even started.

coffeeandabagel

Visit site
Lucklit the horse trials are at the same venue as the riding club camp so she will know the venue and have done some of the fixed jumps already as well as haing jumped in the sj arena and schooled in the dressage area. Other wise I wouldnt dream of going. It isnt 80cm or I wouldnt think about it - its Grassroots 60 SJ and 70 XC

Gamebird

Visit site
I wouldn't go to an area RC horse trials from what you have said as the courses are often BE level so you may get a shock and they are not like local RC stuff. Usually 80cm is the smallest class as well

This, plus BRC Areas can only be entered via your RC putting you forward as a team (or occasionally individual) representative. I suspect your RC will likely wish to put someone competent at the level on their team. We have found that even people competing generally at 90cm unaff find the lowest HT class (80cm) quite stiff.

Last edited:

LEC

Opinions are like bum holes, everyone has one.
www.youtube.com
BRC only has two grassroots competitions with that name which are the former Royal Windsor qualifiers - top score and dressage test.

The lowest class run for Riding Club Area Horse Trials is the 80cm which can be entered by teams and individuals.

spookypony

Visit site
If it's getting used to comp atmosphere rather than achievement that you're after, why not try some no-pressure classes, but at a big show or competition? For example, go to a big showing show, and only enter things like "Best Mane and Tail" or "Best Six Legs". Or is there a Hunter Pace near you, where you could enter a pairs class or similar and school round while missing out whatever is currently too much? I don't know if England has similar, but in Scotland, Endurance events often have "Taster" rides of up to 14km, where the mileage can't be counted anyway, and which are very very popular either with non-members just wanting to see what it's like, and with members getting youngsters out and about for the first time. Something like that could be great practice, because the horse would be at a busy venue, learn how to trot up and stand still for a vet while there's a million distractions, and then be out on course with nothing more technical to do than a nice fast hack.

Wheels

Visit site
I personally would not take a horse who cannot yet even canter a 20m circle to a one day event, sounds quite silly to me.

My 5 yo is just learning to canter circles and I'm planning on taking him out to do one dressage test at the end of June.

I agree with whoever said fitness will be an issue.

TGM

Visit site
I wouldn't do a RC Area horse trials as a first XC competition if you are unsure whether the horse is ready. As S_C has already pointed out, if you proceed slowly XC you may impede more competent riders hoping to qualify. Additionally, if the horse starts refusing, then they are unlikely to let you continue if you get eliminated, so you will probably have to leave the course which is not a good lesson for the horse to learn. Better to find some sort of clear round hunter trial or similar, where they will let you continue if you have problems.

Prince33Sp4rkle

Visit site
I think you need to be able to set the horse up to succeed. That doesn't mean succeed in the traditional sense of rosettes and prizes, but for the horse to be able to answer all the questions that are asked of it, even if that does mean taking more than one attempt (as long as you can stay calm and keep asking well) or just not asking some of the questions.

It's very hard to say what a horse is or isn't ready for unless you're sitting on it. But I would err on the side of caution really- much easier to wait another month and it be really positive and lay down strong foundations than go too soon and have to do repair work before you've even started.

this.

I personally would not take a horse who cannot yet even canter a 20m circle to a one day event, sounds quite silly to me.

My 5 yo is just learning to canter circles and I'm planning on taking him out to do one dressage test at the end of June.

I agree with whoever said fitness will be an issue.

and this.

but it sounds like you have made up your mind anyway so.......

im riding a very tall, very green 5yo for someone, shes schooling novice sort of level trotwork and prelim canter.......she's currently doing intro's at shows as no way do i want to scare or rush her. its just not fair.

shortstuff99

Currently Cambridgeshire! (or where ever I fancy)!
Visit site
I know what class you are talking about. Area 7 run a seperate grassroots competition which we run alongside the normal area qualifiers. They do not qualify for the BRC champs, but they count towards a league that area 7 run. They are designed for beginners/novices who are not capable or do not feel confident at having ago at the qualifiers. Restrictions for these classes are quite tough. They are suitable for first timers and will be welcoming. However I would recommend that a horse is capable of completing 3 phases.

TarrSteps

Visit site
Lots of good advice mirroring my general thoughts but one addition. . .it depends a lot on the jockey, too. If you are experienced, both as a competitor and a producer, then you can probably push the margins a bit as you will not do anything the horse has to make up for and you will be able to gauge how the horse is coping and not push past the horse's capability and good will. Stopping when you're on your way to a problem is unlikely to have lasting repercussions. Having a problem might.

For all that people say they will nurse a horse around, it often doesn't work like that on the day.

You also say the horse has been out and been great so why does she need go just to go? Sounds like the supposed benefits don't really outweigh the risks in this case.

coffeeandabagel

Visit site
Thanks for your comments - I have taken them on board. Its an individual entry not a team so I can withdraw (and pay the riding club back my entry fee) if she isnt up to it. We have camp 10 days before there and little pairs hunter trials the week before to try her at.

I will try and find showing classes before then but really dont know where to start since have only ever done one Riding Horse class at a my old livery yar'ds show - picture in my avatar is my horse at the time. (he won it!)

Jo_x

Visit site
I wouldnt even jump a horse that couldnt maintain its paces or canter a circle, setting yourself up for disaster IMO.

redredruby

Visit site
I wouldnt even jump a horse that couldnt maintain its paces or canter a circle, setting yourself up for disaster IMO.

^^This - I completely agree. I understand about introducing a horse to different arenas, atmospheres etc but surely when you are taking it jumping as a learning experience you want to teach it to jump properly, which it won't be able to do if it can't even canter in a circle........unless of course you don't mind how the horse gets over as long as it does but, I fail to see how that would be an educational experience of any value.

coffeeandabagel

Visit site
Good points well made. Yes I agree with you guys, unless we make dramatic improvements between now and then its not really going to benefit her in the long run. Dont want to just get over the fences want to do it safely and correctly. Will give it a miss and let her have more time to get stronger. thanks everyone

redredruby

Visit site
Good points well made. Yes I agree with you guys, unless we make dramatic improvements between now and then its not really going to benefit her in the long run. Dont want to just get over the fences want to do it safely and correctly. Will give it a miss and let her have more time to get stronger. thanks everyone

Good plan! Enjoy her, it sounds like you are going to have lots of fun together.

EstherYoung

Visit site
Spookypony, we do indeed have ickle short pleasure rides south of the border :) I took my youngster to a couple of 8-10 milers last year as an introduction, all very laid back and relaxed. We didn't have canter properly established when we went (we still don't), in fact he did his first proper long canter on the ride.