Equ aide for proud flesh or anything else??

J1993

Visit site
My yearling had an injury in Aug it was a puncture wound to her hind fetlock. She was treated by the vet and the wound seemed to heal well. She was on grass livery about an hour away and was dealt with by the lady who had her. It seemed to have healed well with a little tuft of hair and a scab where the injury was. She then went on grass livery somewhere else and over the past few weeks as it's gotten muddy she's got mud rash and the wound although cleaned every week has developed proud flesh and re opened and now doesn't seem to want to heal. It's left a reasonable sized lump :( After researching online equ aide has amazing reviews for healing injuries and getting rid of proud flesh but at the same time I'm tempted to just get the vet and ask them to either cut back or get some of the copper stuff! The equ aide will be shipped from abroad as the lady has closed her shop so going to cost £70+ I want to know it's worth it first !!

J1993

Visit site
ek545v.jpg

Pic of said wound! Horse is now in and stabled so easier to now manage.

Dancing_Diva

Visit site
My vets gave me a good steroid cream for my mares leg when she developed proud flesh. Cannot remember the name tho but can check tomorrow for you.

Not sure on anything else that’s good for proud flesh tho unfortunately, so someone else might be of more help if wanted to use a product you can obtain without going to the vets.

lamlyn2012

Visit site
I would definitly get advise from your vet. You don't want infection getting into it.
Steroid cream may reduce proud flesh but can also delay healing so use with caution.

GirlFriday

Visit site
Silicone bandaging is very effective for this in humans (can be used after wound has closed) - might be worth checking if it can be used on horses too as it is safe, effective and delightfully non-invasive, as well as being somewhat cheaper (you could get quite a few bandages for 70GBP!). And unlike Equ aide not a secret...

claracanter

Visit site
When my horse had an open wound on his shoulder due to a field injury, we were given flamazine(?) to put on the wound and I used a razor blade to gently scrape off any proud flesh as it healed ( not for the squeamish) however the wound healed really well and he just has a little dent where it was 5 years on.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Copper sulphate solution will solve that. It's a tiny wound. Four decades ago my vet used it on a much bigger piece of proud flesh, but they like more expensive treatments these days!

Bec26

Visit site
I've used Equ aide and its amazing stuff. My mare had proud flesh after cutting her leg open on fencing, I had the vet out and she had antibiotics and flamazine and once it was healing I starting using the Equ aide. My instructor recommended it as she had used it for a similar injury on her horse and had great results

Nasicus

Visit site
Ask your vet about Vulketan Gel. Worked magic on my youngsters leg wound, every time it went proud during healing, we'd vulketan it for a few days and it would be flat again in no time.

irishdraft

Visit site
EquiAde is very good my mare had a nasty wire injury & it cleared it up I agree £70 is a lot but if you have to have the vet a couple of times it would probably work out more.

J1993

Visit site
I took the plunge and purchased some. The UK shop came back online so got it for £38 including postage. On the 2nd day of applying so keeping my fingers crossed I will notice a difference. How quick did you notice a change? I have already contacted vet and have an appointment arranged for wed too.