Epileptic dog - desperate!

Fimbacob

Visit site
My doberman has epilepsy but also has an underactive thyroid. He is on thyforon for his thyroid but on barbiturates for his epilepsy. When he was poorly with the epilepsy, he didn't have any thyforon and didn't have any fits, but he was very doped and not himself. Now he is feeling better he is back on the thyforon and started having fits again. We know the 2 drugs counteract each other and we are trying to space them apart. Just wondering if anyone else has dealt with this and how you coped with dosage, whether you tried any different drugs? Any advice? It's definitely not cushings as we tested that. If we can't get him better we are going to have to put him down as he has no quality of life and he's only 5, I'm absolutely heartbroken. Any ideas gratefully received!

Umbongo

Visit site
Poor you. Unfortunately both of those conditions have very few treatment options.

I have heard of potassium bromide being used in epilepsy but am not sure the reasoning for it, what types of epilepsy it can be used for etc. Is this something you could discuss with your vet? The RVC have done a bit of research in to epilepsy the last couple of years so might be worth a google. Also found that nutrition may be able to help in some epilepsy cases

http://www.rvc.ac.uk/research/resea...reakthrough-to-help-manage-dogs-with-epilepsy

Has your dog had any advanced imaging (MRI, CT) in order to detect if it is a tumour causing his epilepsy or idiopathic?

Fimbacob

Visit site
Thank you for your reply. He's having an MRI scan next week. I will look into the info you have mentioned. Our vet is on the ball. Just hoped for someone who had perhaps had similar for some info. Xx