Equaide (for proud flesh) in pregnant mares?

Mugsgame

Visit site
Hoping to pick your brains as I have heard a lot about the use of this product for treating proud flesh? Even looking through posts on here noone has said they have used it without success, which sounds good - the trouble is, nowhere on the website does it actually say whats in it! I am sure it is some top secret recipe as a lot of these fashionable things are, but I am hesitant to use it on a heavily pregnant mare until I know its contents!! Hopefully someone on here may know the answers!

My mare has a wound on her fetlock which was healing nicely, until a band of proud flesh started to appear. Will probably head for copper sulphate if I can't find out anymore about Equaide, but it looked like such a useful product.

She is due to foal in 6 weeks, give or take, so it would be nicer to have her bandage free (if poss) by then!! :)

Angelbones

Visit site
I love Equaide, and use it a lot. I would have thought it would be find to use on your mare (it is water based) but have emailed them to ask. Will let you know. Alternatively, since it is good for use on old wounds with proud flesh, you could wait until after foaling to try it?

Mugsgame

Visit site
Thank you Angelbones, I didn't think of that!! Will be interesting to see what they say! Ideally I would like to get it to a better stage prior to foaling, if nothing else I would like to get the dressings off! The speed at which the proud flesh can take over concerns me, until recently there was none to speak of, but the last two bandage changes have shown progressively more. She is currently being treated with Fucidin but I don't think it has the power to beat back the proud flesh. I worry that if it was left to post foaling it could be out of control?

Ofcourseyoucan - sadly the last of the Demobium has left us! Do you think the honey and the sugar would work against the proud thats already there, or would you more use it to stop more developing? A friend of mine has also recommended this, I just didn't realise that it would be of use with proud flesh - maybe I should have used it from the start at she pestered me to!! ;)

Mugsgame

Visit site
you could get your vet to trim back the proud flesh...

I could - but honestly there's just not that much there at the moment (I should have taken a pic :) ) so my thoughts were more towards knocking back the limited amount there. Trying not to make a mountain out of a molehill (!) but the equaide sounded like good stuff to have around - wonder what it actually is?!! I wouldn't want to pay £30 for sugar syrup!!! ;)

ofcourseyoucan

Visit site
go for the honey. if in 10 days its not looking better then you can rethink. i would scrub of in 5 days and reapply honey. it really is good!

Angelbones

Visit site
Just had email back from Equaide (I do love their customer service!) and Tania there says that yes it is safe for use on pregnant mares. So that's good then :)

bounce

Visit site
Having never heard of Equaide I googled it to have a look. At £30 for a very small tub I think I would stick with manuka honey which not only helps with the proud flesh but also has the anti bacterial properties. Far cheaper and also scientifically proven that it works. Also completely natural and not going to give any other problems with a pregnant mare.

mga4ever

Visit site
Does Equaide or Honey work on older proud flesh. My pony has ropey scar tissue on his fetlock but this is a result of an injury a couple of years ago. Would anything work on this or should I just leave it?

Mugsgame

Visit site
Thanks all - some really useful info here! :)

Now I have a question about Manuka honey - of course you can buy a form of it in Tesco, at different ratings - what rating does it have to be to be deemed 'medical grade' ? Do people eat the medical grade version?!! Sorry - straying off topic a little but I am now curious! ;)

TBB

Visit site
We've found that mustard is really brilliant at dealing with proud flesh on wounds.You put the mustard on a pad and bandage it over the wound and leave it on for at least 3 days and then you repeat it until its gone. It was our vet who used it and we've successfully left it on for up to 6 days without any problems, at their advice, although it does smell a bit when you take it off but I guess thats it working! The vet also uses honey but more inclined to use the mustard if its a bad wound with proud flesh. Its just ordinary mustard thats used, last time it was 'Colman's' in a tube and did the job.

Mugsgame

Visit site
Just as a bit of an update, and thank you to everyone for their input, I ended up deciding to give the Manuka honey a go - but to be honest I was still a little sceptical!

All I can say is it is a shame my phone and computer aren't speaking to each ither at the moment otherwise I would upload the time line of photos! The honey (I used 10+ spread on some plain melolin) is working an absolute treat. Not only has all the proud flesh beaten a hasty retreat, the wound is looking great, very healthy and I guess the honey is also gentle enough to allow the skin to migrate at top speed. Next time the bandage comes off I expect to see something similar to a small cut, and all within three banadage changes (every 3 days).

I will definitely reach for this again (if I ever have to :( ) - cheap as chips and I didn't even have to protect the skin below as I would normally have done with copper sulphate. Would be very interested to know if it had any effect on the older proud felsh that somebody mentioned above - I guess it is very much horses for courses!! :)

tashnfrankie

New User
Visit site
Hi everyone,

I was just wondering if anyone had tried Proud-Aid proud flesh solution. I'm about to purchase some but its rather expensive and I was wondering if anyone here had heard of it and if its any good?

Frankie, got caught on some wire a couple of weeks ago and has developed a very nasty inflamed gash on his rear left leg. Someone told me it was developing proud flesh so I'm looking for the best solution for him.

He's my first horse an I've only been riding a short while so I don't have any idea what could happen to him if its not fixed.

Please help

Tash