EPSM playing up again

sqippa

Visit site
Just wondered if anyone else out there whose horse has EPSM or suffers from tying up, has been struggling recently.
My poor boy after seeming to have his EPSM under control for a few years is really having a bad time at the moment. I'm putting it down to the truly foul weather this winter but if anyone has any ideas on how I can give him a boost then please feel free to spill the beans.

Sqip

Nari

Visit site
I'm new to all this, though I'm learning fast.

On my vet's advice I'm limiting turnout. I know being out moving around is meant to help but the grass is coming through like mad & it's very rich this year even on "poor" fields. It's a balancing act between having him moving around & how much sugar he gets down himself from the grass, not to mention the risk of him getting gassy & colicing.

I've changed two things recently & he's really perked up - one is I'm feeding cooked linseed meal (for the oil) & the other is he's getting Propell Plus. I need to start riding him again next week & judging by how he's been the last couple of days that could be "fun"!

sqippa

Visit site
Well the fact he's been perky recently sounds promising for you!!

Turn out is a real dilema area for me, he needs it and doesn't seem to be so much affected by spring grass but the wet weather we are getting is more what gives him trouble. But the new grass growth has given me another challenge......he doesn't want his breakfast and so I can't get as much oil down him!

Good luck with managing yours and with the ride.

Sqip

soulfull

Visit site
Beacon suffered from this for years and I too found that the new grass was worse for him than less turnout. Also would struggle to get him to eat his oil if he had had enough grass. I found restricting turnout was the only way to keep it under control

Cocoa

Visit site
Hi, a horse on my yard suffers from EPSM and his owner is very careful about controlling it and has done a lot of research around it. He has suffered from a few episodes recently. She is really in to making sure he doesnt suffer from it so I will ask her for her best advice. I think she feeds him on Nupafeed, I will find out which one. She also supplements him with electrolytes- Xtrolyte (blue i think?!).

sqippa

Visit site
Thanks folks,

Any advise on feeds, supplements or management ideas muah appreciated. Its so frustrating. He was diagnosed about 4 years ago and for the past 2 years has been really good with only minor blips. This current one which came on about a month ago is so much more severe and has really got me baffled!!

Sqip