Equest Pramox - cheapest place, or alternatives?

tobiano1984

Visit site
Just about to do my yearly Equest Pramox'ing of the yard, and noticed that it's gone up several ££ since last year..! Looks like it's now bigger, which is completely unecessary for me, and can't seem to get the smaller one anymore.

So - where's the cheapest place to get it currently? Or are there any alternatives with moxidectin/praziquantel in them?

Just FYI - we're on a worm counting programme, all horses are zero for egg counts (checked quarterly) and so the lab recommend we just worm with a combi wormer like Pramox after a few frosts at the beginning of each year I think to target tapeworm and encysted redworm...

BlueEyes97

Visit site
Have you tried place like Mole Valley as I have seen they do an alternative to equest pramox and bit cheaper but I can't remember the name.

Borderreiver

Visit site
There is no equivalent wormer to Equest Pramox. There are no generic moxidectins as it is still under the original licence. The mole one you are thinking of is an ivermectin combination.

tobiano1984

Visit site
******.co.uk are still selling the 575kg syringe and were the cheapest I could find.

ok how about 'rhymes with BioVet'

Haha bizarre rules..! I've just looked though and can only see pramox in the 700kg, just normal Equest comes in both sizes? Annoying - that's who I bought from last year

Audacity

Visit site
If you use biovet I have an offer code for a 1st order - VRCVPZI1G gives £3 off for 1st order over £20 & they have free postage.

poiuytrewq

Visit site
I thought the Mole Valley one was the same as Pramox also. It's marketed that way.
I used it after frost in early winter thinking it covered me but soon realised it doesn't target encysted worms so I'm doing that now!

JCWHITE

Visit site
Pet Medecine Company, Warwick,
good prices, fab service, free postage uk over £20.
My order placed with PMC today, although 700k size Pramox it had to be.

Spreebok

Visit site
I will double check with the lab but we've used Westgate labs for several years and this is what we've done since starting worm counts...

If it's any help, I spoke to them an hour ago on the phone (New Horse came back with 2400epg count for redworms! Was supposedly wormed with Molemec in Jan by previous owner) and they recommended me to use Equest Pramox.

FairyLights

Visit site
2400 understandable it needs worming. my vet recommends 5 day panacur for such cases as this, more gentle on the innards, then a separate tapeworm wormer after the course of panacur eg Equitape which contains praziquantel which kills all 3 types of tapeworm.
as few horses these days are wormed with fenbendezole ie panacur as a matter of routine these days resistance isnt usually a problem. its more of an issue in sheep which are routinely dosed with panacur.

JillA

Visit site
My local wormer lady, who not only teaches at an equine college but also does on site FECs reckons when the weather warms up redworms are no longer encysted, and as we have no evidence of eggs in the samples all I need to do is tapes. She should know.
The syringes are all the wrong sizes for my lot (most need one and a bit) so I am going with the tablets this year, when the cold weather is gone.

Borderreiver

Visit site
Lots of different ways to control worms and choices to be made. We often do recommend 5 day Panacur for some situations but you have to be careful because believe me there is a huge amount of resistance. Once the worms are resistant to the drug this is for ever so even if not much used these days the resistant worms are still there. If you use Panacur you must do a retest two weeks later. Sometimes these come back higher than the original count, but sometimes it is effective or partially so. There is some resistance to every drug now, very worrying, so get your friends to stop giving wormer doses all year and go on to testing.

2400 is high but not massively so. If the horse is in good health then Equest Pramox is a good choice.

Don't forget we can now test for tapeworm too. One of mine had been wormed for tapeworm with praziquantel in spring yet tested high in summer, very unexpected. Since double dosing with pyrantel last summer he has remained low, tested every fortnight on a special trial along with others also low and not needing treating. Sorry off the topic but it is interesting!

spike123

Visit site
i used hyperdrug this time. Ordered at 3pm one day was here just after 10am the next and was cheapest i could find at the time online.

glenruby

Visit site
JillA - she's wrong. I have had fwec this week on horses which have clinical signs and biochemical markers of horses with severe cyathostome infestation - no red worms on fwec. This is quite a common situation. The land is still very wet and it's cold, cyathostome are still a high risk.